• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should South Africa apologize too

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Should South Africa apologize too?

Another thread on this topic can't hurt, can it?

We have seen tearful apologies and heavy punishments for the Australians involved in sandpaper-gate. They are broken to the point that their families are struggling. Their reputations are in tatters. Guess they have paid the price for their mistake.

Should South African cricketing fraternity apologize too for the behaviour of their team and crowds? See this to know where I am coming from: https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/c...risis-candice-warner/articleshow/63563969.cms

Discuss.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No....

or at least no more than any other nation needs to apologise for their crowds behaviour.

Borges

International Regular
It would be really nice if Faf came out and apologised for some of the behaviour of their supporters.
Rather than keep quiet, merely because Smith wasn't apologetic about the behaviour of the Australian crowds when SA toured.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't some CSA officials photographed with guys wearing those masks? Seemed like a concerted campaign, and certainly tasteless. Not sure how an apology would help at this stage though, and it doesn't justify what the Australians did.

The general public should allow them their space and let them serve out their suspensions in peace, enough of the public shaming.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Weren't some CSA officials photographed with guys wearing those masks? Seemed like a concerted campaign, and certainly tasteless. Not sure how an apology would help at this stage though, and it doesn't justify what the Australians did.

The general public should allow them their space and let them serve out their suspensions in peace, enough of the public shaming.
Those guys got sanctioned... and CSA apologised. Any extreme public actions have been kicked out of stadium. Which is more than many other boards do.

SeamUp

International Coach
That 'line' again.

I don't think we can blame anything on the SA players because when you are willing to give it and not receive it and then not hold your **** together then that isn't SA's fault.

Some of the abuse our players have had to face from Australian players and public is well documented. I could put examples but what is the point ? It isn't nice but this isn't the first time these things have happened.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think it is about time everyone went on Oprah and apologised to everyone else with tears and hugs and a free car for everyone!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, not like Australian crowds are saints and say and do nothing to touring sides is it?

About time they got the same back, the fact they couldn't handle it may mean they sort their own fans out in future, doubt it though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, pray God no

There should be an amnesty now, including Warner, Smith and Bancroft (but not Lehmann - he's still a ****)

the big bambino

International Captain
Just love the justification and moral equivalence of SA fans for their own sick and grubby behaviour. Just remember this is a country that had a match fixing captain, a twice sanctioned ball tampering captain, a ball tampering bowler, fans that physically threaten players in the race, fan that actually assaulted a ref on a rugby field and a cricket board that is happy to tolerate slut shaming employees. Oh they’ve got heaps to apologise for but they won’t. Because they are toxic arseholes who always dissemble to justify themselves.

Redbacks

International Captain
I don't think so.

We turned up as guests and brought the game into disrepute. We certainly owed RSA an apology for our behaviour.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think it's up to cricket boards to apologise for their fans. The only thing I think warrants a CSA apology is this:

Weren't some CSA officials photographed with guys wearing those masks?
.. and they did apologise for that.

Victor Ian

International Coach
As long as everyone justifies horrid behaviour with 'yeah, but you did it too' nothing's going to change anywhere. How about SA claim another victory and apologise for pathetic fans. They definitely don't NEED to but it would be nice if someone somewhere took ownership of ****y fans the world over and tried to say 'hey - you suck'.

Bolo

State Captain
As long as everyone justifies horrid behaviour with 'yeah, but you did it too' nothing's going to change anywhere. How about SA claim another victory and apologise for pathetic fans. They definitely don't NEED to but it would be nice if someone somewhere took ownership of ****y fans the world over and tried to say 'hey - you suck'.
I like the logic of this, but it's hard to see how it should be applied.

Here's the crowd behavior I recall and reactions this series:

Masks: apology given and evictions
Individual heckling Warner: eviction
Crowd booing at Newlands: no reaction

Evictions are worth far more than apologies. Not only are they making it clear that they behaviour is not representative, but they are actively seeing to prevent it. Proactive beats reactive.

Booing is never in good spirit, but this crowd had just watched the sandpaper on the screen. There shouldnt be a need to apologize for having fans who are not robots, even if you'd prefer they didn't do so.

In all, crowd behaviour has been better than just about any other series between the two sides. It just hasn't looked like it because player actions have cast a spotlight on it.

What I think RSA can do is apologize via Faf for the poor general spirit of the series in the presentation. I'm pretty sure Paine will man up to doing this, and it would be nice to see Faf do it as well.