• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we need to remember that the list was put out in either 1999 or 2000. I think there were other players who may have gotten in ahead of Warne, but one needs to remember that Murali's impact at that time was not what Warne's had been. That may well be different now, and please bare in mind that by impact in this context, I mean the effect on the way the game was played.
By the late 80s, there was a school of thought that spin bowling was dead away from the subcontinent, owing to the Windies dominance, which a lot of other sides tried to copy. Certainly, front line spinners were largely an after-thought in ODIs, with the slow bowling often done by part-timers or by finger spinners. Leggies were almost unheard of in that form of the game.
So, I can see why the panel picked him from that point of view. Personally, I would have had any number ahead of him, but then I'd have had a few ahead of Viv as well.
A few posters from the old part of the thread mentioned Lara, but iirc, he went through a bit of a trot in the late 90s when his average dropped below 50 for a time. That may explain why he didn't get as many votes as he otherwise would have if the poll was conducted today.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In my opinion, you cannot judge the impact of someone until a decade or so after they've retired, so I don't think any active or recently retired players should be on there. People's opinion of players often change after they've retired and the memory isn't as fresh anymore.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think we need to remember that the list was put out in either 1999 or 2000. I think there were other players who may have gotten in ahead of Warne, but one needs to remember that Murali's impact at that time was not what Warne's had been. That may well be different now, and please bare in mind that by impact in this context, I mean the effect on the way the game was played.
By the late 80s, there was a school of thought that spin bowling was dead away from the subcontinent, owing to the Windies dominance, which a lot of other sides tried to copy. Certainly, front line spinners were largely an after-thought in ODIs, with the slow bowling often done by part-timers or by finger spinners. Leggies were almost unheard of in that form of the game.
So, I can see why the panel picked him from that point of view. Personally, I would have had any number ahead of him, but then I'd have had a few ahead of Viv as well.
A few posters from the old part of the thread mentioned Lara, but iirc, he went through a bit of a trot in the late 90s when his average dropped below 50 for a time. That may explain why he didn't get as many votes as he otherwise would have if the poll was conducted today.
TBH Murali should be nowhere near it either.

Thinking about it some more, I'd have something like this (in no order):

1. Bradman
  2. Barnes
  3. Hobbs
  4. Sobers
  5. Lillee*

*Remember, this is the biggest 'impact', not necessarily the 'best'. Considering the reverence with which Lillee is held, I'd have him there even though (in my opinion) there were several pure bowlers who were better (Marshall, McGrath, and a couple more) and his impact is undeniable. With that said, I am willing to be convinced that someone else except Lillee belongs on there, but I think the other four are very solid and should remain.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah thats a pretty strong top 5 there SS. Wasn't there a thread around that Francis made that had the top 10 cricketers of all time by everyone? I had a pretty good top 10 there if somebody could dig that up, though it may have been top 10 overall cricketers not just Test players.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Anyway, brilliant arguments for your selection. Here's my top 10 (includes not only the test players):

1. Sir Donald Bradman
2. Sir Garfield Sobers
3. Imran Khan
4. WG Grace
5. George Headley
6. Jack Hobbs
7. Keith Miller
8. Bart King
9. Sydney Barnes
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
Never mind, found it. Was pretty happy with that tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, Bart King actually might have been the first bowler to come up with reverse swing (he probably did not know exactly how it was happening). Troy Cooley analyzed his action based on accounts and all the pictures that depict him in his action, and according to him, his action is pretty much ideal for it. The only thing that would be required is if he had the requisite pace to bowl it, and that of course is unknown.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
even taking all that into consideration, he still doesn't belong in such a list...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In alphabetical order

Bradman
Grace
Hobbs
Sobers​

I cant chose a fifth between SF Barnes and Viv Richards :@

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
So here is my revised list - still in alphabetical order (for I think the greatest five amongst thousands) do not deserve to compared with anyone. They all stand alone and are incomparable.

• Barnes SF
  • Bradman DG
  • Hobbs JB
  • Richards IVA
  • Sobers GSA