• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

funnygirl

State Regular
someone needs links ,statsguru what not, to recognise the greatness of a particular bowler .However one of the greatest peers of that particular bowler doesn't need any of these things to make an opinion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope. Two against Zimbabwe.

One against WI where he did 3/72 and 2/52. Hardly 'collapsing'. The other in NZ where he took 2/20 but Zaheer took 5/29. And he took 3/33 in the second innings, while two NZ'ers took 4/41 (And Tuffney took four twice in the match).
So they were against Zimbabwe, so what? Zimbabwe were Test-class at that time.

They may not have collapsed spectacularly like Pakistan did at Old Trafford in 2006 or West Indies at The Oval in 2004, but they still allowed Ashish Nehra to get better figures than he should be getting. Proving it happens to any bowler if they get enough chances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
someone needs links ,statsguru what not, to recognise the greatness of a particular bowler .However one of the greatest peers of that particular bowler doesn't need any of these things to make an opinion.
Indeed, and maybe in not doing so they might just ignore stuff they should be taking account of.

Dissector

International Debutant
My four easy picks would be Bradman,Sobers,Imran and Hadlee.

The fifth is a bit of a problem if we are being strict about the century. I would pick Murali but I don't think his achievements before 2000 merit inclusion.

Perhaps Hobbs though I seriously wonder about the quality of the pace bowlers in his time. Still, you probably need at least one player from the first 30 years of the century so Hobbs is probably the best choice.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway I think Akram over Donald, but not much in it, and on his day Donald was as good as any bowler in history imho:)
For someone who has a reputation for bashing Akram and the fact I adore Donald, it may suprise people that I have Wasim marginally ahead of Donald.

I would pay just to watch Donald runup and he amazed me on many occasions with his athleticism and fire, but I think I have to leave personal preference to one side and go with Akram.

They are both in that same bracket though, just a step down from the greatest.

shortpitched713

International Captain
U don't agree with me ,okay .But u know Ambrose agrees with me.:laugh:

http://www.hindustandainik.com/htcricket/60_1964719.htm
Donald himself called Wasim the greatest seam-bowler he'd ever seen.
Wise man that Lara. Border also said something along the lines of "If I could be born again I'd want to come back as Wasim Akram".
The interviews in question are up on YouTube. One thing you notice from them is how breathless Donald gets when talking about how good Wasim was.
Wait, my bad, he just said greatest.

But yes, he did, as well as swing.

Also Lara said:

Over my 15 or 16 years of playing international cricket in Tests and one-day internationals, Wasim Akram is definitely the most outstanding bowler I've ever faced. - Lara rates Akram better than McGrath
Yes, yes, next Dennis Lillee here we come!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For someone who has a reputation for bashing Akram and the fact I adore Donald, it may suprise people that I have Wasim marginally ahead of Donald.

I would pay just to watch Donald runup and he amazed me on many occasions with his athleticism and fire, but I think I have to leave personal preference to one side and go with Akram.

They are both in that same bracket though, just a step down from the greatest.
Thank you for that Goughy. The way this discussion was going I thought someone is soon going to place him one step 'up' from the greatest :)

shortpitched713

International Captain
Thank you for that Goughy. The way this discussion was going I thought someone is soon going to place him one step 'up' from the greatest :)
Nah, all we need is a couple of pointed questions at McGrath and Tendulkar and it will be done and dusted. Wasim Akram will be clearly known as the best bowler of our time. And how will we know that? Cause all of his peers said so of course. 8-)

funnygirl

State Regular
some people here who ''know every thing about cricket and are the final authority to say an opinion '' are the best cricket critics .And if some one says Wasim is okay ,means he is so merciful towards Wasim . Thats he is giving a favour .

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
some people here who ''know every thing about cricket and are the final authority to say an opinion '' are the best cricket critics .And if some one says Wasim is okay ,means he is so merciful towards Wasim . Thats he is giving a favour .
And some people here just don't know what the hell they're on about.

:p