• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Ive been bowling leggies for a good few years.. Albeit with some interuption and action problems etc...

Who inspired me?? You would never ever guess but SCG MacGill :)
Quick! Get MacGill on the Wisden list!

chicane

State Captain
aussie_beater said:
Anil Kumble and Mushtaq Ahmed have played most of their cricke tin the last 15 years and there is no way you can't call them decent leggies.Yes Kumble is an unconventional leggie but he is still a leggie nonetheless, and IMO Mushtaq in his prime was a brilliant leggie.
There you go...forgot about Mushi.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie_beater said:
Just one month before coming to India in that series in 1998, Warne was good enough to be the highest wicket taker(20 wickets) versus South Africa. So save the excuses.
In that series, he bowled a hell of a lot of overs, and if you have the autobiography, after the series was when the shoulder started seizing up.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
In that series, he bowled a hell of a lot of overs, and if you have the autobiography, after the series was when the shoulder started seizing up.
yes so you could argue that the 1998 series in India was too taxing for him physically and mentally too as Warne has admitted himself, but when he started out on that series he was perfectly alright and at his best.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
and perhaps the same thing can be said about SR tendulkar.
No, it can't be said about SRT. He has played better in The Ganguly era. His ODI avg is up by almost 10 runs per innings and Test avg is up by 4 runs per innings.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
. Add to the fact the he was bowling to the weakest Sri Lankan Batting line up in last 20 years
hahahahaha...thats funny...you obviously didnt see some of those Sri lankan teams of the late 80's then

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie_beater said:
yes so you could argue that the 1998 series in India was too taxing for him physically and mentally too as Warne has admitted himself, but when he started out on that series he was perfectly alright and at his best.
No, the shoulder started seizing up before the India series. Look, I am a pom, and don’t exactly like the Aussies, but some of them are sheer class and it’s pointless trying to argue it isn’t.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
I am a pom, and don’t exactly like the Aussies, but some of them are sheer class and it’s pointless trying to argue it isn’t.
Thats a rather racist thing to say and you obviously do like Warne.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie_beater said:
Anil Kumble and Mushtaq Ahmed have played most of their cricket in the last 15 years and there is no way you can't call them decent leggies.Yes Kumble is an unconventional leggie but he is still a leggie nonetheless, and IMO Mushtaq in his prime was a brilliant leggie.
Decent, but not in the class of Warne or O’Reilly. O’Reilly is another bowler I would vouch for to be on that list.

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
Why? Let me in on the joke too.
this is regarding Dev:

Out of the top 50 test wicket takers of all time,i think 37 of them have been pace bowlers...out of those 37 i have been lucky enough to watch live 28 of them...I struggle to find one single bowler of those 28 that was as average a fast bowler as Dev was

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
ok..lets not let this decent into the usual rubbish..i am Australian and I am certainly not offended by this, and I doubt anyone in their right mind would call that racist....lets leave that out of this discussion please

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
hahahahaha...thats funny...you obviously didnt see some of those Sri lankan teams of the late 80's then
I have watched and followed Sri Lankan Cricket from the Duleep Mendis/Roy Dias days and based on that I can safely say that Sri Lankan batting team of 80s with Duleep Mendis, Roshan Mahanama, Gurusinghe, Ranatunga, Desilva, Dias was much better than the present lot of Attapattu, Jayasuriya, Jaywardne and Dilshan etc.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Yep, I do like Warne, he inspired me to bowl the stuff. My point was, I don’t particularly like the rest of them, some seem ****y. But they are sheer class, there is no point pretending they aren’t. I am just guessing Warne isn’t exactly the most popular person on here – and I’m also guessing that some people may be using that to say he’s not as good as Murali. But it’s possible.

Also, how is that racist?

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Are you telling me that Warnie never played against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka before this series ?? And I am just curious to know How many people actually think that India hammed warne-less Australia . Add to the fact the he was bowling to the weakest Sri Lankan Batting line up in last 20 years and their batting is only 3rd from last after Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

AFAIK, aussies have got bigger beating in 1997,1998 & 2001 with warnie in the team.
some people will say anything to make an Aussie win look less creditable

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
No, the shoulder started seizing up before the India series. Look, I am a pom, and don’t exactly like the Aussies, but some of them are sheer class and it’s pointless trying to argue it isn’t.
The shoulder thing happened after the India series and so for all practical purposes Warne played that series being at his best. Look no one is saying Warne isn't good. He is brilliant. But does he deserve to be on that list of 5 is what is being debated here.

chicane

State Captain
The Sri Lankans didn't play Warne well but the aussies supposedly played Murali very well. Yet Murali bagged 2 wickets more than him. :cool:
Anywayz Warne's big test lies ahead in India against the Indian batting. He's fitter than ever and is in form. But so is the Indian batting:p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie_beater said:
The shoulder thing happened after the India series and so for all practical purposes Warne played that series being at his best.
The opperation was after the series. It started playing up before.

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:
this is regarding Dev:

Out of the top 50 test wicket takers of all time,i think 37 of them have been pace bowlers...out of those 37 i have been lucky enough to watch live 28 of them...I struggle to find one single bowler of those 28 that was as average a fast bowler as Dev was
His 434 victims were'nt morons waiting to get out. He was an above average bowler and a decent bat.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
some people will say anything to make an Aussie win look less creditable
No one doing any such thing. But it was in response to TEC's remark about Warne-less Aussie being hammered by India and Warnie doing so well in Sri Lanka.