Cricket Player Manager
Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Still mere opinions not facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Now that you cant really beat Sunny Gavaskar, you bring on ODIs and what next let's bring VIV's bowling as well.

Here is a clue - If you bring ODI, Tendu beats them both. Think about it.
    Tendulkar beats them both whether its test or ODIs

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyCrazy
    Tendulkar beats them both whether its test or ODIs
    Agree with Tests but is Tendulkar really a better ODI player than Richards?
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    IMO he is. He has scored over 13000 runs in ODIs. He has 37 centuries and 66 fifties. I think thats enough to tell me that he is better.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    IMO he is. He has scored over 13000 runs in ODIs. He has 37 centuries and 66 fifties. I think thats enough to tell me that he is better.
    if only it was as straight forward as that..Richards played less ODI's,and the game was different back then as well.

Theere is no doubt that Tendulkar must be considered the most successful ODI player of all time, although I ceratinly would not push Richards out of my team, he played THE best ODI innings I have ever seen (189* in 1984 vs England).

However,I dont think there has ever been anyone who has understood how to bat in ODI more than Bevan
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

I think it's the other way round! Tendulkar is an awesome ODI player, one of the very best. It's tests that he still has that little way to go IMO.
    You talking to IR?

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    if only it was as straight forward as that..Richards played less ODI's,and the game was different back then as well.

Theere is no doubt that Tendulkar must be considered the most successful ODI player of all time, although I ceratinly would not push Richards out of my team, he played THE best ODI innings I have ever seen (189* in 1984 vs England).

However,I dont think there has ever been anyone who has understood how to bat in ODI more than Bevan
    I think the 143 and 132 against AUS, the 186* vs NZ and the 98 vs PAK will be on par if not better than Viv's 189*. Bevan was a great finisher. I don't think he was that good in building long innings and big hundreds.

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chicane
    Bevan was a great finisher. I don't think he was that good in building long innings and big hundreds.
    He didn't have the chance to build big innings batting at 6. What he did, he did superbly.

I think it's the other way round! Tendulkar is an awesome ODI player, one of the very best. It's tests that he still has that little way to go IMO.
    hmm I would agree that he is going through a bad period in tests right now He did score 241* and 194* recently but he was far from his best. They were not free flowing innings that he is capable of. They were more determined knocks.

But i remember that 2 years ago, he was avearging like 59.6 or something like that. Since then, he has tapered off but I think he will be back better than ever.

A lot of ppl on this forum rate Lara higher than Tendulkar in tests. I don't think these ppl would have done that 2 years ago when Sachin was the epitome of consistency and Lara was getting out on very low scores (his average dipped below 50).

He didn't have the chance to build big innings batting at 6. What he did, he did superbly.
    He did it superbly no doubt. I agree with Swervy that he is probably the best player who understood how to play the game.

I just wish Australia tried him at number 4. I'm sure he would have been a big success. He would have achieved more than Martyn did. There was a time when they did try him at number 4 and he did brilliantly.

hmm I would agree that he is going through a bad period in tests right now He did score 241* and 194* recently but he was far from his best. They were not free flowing innings that he is capable of. They were more determined knocks.

But i remember that 2 years ago, he was avearging like 59.6 or something like that. Since then, he has tapered off but I think he will be back better than ever.

A lot of ppl on this forum rate Lara higher than Tendulkar in tests. I don't think these ppl would have done that 2 years ago when Sachin was the epitome of consistency and Lara was getting out on very low scores (his average dipped below 50).
    The Sydney test 1st Innings was only enjoyable for VVS and the fact that the aussies were getting caned. Sachin just cut out his best strokes. In tests, he needs to get a big triple (or mebbe 400 ) or two to complete his superb career.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    I think the 143 and 132 against AUS, the 186* vs NZ and the 98 vs PAK will be on par if not better than Viv's 189*. Bevan was a great finisher. I don't think he was that good in building long innings and big hundreds.

having not seen those first 3 innings, i cannot comment..but I did see Tendulkars 98 vs Pakistan in the world cup...trust me, Richards 189* in 1984 blows that away.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    having not seen those first 3 innings, i cannot comment..but I did see Tendulkars 98 vs Pakistan in the world cup...trust me, Richards 189* in 1984 blows that away.
    Pity you haven't seen them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Whereas Gavasakar played what is probably the Worst ODI Innings of All Time
    There are a few different reasons I have heard for that slow-mo from Gavaskar

1) He was Protesting against ODI (BBC)
    2) Team management screwed up --->Indian mysticism defies explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    There are a few different reasons I have heard for that slow-mo from Gavaskar

1) He was Protesting against ODI (BBC)
    2) Team management screwed up --->Indian mysticism defies explanation
    I think he had a problem with the captain too.. not sure.

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread Information