• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good stuff, imagine the poor batsman in grade cricket facing Bankstown with Thommo and Pascoe opening the attack:)
But that also looks like quite a reliable speed test, also indicating about where radars detect speed today, (judging from the background) can't believe Hadlee didn't do better in accuracy though.

archie mac

International Coach
But that also looks like quite a reliable speed test, also indicating about where radars detect speed today, (judging from the background) can't believe Hadlee didn't do better in accuracy though.
I think it might be a little slower than now, but not sure:)

Holding picked up a yard of pace in a few years time:)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think it might be a little slower than now, but not sure:)

Holding picked up a yard of pace in a few years time:)
Ah of course it's not their fastest and all, but a good representation of your average quickies throwing a few in. Very impressed with that vid.

stumpski

International Captain
its unfair not having sachin there..the kind of pressure he takes on and kind of quality he has i am sorry to say the wisden cricketers list is unfair....
Just to recap, Wisden polled 100 distinguished ex-players and cricket writers to compile this list, people who had played or seen many hundreds of Test matches between them and knew what they were talking about; what's 'unfair' about that exactly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not having this argument yet again8-) Except to say they can both be considered the best seamer and the best since Bradman without anyone raising an eyebrow:)
You think they can; I think to consider either, especially the Richards one, is ludicrous.

No, let's not have this argument again. :dry:

archie mac

International Coach
Link?

I know he once said "I find it hard to believe there's been anyone better", but that is a lot different than saying "Viv is better than Bradman".
Just finished his bio (Botham) never metioned that, in fact he mentions a story of Thommo sending a few down to an 80yo Bradman with no pads, gloves or box, and although Thommo was not going flat out he was still 'sending them down' and Bradman played them off his legs with ease.

Botham thought this just incredible:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just finished his bio (Botham) never metioned that, in fact he mentions a story of Thommo sending a few down to an 80yo Bradman with no pads, gloves or box, and although Thommo was not going flat out he was still 'sending them down' and Bradman played them off his legs with ease.

Botham thought this just incredible:)
I can tell you a similar story of a seventy year old Col CK Nayudu facing upto India's fastest bowler of the early sixties, Rajinder Pal. Col Nyudu strpped into the nets with his necktie tucked in after taking off his immaculate jacket and after Rajinder Pal had sent him a couple from a short run up, chided him to bowl some aster stuff as befitting India's fast bowler.

Rajuinder Pal bowled from his full run up and the Colonel kept driving him in front off the wicket off either foot.

I was lucky to be watching as a wide eyed teenager and have never since questioned anything I heard about old timers as mere hype. :)

Colonol Nayudu died 2-3 years after that.

archie mac

International Coach
I can tell you a similar story of a seventy year old Col CK Nayudu facing upto India's fastest bowler of the early sixties, Rajinder Pal. Col Nyudu strpped into the nets with his necktie tucked in after taking off his immaculate jacket and after Rajinder Pal had sent him a couple from a short run up, chided him to bowl some aster stuff as befitting India's fast bowler.

Rajuinder Pal bowled from his full run up and the Colonel kept driving him in front off the wicket off either foot.

I was lucky to be watching as a wide eyed teenager and have never since questioned anything I heard about old timers as mere hype. :)

Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing:)
It is one of the most vivid memories of my early teens :)

He was amazing and the other players around the nets, who were just packing up for the day, stopped doing whatever they were doing and watched completely fascinated and then when Col Nayudu walked out after a dozen or so deliveries, everyone burst out with spontaneous applause.

JBMAC

State Captain

If I remember correct Nyadu was still playing First Class Cricket at the age of 68