• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

chicane

State Captain
a massive zebra said:
Agree with Tests but is Tendulkar really a better ODI player than Richards?
I think it's the other way round! Tendulkar is an awesome ODI player, one of the very best. It's tests that he still has that little way to go IMO.

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:
if only it was as straight forward as that..Richards played less ODI's,and the game was different back then as well.

Theere is no doubt that Tendulkar must be considered the most successful ODI player of all time, although I ceratinly would not push Richards out of my team, he played THE best ODI innings I have ever seen (189* in 1984 vs England).

However,I dont think there has ever been anyone who has understood how to bat in ODI more than Bevan
I think the 143 and 132 against AUS, the 186* vs NZ and the 98 vs PAK will be on par if not better than Viv's 189*. Bevan was a great finisher. I don't think he was that good in building long innings and big hundreds.

a massive zebra

International Captain
chicane said:
Bevan was a great finisher. I don't think he was that good in building long innings and big hundreds.
He didn't have the chance to build big innings batting at 6. What he did, he did superbly.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
chicane said:
I think it's the other way round! Tendulkar is an awesome ODI player, one of the very best. It's tests that he still has that little way to go IMO.
hmm I would agree that he is going through a bad period in tests right now He did score 241* and 194* recently but he was far from his best. They were not free flowing innings that he is capable of. They were more determined knocks.

But i remember that 2 years ago, he was avearging like 59.6 or something like that. Since then, he has tapered off but I think he will be back better than ever.

A lot of ppl on this forum rate Lara higher than Tendulkar in tests. I don't think these ppl would have done that 2 years ago when Sachin was the epitome of consistency and Lara was getting out on very low scores (his average dipped below 50).

ReallyCrazy

Banned
a massive zebra said:
He didn't have the chance to build big innings batting at 6. What he did, he did superbly.
He did it superbly no doubt. I agree with Swervy that he is probably the best player who understood how to play the game.

I just wish Australia tried him at number 4. I'm sure he would have been a big success. He would have achieved more than Martyn did. There was a time when they did try him at number 4 and he did brilliantly.

chicane

State Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
hmm I would agree that he is going through a bad period in tests right now He did score 241* and 194* recently but he was far from his best. They were not free flowing innings that he is capable of. They were more determined knocks.

But i remember that 2 years ago, he was avearging like 59.6 or something like that. Since then, he has tapered off but I think he will be back better than ever.

A lot of ppl on this forum rate Lara higher than Tendulkar in tests. I don't think these ppl would have done that 2 years ago when Sachin was the epitome of consistency and Lara was getting out on very low scores (his average dipped below 50).
The Sydney test 1st Innings was only enjoyable for VVS and the fact that the aussies were getting caned. Sachin just cut out his best strokes. In tests, he needs to get a big triple (or mebbe 400 ;) ) or two to complete his superb career.

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
I think the 143 and 132 against AUS, the 186* vs NZ and the 98 vs PAK will be on par if not better than Viv's 189*. Bevan was a great finisher. I don't think he was that good in building long innings and big hundreds.

having not seen those first 3 innings, i cannot comment..but I did see Tendulkars 98 vs Pakistan in the world cup...trust me, Richards 189* in 1984 blows that away.

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:
having not seen those first 3 innings, i cannot comment..but I did see Tendulkars 98 vs Pakistan in the world cup...trust me, Richards 189* in 1984 blows that away.
Pity you haven't seen them.

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:

Sachins 143 and then 134 (2 in a row) V/ AUS in Sharjah would be hard to blow away by anyone

tooextracool

International Coach
Sehwag309 said:
Sachins 143 and then 134 (2 in a row) V/ AUS in Sharjah would be hard to blow away by anyone
those were 2 of the best innings i have ever seen,but for richards to have averaged 47 while playing better bowling attacks on worser pitches is quite remarkable. if he had been playing in this era its no telling what he would have done.

chicane

State Captain
tooextracool said:
those were 2 of the best innings i have ever seen,but for richards to have averaged 47 while playing better bowling attacks on worser pitches is quite remarkable. if he had been playing in this era its no telling what he would have done.
Likewise there's no telling how Sachin and Lara would've played on those times, for they have been the pinnacles of batting in this era.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
WRT Richards' 189*. The West Indies made 272-9.

FoW: 1-5 (Haynes), 2-11 (Greenidge), 3-43 (Richardson),
4-63 (Gomes), 5-89 (Lloyd), 6-98 (Dujon), 7-102 (Marshall),
8-161 (Baptiste), 9-166 (Garner).

That's 106* for the last wicket with Michael Holding (12*). The 59 added for the eighth wicket was with Eldine Baptiste (26), second highest scorer. Extras made 10 as number four.

Quite simply incredible.

chicane

State Captain
Neil Pickup said:

That's 106* for the last wicket with Michael Holding (12*). The 59 added for the eighth wicket was with Eldine Baptiste (26), second highest scorer. Extras made 10 as number four.

Quite simply incredible.
Very True. Really wanna see it.
Funny though that with India collapses never happened as long as Sachin was there, only after he was gone. :happy:

chicane

State Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Quite simply incredible.
Kapil's innings at Turnbridge Wells was in similar conditions.

Swervy

International Captain
ok...fair enough I am sure those two innings by Tendulkar were brilliant...but things to consider,one was in a losing effort,both innings he didnt see through to the end,and playing in the dry conditions of Sharjah must be consdered easier than playing on an overcast day at Old Trafford.

that last patnership of Richards and Holding, i think the score had been 166/9 in the 45th over (something like that anyway)...then Ricahrds just went berserk...hitting like you wouldnt beleive...in the space of a few overs he had taken WI from a losing position to what in those days was a massive score.

If you havent seen the score card grab a look

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1984/WI_IN_ENG/WI_ENG_TEX_ODI1_31MAY1984.html

I doubt i will see anything like it again in my life time

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
Kapil's innings at Turnbridge Wells was in similar conditions.
first off, it is a smaller ground than old trafford, and then it was against Zimbabwe...in 1983 (so a non-test team, although they had upset Australia a bit before then)

However, it was a great allround performance by Dev, i think India were 18 for 5 or something at one time.