• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Collingwood good enough to be a regular Test batsman?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Im not sure if he's up to it. He's never done anything eyecatching even in county cricket (the same could be said for S.Jones), but to be fair his ODI performances have been solid.

He is obviously highly thought of by the England management, but lots of awful players are highly thought of by the coaching staff - look at S.Jones, Batty, Dawson, McGrath, Snape, Sidebottom, Clarke, Foster. They have all played for England at some time or other even though they struggle even at county level. Surely someone who's being talked about as Nasser Hussain's replacement should have a better FC average than 31?!

What do you think?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Vaughan's average when first selected was 29.
Harmison has never torn up any trees in County Cricket.
Neither did Trescothick prior to selection.

If you selected on county stats the middle order would include Ramprakash and Hick.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've long since given up worrying about county averages.

Though I haven't seen much of Colly, I like what I have seen, and I reckon he's got that bit about him that sets him apart form average.

Having said that, I talked up Alex Gidman all winter, and he's now batting like me.

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Vaughan's average when first selected was 29.
Harmison has never torn up any trees in County Cricket.
Neither did Trescothick prior to selection.

If you selected on county stats the middle order would include Ramprakash and Hick.
Yes but your not answering my question. Do you think he is good enough to be a regular Test batsman?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I do think he is.

I firmly believe that but for that injury 12 months ago he would be a regular in the Test side now.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Hmmm, Strauss to me looks to have all the attributes required of a test player. I do hope they plump for Strauss first.

If you think county averages are not a good guide to test prospects, should England not select Pieterson when he becomes available even though he was been a revelation for Notts?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I never said that, but what I have always maintained is that County figures are not the be all and end all.

Leigh_Lancs

Cricket Spectator
Strauss, like Troughton before him, was I think picked in the wrong form of the game. When Troughton was picked for ODIs he had a season average of 80 in the CC and an average of 4 in the NCL. Work that out if you can. He;s done OK in the WI has Starus but I fear he may go the same way as Troughton.

Strauss looks to me like more of a test style player than Collingwood does, but I wouldn't be too fussy which one they pick when the time comes assuming they both maintain decent form. Pietersen should be picked for ODIs ASAP and if he does OK chucked straight into the test side.

Salivating at the prospect of him and Freddie in the middle order in the shorter version!!

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dont think Collingwood has the ability to make great inroads at test level...

I hope I am proved wrong though...

Strauss on the other hand, well I am impressed :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Leigh_Lancs said:
Strauss, like Troughton before him, was I think picked in the wrong form of the game. When Troughton was picked for ODIs he had a season average of 80 in the CC and an average of 4 in the NCL. Work that out if you can. He;s done OK in the WI has Starus but I fear he may go the same way as Troughton.

Strauss looks to me like more of a test style player than Collingwood does, but I wouldn't be too fussy which one they pick when the time comes assuming they both maintain decent form. Pietersen should be picked for ODIs ASAP and if he does OK chucked straight into the test side.

Salivating at the prospect of him and Freddie in the middle order in the shorter version!!
There were openings in the ODI side, and not in the Test side - simple as that.

Strauss hasn't done too bad in the ODIs from my point of view!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO Collingwood would be even better in Tests than ODI's and he's not exactly a struggling ODI player. Brilliant fielder and solid batsman. I can't see what would keep him back from replacing Hussain.

Strauss is a very exciting prospect for England also. Like Collingwood, he's not too young, but he looks a very solid batsman adept at rotating the strike and putting away the bad balls. No apparent flaws from my view, although he's played just ODI's, but he should be a useful Test player for England too... if he gets the chance.

tooextracool

International Coach
i think strauss deserves a place in the side ahead of collingwood, preferably in place of trescothick. his technique seems to suit the 5 day version more than collingwood's does. he seems to be a player who likes to play square of the wicket....a bit like mark butcher although his ability to play quality spin bowling hasnt been tested yet....while collingwood's has(and has been successful)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, feel free to - I will happily hold my hands up and admit I made a bad call here.

IMO if Vaughan is out next game, Cook should bat 3 and Bell 4.

At least then if Strauss misses the 3rd, Vaughan should be fit and Cook won't be thrown into open in a potentially series deciding game as a debut.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I wouldn't say Collingwood doesn't have what it takes just yet..

From what i've seen of him he just needs to realise it himself and he could do better, still that might not be good enough.