• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Swervy

International Captain
obviously everyone has their own opinions on this, but the wisden list looks pretty fair:

Bradman: the greatest run machine there has ever been and most likely there will ever be
Sobers:the greatest all rounder of all time and certainly one of the ten best batsman of all time
Hobbs:197 centuries....reputedly the greatest opening batsman of all time..and apparently better than Bradman on tricky pitches
Warne: revived the dying art of leg spin, infact revived the dying art of spin full stop.Never seen a leggie in my lifetime with as much control as he
Richards: the greatest natural batsman of at least the last 40 years

others that must have been close:
Hadlee;the greatest NZ player of all time,the best control of any pace bowler i have ever seen
Lillee: the complete fast bowler
Botham:the best all rounder i have ever seen,probably altered the course of a game with bat and ball more times than anyone in the last 30 years

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
I don't think Lillee was the complete fast bowler. Even Rod Marsh admitted he had weaknesses against left-handers and he was not that great at running through the tail.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
I don't think Lillee was the complete fast bowler. Even Rod Marsh admitted he had weaknesses against left-handers and he was not that great at running through the tail.
ok...as complete as you will see....all bowlers have a weakness,or at least a streghth which may make something quite good actually appear like a weakness (if you know what i mean)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
ok...as complete as you will see....all bowlers have a weakness,or at least a streghth which may make something quite good actually appear like a weakness (if you know what i mean)
True, and Lillee was one of the best no doubt, but not totally complete. What weakness did Marshall have? IMO he is the most complete and best fast bowler ever (nothing against Lillee/Lindwall/McGrath/Trueman/Holding/Ambrose/Hadlee/Donald/Imran/Wasim/Waqar etc who were also great).

Scallywag

Banned
ReallyCrazy said:
IMO tendulkar should have been in that list.

Viv Richards, from what I've heard from everyone, was a very great batter. But comparing with tendulkar's record, he is below him against every team.
Richards was absolutely awesome, but Tendulkar is a ball tamperer and does not deserve to be in such good company. Plus he is a lousy captain which indicates that he is only concerned with his own game. When it comes to team players Tendulkar is a self centered batsman that does nothing for the team.

Sudeep

International Captain
Swervy said:
obviously everyone has their own opinions on this, but the wisden list looks pretty fair:

Bradman: the greatest run machine there has ever been and most likely there will ever be
Sobers:the greatest all rounder of all time and certainly one of the ten best batsman of all time
Hobbs:197 centuries....reputedly the greatest opening batsman of all time..and apparently better than Bradman on tricky pitches
Warne: revived the dying art of leg spin, infact revived the dying art of spin full stop.Never seen a leggie in my lifetime with as much control as he

Hadlee;the greatest NZ player of all time,the best control of any pace bowler i have ever seen
Botham:the best all rounder i have ever seen,probably altered the course of a game with bat and ball more times than anyone in the last 30 years
Totally agree with you. Though I believe Tendulkar can also be added to must-have-been-close list. He had such an impact on Indian cricket in the 90s, that I haven't seen any player have on his team ever.

I believe Warne is the best spinner ever to have played cricket. Disagree with me, but I won't change what I believe.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Bradman, Sobers & Hobbs I can dig but Viv Richards & Warne? If it is impact then how about Abdul Qadir? Also Sunny Gavasker, I would say he has had a bit of an impact. Cretainly Imran & Sachin have had impacts. Lille was a fast bowler personified ..How about Wasim? A truly unique bowler.

Impact cannot be the only criteria otherwise Ali Bacher would be in there :)

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Richards was absolutely awesome, but Tendulkar is a ball tamperer and does not deserve to be in such good company. Plus he is a lousy captain which indicates that he is only concerned with his own game. When it comes to team players Tendulkar is a self centered batsman that does nothing for the team.
Murali was absolutely awesome, but warne is a drug cheat and does not deserve to be in such good company.Plus he is a lousy captain which indicates that he is only concerned with his own game.When it comes to great players warne is a phone *** centered bowler that does nothing for the team.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
Totally agree with you. Though I believe Tendulkar can also be added to must-have-been-close list. He had such an impact on Indian cricket in the 90s, that I haven't seen any player have on his team ever.

I believe Warne is the best spinner ever to have played cricket. Disagree with me, but I won't change what I believe.
Tendulkar definately would be in say the top 20 of all time i would have thought

Swervy

International Captain
Mecnun said:
Bradman, Sobers & Hobbs I can dig but Viv Richards & Warne? If it is impact then how about Abdul Qadir? Also Sunny Gavasker, I would say he has had a bit of an impact. Cretainly Imran & Sachin have had impacts. Lille was a fast bowler personified ..How about Wasim? A truly unique bowler.

Impact cannot be the only criteria otherwise Ali Bacher would be in there :)
Was Qadir as good as Warne???? NO
Was Gavaskar as good as Richards??? NO
Was Akram as good as Lillee??? NO

Sudeep

International Captain
Swervy said:
Tendulkar definately would be in say the top 20 of all time i would have thought
I reckon, in the top 10.

Actually it's difficult to name top 5 out of the whole lot, because each great player has been unique in his own way, and has contributed to cricket immensely.

I don't think I specified anywhere that impact on the country's cricket would be the criteria for this, I just said that Tendulkar made an impact on his side like no over ever has for any country, he has an exceptional achievement, that of being the God of Indian cricket. The criteria should be impact of cricket in general. And yes in that context, Wasim, Lillee, Imran, Gavaskar all deserve to be thereabouts of the top 10.

And one more thing, Warne for me is any day better than Murali. We have to keep in mind that Murali is the only strike bowler in SL, bowls 40% of their overs, and thus is bound to take more wickets than Warne, who might be bowling only 25% of Australia's overs when he is bowling. Plus, Warne has had the might of McGrath and Gillespie around him, who were as eager to pick up wickets as he.

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
i think it is a figure that has been disputed over..some people think 197 others think 199
Well what ever people think the figure is (197 or 199), his number of centuries is still :jawdrop:

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Swervy said:

I'd take Malcolm Marshall over Lillee any day. Marshall was IMO the greatest fast bowler ever.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Spetsnatz said:
I'd take Malcolm Marshall over Lillee any day. Marshall was IMO the greatest fast bowler ever.
Test Comparison
Marshall: 81 Matches, 376 wickets@ 20.94, SR: 46.7, Economy: 2.68 rpo
Lillee: 70 Matches, 355 wickets@ 23.92, SR: 52.0, Economy: 2.75 rpo

ODI Comparison
Marshall: 136 Matches, 157 wickets@ 26.96, SR: 45.7, Economy: 3.53 rpo
Lillee: 63 Matches, 103 wickets@ 20.82, SR: 34.8, Economy: 3.58 rpo

:lookaroun

PY

International Coach
Marshall for me too. But as has been said in the 'Greatest Quick' thread, they are all very close.

Scallywag said:
but Tendulkar is a ball tamperer and does not deserve to be in such good company. Plus he is a lousy captain which indicates that he is only concerned with his own game. When it comes to team players Tendulkar is a self centered batsman that does nothing for the team.
Yeah, good one mate.

I'll have an 8th of what you're smoking.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mecnun said:
obviously you have never seen richards bat....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
Plus he is a lousy captain which indicates that he is only concerned with his own game.
Try telling that to Hampshire supporters - they seem to be quite happy with
him.

He certainly seems to be getting the best out of the likes of Mascarenhas (for one)