• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sportsmanship is Dying

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Looking at ball tamperinggate,Golden Boy's recent mess with Canelo's positive drug tests, and countless acts of simulation and cheating in football/soccer every week, a pattern seems to emerge once busted.

1. Deny.
2. Yeah we did it but so what? Fook you!
3. Ok, let's talk about this. I need to be understood, I'm special.
4. Cry/appeal for sympathy/the devil made me do it, etc.

I'm getting seriously cheesed off with these liars, cheats and primadonnas we call role models. Perhaps it's a symptom of a greater societal malaise. Win at all costs. Screw everyone.

Not cool. Hope we see changes soon.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Not sure sports people are the best role models anyway.
As long as money is involved it won't change.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Sportsmanship shares an inversely proportional relationship with the amount of money involved. Combat sports like judo, wrestling, or amateur boxing still involve a healthy degree of respect for one's opponent. Seen in that light, a non-contact sport like cricket should have no need of gamesmanship, mental disintegration, etc. It's the money that brings out the worst in people.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure sports people are the best role models anyway.
As long as money is involved it won't change.
This. Much worse role models are film "actors" (quotes because majority of them are no better at acting than actors back in my university). People none the less idolize them.

the big bambino

International Captain
Looking at ball tamperinggate,Golden Boy's recent mess with Canelo's positive drug tests, and countless acts of simulation and cheating in football/soccer every week, a pattern seems to emerge once busted.

1. Deny.
2. Yeah we did it but so what? Fook you!
3. Ok, let's talk about this. I need to be understood, I'm special.
4. Cry/appeal for sympathy/the devil made me do it, etc.

I'm getting seriously cheesed off with these liars, cheats and primadonnas we call role models. Perhaps it's a symptom of a greater societal malaise. Win at all costs. Screw everyone.

Not cool. Hope we see changes soon.
Well when they are savaged by people, particularly the press, acting like wild dogs and lose their careers and income you can understand why they react like that.