• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Also SA A played their warm-up game against India Board XI before test series

Tour Match, South Africa A Tour of India at Bengaluru, Jul 30 - Aug 1 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Can't say the tour has lots of future stars

Likely 4-day test XI

pieter malan
sarel erwee
zubayr hamza
khaya zondo
rudi second
senuran muthusamy
dwaine pretorius
shaun von berg
malusi siboto
beuran hendricks
duanne olivier

rassie van der dussen
dane piedt
mthi nabe
anrich nortje

LIMITED OVERS

pieter malan
temba bavuma
theunis de bruyn
rudi second
khaya zondo
farhaan behardien
dwaine pretorius
robbie frylinck
malusi siboto
junior dala
tabraiz shamsi

gihahn cloete
senuran muthusamy
beuran hendricks
dane paterson

SeamUp

International Coach
Been watching some of this SRL V SAF emerging while at work here. This is basically a lot of Sri Lankan A players who have played for Sri Lanka so its a good test for guys so early in their careers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Warm-up games always eventful. Maybe Pretorius will give up bowling :ph34r:
With some of the recent SA batting performances he has a better chance of getting into the team than through bowling......

On a serious note happy Hamza got a hundred, still rate him and its nice he has been scoring runs recently.

SeamUp

International Coach
With some of the recent SA batting performances he has a better chance of getting into the team than through bowling......

On a serious note happy Hamza got a hundred, still rate him and its nice he has been scoring runs recently.
:D

Theunis showed a bit of hard work and application. That 100 got to be up there in turn arounds of ability to play spin. He absolute smothered any spin with this reach. It was marvelous.

Yes. Zubayr is probably the batsman I'm looking forward to seeing how he does the most. Just because of the stage of where he is in his career and the potential and obviously Amla will need replacing . With P.Malan, Erwee, van der Dussen, Second they all basically 30 and are not going to get in ahead of the current incumbents in my opinion.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure how much of a chance he will get in the 4-day series for the A team with Olivier there but it was a really good season for Anrich Nortje. Will run in all day for the team.

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans involved in the New AbuDhabi T20. Should be a great experience for the younger lads away from home in a Titans environment with Mark Boucher. Guys like Agathangelou, de Zorzi, Moonsamy, Makwetu, C.Bosch I would imagine are the guys trying to lay their marker.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is a definite feel that the CSA (and franchises) are doing everything they can to get international experience for the local SA players, lots of tours for the Emerging, the SA 'A' teams... trying everything to offer more opportunity than just the local FC competitions.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how much of a chance he will get in the 4-day series for the A team with Olivier there but it was a really good season for Anrich Nortje. Will run in all day for the team.

I think Nortje is a serious fast bowler, haven't seen a huge amount of him but from what I have he has looked real awkward to face.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Nortje is a serious fast bowler, haven't seen a huge amount of him but from what I have he has looked real awkward to face.
There is definitely something to work with mate. He may not have stood out to me like Dupavillon, Rabada, Ngidi and more recently Coetzee have done but he definitely has a capabilities of being an international test work horse. If he backs up last season he will definitely force his way to be a starter in the A side.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is a definite feel that the CSA (and franchises) are doing everything they can to get international experience for the local SA players, lots of tours for the Emerging, the SA 'A' teams... trying everything to offer more opportunity than just the local FC competitions.
Our schedule this winter from u19 level up has been nothing short of impressive.

ECB always seemed to be the leaders here but I see they even had to make cuts recently : ECB budget cuts mean overseas programmes are cut - ESPNcricinfo

SeamUp

International Coach
De Zorzi just got a 100 and along with Rickelton (who has kept and opened) have done well in these opening two emerging tests. Some might say along with Janneman Malan the opening batsmen too watch this season coming.

I think Breetzke can open in limited overs but definitely 3-6 in FC as he just has all the strokes. Supposedly his 73 in the opening emerging test had locals ion awe. Will have to find time to watch.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Two proper players at the crease now. Van Tonder & Breetzke. If either of these 2 don't get at least 50 Test Caps something would have gone seriously wrong.

The back-foot drive from Breetzke had all the natural talent of Cullinan, Gibbs & AB in it.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Nice rude awakening for the A side against serious quality.

We basically playing some 3rd rate players who are being rewarded after the weakening of the domestic comp. Take Siboto - does anyone honestly see an international cricketer for a 31 year-old medium pace trundler.

With the batting - More excited about the emerging batsmen but Hamza & of course Second is definitely worthy of the A team.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Take Siboto - does anyone honestly see an international cricketer for a 31 year-old medium pace trundler.
Is the A team subject to the same quota as the national side? If so, that's the reason Siboto's there.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is the A team subject to the same quota as the national side? If so, that's the reason Siboto's there.
Of course it is & that is why I dislike quotas. We long past that now. This is sport not politics.

But saying that. It isn't only him. The whole system is lop-sided with the Kolpaks who themselves may or were never good enough but they had enough reason to lose the fight which is disappointing. We had to reward players who performed last season but you know a lot of them will never have Protea potential.

P. Malan, Erwee, vd Dussen, Zondo , Muthusamy (batsmen particularly) are perfect examples of players who if the system was strong would be in and out of franchise teams because of performance. In turn with the quotas and these guys hanging on for longer younger players aren't exposed early enough. It is a vicious cycle.

The talent is here in bucket loads. Just got to hope enough like QdK, KG types keep coming along.