• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
6-for for Olivier , 2 for Nortje & 1 each for Muthusamy & Piedt rapped things up quite quickly.

322/4 to 345 all out

Dendarii

International Debutant
6-for for Olivier , 2 for Nortje & 1 each for Muthusamy & Piedt rapped things up quite quickly.

322/4 to 345 all out
Olivier seems to deliver good performances for the A side, but I do think that may be where his ceiling lies as I wasn't overly convinced by his test performances. Although to be fair, he's only played five matches and hasn't done a great deal wrong in any of them. So for now it's probably reasonable to say that he's the best quick outside of the test squad, but I have my doubts as to whether he's a realistic long-term prospect at international level.

SeamUp

International Coach
Olivier seems to deliver good performances for the A side, but I do think that may be where his ceiling lies as I wasn't overly convinced by his test performances. Although to be fair, he's only played five matches and hasn't done a great deal wrong in any of them. So for now it's probably reasonable to say that he's the best quick outside of the test squad, but I have my doubts as to whether he's a realistic long-term prospect at international level.
Definitely. Someone has to now take his position from him through performance. But if we honest he may have to be patient because according to Steyn he wants to carry on playing test cricket after 2019 WC even.

Olivier through performance he jumped Viljoen, de Lange, Paterson & B.Hendricks deservedly.

Definitely an interesting period coming up. You feel the old school era which I still count Amla, Faf, JP, AB, Vern, Steyn, Morkel being is coming to an end fully soon.

SeamUp

International Coach
Breetzke just hit a punched 6 off the spinner over long offs head with ease. Just timing. Class.

Dendarii

International Debutant
You feel the old school era which I still count Amla, Faf, JP, AB, Vern, Steyn, Morkel being is coming to an end fully soon.
Definitely. They're all a similar age, so they were always going to leave at about the same time, but the one good thing is that it's been a bit staggered with Morkel and De Villers already gone and Duminy out of tests. That means that they've been able to bring new players into the fold while some of the old guard are still there, so that by the time they're all gone the likes of De Bruyn, Ngidi, and Bavuma will be established players with a substantial number of tests under their belt, and the team won't be a complete bunch of newbies.

Bahseph

State Captain
I've said it before and I'll vouch for it again, Olivier will be a serviceable third seamer for us behind Ngidi and Rabada. Especially with Keshav being as good as he has been for us.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Looks like some knock on the go by Zubayr Hamza 56* off 63 out of 80/1
So if we're looking for replacements for the outgoing players, he's definitely a leading candidate. You've got to think that he's going to make his way into the test squad (maybe not the actual team just yet) sooner rather than later.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I've said it before and I'll vouch for it again, Olivier will be a serviceable third seamer for us behind Ngidi and Rabada. Especially with Keshav being as good as he has been for us.
I can definitely see that happening. I suppose it's possible that we're being a little critical of Olivier because we're a little bit spoilt at the moment as he doesn't really measure up to the "third seamer" in our first choice attack of Steyn, Philander, and Rabada. :D

He could certainly do a job behind Rabada and Ngidi, but the one concern would be whether he could step up in their absence. That was where Morkel fell short, and I do feel that Olivier could have the same problem, which is why I'm not entirely convinced by him.

SeamUp

International Coach
You certainly have @Bahseph and you also feel that Olivier will thrive with KG & Ngidi pushing batsmen back and him knicking batsmen off. That is how his partnership with de Lange worked. Olivier isn't a slouch pace wise too and he can bowl long spells. The only concern are the 4-balls. I want him to diminish that and hoping he is working at that at Derbyshire.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So if we're looking for replacements for the outgoing players, he's definitely a leading candidate. You've got to think that he's going to make his way into the test squad (maybe not the actual team just yet) sooner rather than later.
He has got to be. Will be lined up as Amla's replacement I think.

Looking forward to watching him , Bedingham, Breetzke, van Tonder, Muthusamy as they have test potential to bat 3-6 and obviously along with (Markram, Elgar), de Bruyn, Bavuma, Mulder, QdK the future on that front.

Openers : J.Malan, Rickelton, de Zorzi (This is obviously the interesting part as test openers are so important & back-up for depth will be needed. Erwee doing himself no harm here if he scores big)

For middle order strikers and finishers for 5-6-7 for the limited overs side : Smith, Galiem, Savage, Kruger, Moonsamy, Makwetu

We haven't been spoilt keeping wise for such a long time : Klaasen, Second, Verreynne & Rickelton/Moonsamy/Makwetu can keep too for limited overs cricket.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You certainly have @Bahseph and you also feel that Olivier will thrive with KG & Ngidi pushing batsmen back and him knicking batsmen off. That is how his partnership with de Lange worked. Olivier isn't a slouch pace wise too and he can bowl long spells. The only concern are the 4-balls. I want him to diminish that and hoping he is working at that at Derbyshire.
Looking at KG and Ngidi we will would need a decent proper swing bowler and Olivier may fit that bill.... problem is if Philander and Steyn stay on after the WC think he may become a lost generation candidate. Be unfortunate for him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looking at KG and Ngidi we will would need a decent proper swing bowler and Olivier may fit that bill.... problem is if Philander and Steyn stay on after the WC think he may become a lost generation candidate. Be unfortunate for him.
Exactly. You just can't call what will happen in 2 years time. New kid on the block or someone finds better and more convincing form at the right time.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Unfortunate for him, but it would really be as a result of South Africa being in something of golden age for fast bowling right now. We all know how many good fast bowlers have been produced over the years, but I don't think it's ever been quite like this - it really says something when you consider that Kyle Abbott wasn't able to get a regular spot in the test side . So for Olivier not to make it would mean that someone better would have come along, which wouldn't be a bad scenario for South Africa at all.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Disgracefully given out LBW for 97 and he was well outside the line. Great knock under pressure.
He hasn’t scored many runs but I like the look of Pillay as well. Definitely some future international batsman in the side. I was wondering where Makwetu is but I see he is still playing for the U19s.

SeamUp

International Coach
He hasn’t scored many runs but I like the look of Pillay as well. Definitely some future international batsman in the side. I was wondering where Makwetu is but I see he is still playing for the U19s.
I was very impressed watching him in Club Champs, Titans pre-season game v Lions & Africa Cup last season.

Definitely think he should be an opener and I think being at Titans will only help. He loves playing on the up which is fine (it will be about his judgement & talent) & if he can tighten up his defence he can definitely be in the mix.