Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Scarlett
    Neil, what you fail to realise - through ignorance or bias - was that because there was very little bowling support opposition batsmen frequently blocked out Hadlee and scored runs from the pie-throwers at the other end. This made Hadlee work bloody hard for his wickets.
    The same often happens to Muralitharan. Either way, I'm not about to start an argument over who the greatest bowler of all time is. I've already said that Hadlee is one of the greats, and I don't believe that it's worth arguing who is the best out of six or seven fantastic players as equally decent cases can be made for all of them.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    The same often happens to Muralitharan. Either way, I'm not about to start an argument over who the greatest bowler of all time is. I've already said that Hadlee is one of the greats, and I don't believe that it's worth arguing who is the best out of six or seven fantastic players as equally decent cases can be made for all of them.
    Hear hear .

Cricket Spectator

its unfair

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Hear hear .
    its unfair not having sachin there..the kind of pressure he takes on and kind of quality he has i am sorry to say the wisden cricketers list is unfair....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford_GTHO351 View Post
    Sir Donald Bradman
    Sir Garfield Sobers
    Sir Jack Hobbs
    Shane Warne
    Sir Vivian Richards

Do you all agree with Wisden's choices for their five cricketers of the century or should someone else be in that list?
    Imran Khan was a better cricketer than all of them with the exception of mighty Sir Don Bradman.And Shane Warne doesn't deserve to be on that list.
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 14-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atulduggal View Post
    its unfair not having sachin there..the kind of pressure he takes on and kind of quality he has i am sorry to say the wisden cricketers list is unfair....
    No. I don't agree with that list, but I wouldn't have Tendulkar there either. Mine would include Barnes, Sobers and Bradman for sure and the other two would be up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    Imran Khan was a better cricketer than all of them with the exception of mighty Sir Don Bradman.And Shane Warne doesn't deserve to be on that list.
    No, I have to disagree with the first part. I certainly would not have Tendulkar, and probably not have Imran either. But then again, I agree that Warne shouldn't be there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No. I don't agree with that list, but I wouldn't have Tendulkar there either. Mine would include Barnes, Sobers and Bradman for sure and the other two would be up for debate.

No, I have to disagree with the first part. I certainly would not have Tendulkar, and probably not have Imran either. But then again, I agree that Warne shouldn't be there too.
    Imran Khan was a better allround cricketer than all of them with the exception of Bradman,did much more for his team than most of them did and deserved to be placed at no.2 in that list.Imran Khan is well ahead of Tendulkar,Sobers,Barnes.For me the top 5 cricketers of 20th century are;

1.Don Bradman
    then daylight.......................................... ........
    2.Imran Khan
    3.Viv Richards
    4.Jack Hobbs
    5.Richard Hadlee
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 14-10-2007 at 01:01 PM.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think Warne deserves to be there, if only so you can get a spinner in. My list would be Bradman, Warne, Hobbs, Sobers and Marshall.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I think the original list is great but there are many guys that have a great case in being in there. Imran Khan, as has been suggested, being one.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I thought it almost perfect except maybe Warne was a little lucky
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    at the dig!
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I thought it almost perfect except maybe Warne was a little lucky
    a little?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    a little?
    get it?

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    get it?
    got it

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think we need to remember that the list was put out in either 1999 or 2000. I think there were other players who may have gotten in ahead of Warne, but one needs to remember that Murali's impact at that time was not what Warne's had been. That may well be different now, and please bare in mind that by impact in this context, I mean the effect on the way the game was played.
    By the late 80s, there was a school of thought that spin bowling was dead away from the subcontinent, owing to the Windies dominance, which a lot of other sides tried to copy. Certainly, front line spinners were largely an after-thought in ODIs, with the slow bowling often done by part-timers or by finger spinners. Leggies were almost unheard of in that form of the game.
    So, I can see why the panel picked him from that point of view. Personally, I would have had any number ahead of him, but then I'd have had a few ahead of Viv as well.
    A few posters from the old part of the thread mentioned Lara, but iirc, he went through a bit of a trot in the late 90s when his average dropped below 50 for a time. That may explain why he didn't get as many votes as he otherwise would have if the poll was conducted today.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    In my opinion, you cannot judge the impact of someone until a decade or so after they've retired, so I don't think any active or recently retired players should be on there. People's opinion of players often change after they've retired and the memory isn't as fresh anymore.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 14-10-2007 at 08:13 PM.

Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread Information