• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Swervy

International Captain
orangepitch said:
This isnt a list of players who were the best, or even of players who had maximum impact on people.

This is a list of players who had maximum impact on those actually voting for it.

No wonder there are flaws.
no-one ever suggested it wasnt flawed..i am sure even Wisden said that a list like this would spark debate all round the world...that is the nature of a poll such as this.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
England's batting was a lot better they had a number of players who averaged 40+ New Zealand had few and the 'playing as a team' thing is one of the reasons why New Zealands bowling attack was better.
well since you havent mentioned the part about gavaskar, im assuming that you agree with me and that stats dont show gavaskar to be a better player.
there were also many indian players in 2000 who averaged above 40 too and how good were they again?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
4th test india 705/7 declared and 211/2 declared
australia 474 and 357/6

Interesting definition of follow on there...

sorry mate, but we did have them before they reached the point of avoiding Follow On, we just didn't enforce it......

tooextracool

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Yeah I was just thinking along your lines.

Richards when he batted, he went out to murder the bowlers and thats where the impact thing comes into the criteria of Wisden's five.
well if we're stressing on the wisden 5 then since richards was light years ahead of gavaskar as an ODI player(and all others in his generation too) doesnt that merit his inclusion too?

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
well if we're stressing on the wisden 5 then since richards was light years ahead of gavaskar as an ODI player(and all others in his generation too) doesnt that merit his inclusion too?
Yes of course.

Whilst there is debate to whether Richards or Gavaskar was the better Test batsman, Richards ODI performances (and career record) were so much better than Gavaskar's & his impact on ODI batting has left a lasting impression on many.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
yep i agree Richards was a FAR FAR better OD player. That should also count in a poll like this. In tests, I would say (IMHO), I would pick gavaskar ahead of Richards but just slightly.

BTW this thread has become real popular and sparked nice debates. good one ford.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Yes of course.

Whilst there is debate to whether Richards or Gavaskar was the better Test batsman, Richards ODI performances (and career record) were so much better than Gavaskar's & his impact on ODI batting has left a lasting impression on many.
Whereas Gavasakar played what is probably the Worst ODI Innings of All Time :)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Whereas Gavasakar played what is probably the Worst ODI Innings of All Time :)

oh yeah that innings. I have heard so much about it. Gavaskar was against OD cricket and did it on purpose. He has since apologised for it. But yeah, he was not a good OD player at all.

Considering both OD and test cricket, Richards is better than Gavaskar

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Its a bit hard for Gilchrist to score a big hundred in a Test considering he comes in at No.7
I know, but isn't funny to suggest that 'Gilchrist's Big hundreds get more attention than Dravid' when he has only one big hundred to show off ?? :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And of course Gavaskar's average never shot up after playing weak teams did it (including the 2 series that he played against the weak West Indian attacks that vastly inflate his average against them)
You are talking as if Viv Richards got to play against the mighty WI attack and averaged 100 against them. :lol:

marc71178 said:
If he were such a great player against them, how come on occasion he dropped himself to number 4 when the Windies had their full attack out?
You know, ignorant comments like that really **** me off. You will just go to any extent to make up stories about sunny. Sunny only batted once in the Middle order and that was under Kapil Dev where he scored his highest score of 236 not out. It seems to me that it hurts your ego little too much to see an Indian batsmen having done so well.
And yes, He was a Great player who never dropped himself down the batting order to avoid the WI Full attack but I do remember VIV Richards dropping himself to 8th position against Pakistan to avoid the pace attack of Imran Khan and Wasim Akram ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Polls cannot be a reliable judge as they can easily be hijacked
And what was that Wisden thing about ?? Wasn't that a poll as well only difference was that it was limited to 100 people.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Yes of course.

Now that you cant really beat Sunny Gavaskar, you bring on ODIs and what next let's bring VIV's bowling as well.

Here is a clue - If you bring ODI, Tendu beats them both. Think about it. :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
And what was that Wisden thing about ?? Wasn't that a poll as well only difference was that it was limited to 100 people.
Internet Poll vs Survey

Uncontrolled Response vs Controlled Response

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Sanz said:
Now that you cant really beat Sunny Gavaskar, you bring on ODIs and what next let's bring VIV's bowling as well.

Here is a clue - If you bring ODI, Tendu beats them both. Think about it. :p
Tendulkar beats them both whether its test or ODIs

ReallyCrazy

Banned
a massive zebra said:
Agree with Tests but is Tendulkar really a better ODI player than Richards?
IMO he is. He has scored over 13000 runs in ODIs. He has 37 centuries and 66 fifties. I think thats enough to tell me that he is better.

Swervy

International Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
IMO he is. He has scored over 13000 runs in ODIs. He has 37 centuries and 66 fifties. I think thats enough to tell me that he is better.
if only it was as straight forward as that..Richards played less ODI's,and the game was different back then as well.

Theere is no doubt that Tendulkar must be considered the most successful ODI player of all time, although I ceratinly would not push Richards out of my team, he played THE best ODI innings I have ever seen (189* in 1984 vs England).

However,I dont think there has ever been anyone who has understood how to bat in ODI more than Bevan