• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will one of the provincial teams just get upgraded or is it a more complicated process?

SeamUp

International Coach
Will one of the provincial teams just get upgraded or is it a more complicated process?
The following provinces fall under the following franchises :

COBRAS

Western Province
Boland
South Western Districts

WARRIORS

Eastern Province
Border

DOLPHINS

KZN Coastal
KZN Inland
* KZN is one province but the split it to Durban and Pietermaritzburg

KNIGHTS

Free State
Northern Cape

LIONS

Gauteng
North West

TITANS

Northerns
Easterns
* No provincial team but Limpopo produces crickerers

Now the problem is each franchise contains one of the 6 main provinces : WP, EP, Free State, KZN , Gauteng, Northerns.

Back in the Currie Cup days Northern Cape (formerly Griquas) & Border competed with the big boys at different stages.

Facilities wise North West and SWD have a lot going for them.

Politically they may want Border but that would be unfair to the Warriors who probably with Knights produces the least cricketers these days.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
What is evident is that Kolpak aren't getting contracts. So far I think Kuhn & Vilas are the only one''s with 4/6 contract lists released . Nothing so far for Wiese, de Lange, Van Zyl and Levi. They will probably be available but on pay as you play.

Just waiting on Warriors (Ackermann, Ingram, Harmer) & Lions (Viljoen)

COBRAS CONTRACTED SQUAD

The Cape Cobras have named their squad for the upcoming 2018/19 season.

The leading run-scorer in last season’s national Sunfoil Three-Day Cup series and CSA Provincial One-Day Challenge as well as eight players aged 25 or younger have been included.

22-year-old Janneman Malan, who struck 500 runs in the One-Day Challenge and 1046 runs in the Sunfoil Three-Day Cup for North West - the most nationally, for which he won the CSA Sunfoil Three-Day Cup Cricketer of the Year Award at the recent CSA Awards - will make the trek across the Liesbeek to be available for the Cobras.

The younger brother of Pieter Malan is not the only exciting acquisition for the Cape side.

David Bedingham, 24, was the leading run-scorer for Boland in both the 50-over showpiece and the three-day semi-professional competition last season and is rewarded with a professional contract whilst fast bowler Tladi Bokako joins the Cape franchise from the Warriors.

One of the outstanding stars from last season, fast bowler Mthiwekhaya Nabe - who was nominated for the CSA Domestic Newcomer of the Season - has been rewarded for his efforts with his first professional contract.

All-rounder Ferisco Adams has also been promoted to a full professional contract after his sterling performances when called upon by coach Ashwell Prince last season.

“I am excited about the squad because there is a mixture of youth and experience. Last season we were 1 bonus point behind the leaders after the penultimate Sunfoil Series match of the season and we hosted the semi-finals of the Momentum One Day Cup competition, while the elements played a part in the knockout phases of the RAM SLAM T20 Cup competition,” said Ashwell Prince, coach of the Cobras.

“The team is not only in a rebuilding phase, but is there to compete and win trophies. And what makes this squad so good is its versatility, because 90% or more will be vying for spots in all three formats.”

Prince said Wayne Parnell was not contracted again for the national team for 2018 and will therefore be available to the Cobras for the entire season. Together with JP Duminy (available for the white-ball formats), Dane Piedt, Dane Paterson, Rory Kleinveldt, Aviwe Mgijima and Pieter Malan, they provide an experienced core to the team.

Kleinveldt is also available in all three formats.

Cape Cobras squad for 2018/19:

Ferisco Adams, Hashim Amla (Proteas), David Bedingham, Tladi Bokako, JP Duminy (Proteas), Dayyaan Galiem, Zubayr Hamza, Simon Khomari, Rory Kleinveldt, George Linde, Janneman Malan, Pieter Malan, Aviwe Mgijima, Mthiwekhaya Nabe, Wayne Parnell, Dane Paterson, Vernon Philander (Proteas), Dane Piedt, Jason Smith, Kyle Verreynne, Lizaad Williams

So no Dawood or Cohen is surprising for Cobras.
Add that too Roelofsen, Ackermann, Oakes, Dupavillon and Dugeon at Dolphins
Pillay, Brand, Hermann, du Plooy, van Buuren, Kaber, de Swardt, Campher, Mahlokwana, Peters , Trumpelmann at Titans.
Beyers Swanepoel for the Knights.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So they going to make Ramela captain ? :sleep:

Stephen Cook, who has captained the Highveld Lions in the One-Day Cup and Sunfoil Series for the past three seasons, has resigned with immediate effect.

Whilst Cook will continue playing for the team, this has been a decision that he felt he needed to take after much consideration.

“It has been an absolute privilege to have lead the team for the past number for seasons. I believe that much has been achieved and that during this time, the team has grown significantly. I have been at the helm when we have also overcome significant obstacles and am proud of what we have achieved,” commented Cook.

“With that being said, I believe that in a time of significant change, with a new era of the team dawning, it is the right time to step away from the position. I remain fully committed to the team, the new coach (Enoch Nkwe) and whoever replaces me as captain. I still believe that I have great value to give as a senior player and a leader, albeit without a title.

“I thank all the players, coaches, staff and management of the team for their support during my tenure and look forward to sharing in many more momentous occasions.”

Chairperson of the Highveld Lions, Oupa Nkagisang, thanked Cook for his contribution.

“Stephen has lead this team from the heart and we are appreciative of the contribution that he has made. Stephen is a seasoned campaigner who brought value to the team and his long term association with the team will never go unnoticed,” he said.

SeamUp

International Coach
Mfuneko Ngam announced as assistant for the Warriors.

Colin Ingram was always going to be cut I feel. There has been disagreements between him and union. Guess that puts any chance of a call-up for SA out the equation.

2018/19 contracted squad

Eddie MOORE (25)
Gihahn CLOETE (25)
Colin ACKERMANN (27)
Yaseen VALLIE (29)
Jon-Jon SMUTS (30)
Christiaan JONKER (32)
Matthew BREETZKE (20)
Lesiba NGOEPE (25)

Clyde FORTUIN (23)
Sinethimba QESHILE (19)

Simon HARMER (29)

Sisanda MAGALA (27)
Anrich NORTJE (25)
Andrew BIRCH (33)
Lutho SIPAMLA (20)
Aya GQAMANE (29)
Basheer WALTERS (32)
Sitehmbele LANGA (23)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Watched a bit of it. Nice character shown after Brunt's innings and being 6/2

Women's cricket is only going to get better I think withthe investment in it. Even got a women's academy squad.

Powerade SA National Academy Women’s Squad: Palesa Mapoo (Gauteng), Nadia Mbokotwana (WP), Saarah Smith (WP), Nondumiso Shangase (KZN Coastal), Izel Cilliers (Free State), Anneke Bosch (North West), Robyn Searle (Gauteng), Tumi Sekhukhune (Easterns), Stacey Lackay (Boland), Gandhi Jafta (Border), Lara Goodall (WP), Tatum le Roux (WP), Zintle Mali (Border), Faye Tunnicliffe (Boland)
The main squad is pretty settled at the moment.

Momentum Proteas squad:

Dané van Niekerk (captain, Eastern Province), Lizelle Lee (North West), Chloe Tryon (KwaZulu-Natal Dolphins), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Ayabonga Khaka (Gauteng), Masabata Klaas (North West), Raisibe Ntozakhe (Gauteng), Suné Luus (Northerns), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Andrie Steyn (Western Province), Zintle Mali (Border), Stacey Lackay (Western Province), Tazmin Brits (North West).

Dendarii

International Debutant
Women's cricket is only going to get better I think withthe investment in it. Even got a women's academy squad.
How big is girls' cricket at a school level? I ask because my sister teaches at an all-girls school which a few former international players send their daughters to. So you'd think that some of them would have inherited cricketing ability from their fathers, but the school doesn't have a cricket team.

I suspect that co-ed schools are more likely to have a girls' team because they would already have the facilities and the cricket programme. But a concerted effort to get all-girls schools to take up cricket might be a key step in improving the development systems.

SeamUp

International Coach
How big is girls' cricket at a school level? I ask because my sister teaches at an all-girls school which a few former international players send their daughters to. So you'd think that some of them would have inherited cricketing ability from their fathers, but the school doesn't have a cricket team.

I suspect that co-ed schools are more likely to have a girls' team because they would already have the facilities and the cricket programme. But a concerted effort to get all-girls schools to take up cricket might be a key step in improving the development systems.
Must admit. I'm not quite sure but it looks like improvements and investment are being made.

Take Laura Wolvaardt teen sensation - she went Parklands school which is co-ed. So there probably is validity to what you saying.

SeamUp

International Coach
The bizhub Highveld Lions has announced their squad for the 2018/2019 season. Comprising mainly of familiar faces and some fresh new talent, the squad has a solid base and some exciting prospects.

Newly appointed Head Coach, Enoch Nkwe, feels like these players are exactly the arrows he needs in his quiver. “As a coach, the ideal scenario is always to have depth in your squad of players. The group we have for the upcoming season give us the option to build a side that can adapt to conditions and requirements. We will be focussed on playing an aggressive brand of cricket, with our eyes squarely set on mastering the little things but also ensuring that we utilise those opportunities that might arise unexpectedly.”

“As a franchise we have the benefit of sourcing from two senior provincial setups that are consistently delivering and others have taken notice. Our goal is to retain those players that show exceptional potential and provide an environment where they can hone their skills and get ready to execute when we call on them,” commented Nkwe.

Migael Pretorius, Kagiso Rapulana, Malusi Siboto and Ryan Rickleton are the new additions to the squad of players. Rickelton and Rapulana’s contracts come after a highly successful season with the CGL Strikers and NW Dragons, the senior provincial teams that serve as a direct pipeline to the bizhub Highveld Lions.

The leadership of the team will be confirmed and announced during the course of this month.

The bizhub Highveld Lions squad for 2018/19:

Dwaine Pretorius

Reeza Hendricks

Omphile Ramela

Rassie van der Dussen

Beuran Hendricks

Dominic Hendricks

Mangaliso Mosehle

Nicky van den Bergh

Bjorn Fortuin

Wiaan Mulder

Wihan Lubbe

Yaseen Valli

Craig Alexander

Stephen Cook

Aaron Phangiso

Migael Pretorius

Kagiso Rapulana

Ryan Rickelton

Malusi Siboto

Kagiso Rabada (Proteas)

Temba Bavuma (Proteas)

Surprising that Valli & Alexander have kept their contracts. Considering they weren't pulling up trees in provincial. They must have signed 2-year deals last season.

Muhammed Mayet and Nandre Burger will be the best of the Gauteng Provincially contracted players.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So with that done. So potential SA 'A' and Protea players by franchise not including Kolpak players like Ackermann & Harmer who are franchise contracted.

Obviously some players have a way to go but will be interesting to see how the next season or two go for them.

COBRAS
Pieter Malan, Janneman Malan, Zubayr Hamza, David Bedingham , Kyle Verreynne, Jason Smith, Dayyaan Galiem, Dane Piedt, George Linde, Wayne Parnell, Dane Paterson, Lizaad Williams, Tladi Bokako

WARRIORS
Eddie Moore, Gihahn Cloete, Matthew Breetzke Yaseen Vallie, JJ Smuts, Christiaan Jonker, Sinethemba Qeshile, Sisanda Magala, Anrich Northe, Lutho Sipamla

DOLPHINS
Sarel Erwee, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Khaya Zondo, Senuran Muthusamy, Calvin Savage, Eathan Bosch, Robbie Frylinck, Okuhle Cele, Lwandiswa Zuma, Kerwin Mungroo

KNIGHTS
Rudi Second, Andries Gous, Raynard van Tonder, Patrick Kruger, Duanne Olivier

LIONS
Ryan Rickelton, Reeza Hendricks, Omphile Ramela, Rassie van der Dussen, Wiaan Mulder, Dwaine Pretorius, Mangi Mosehle, Aaron Phangiso, Bjorn Fortuin, Beuran Hendricks, Malusi Siboto, Migael Pretorius

TITANS
Andrea Aganthangelou, Tony de Zorzi, Theunis de Bruyn, Heinrich Klaasen, Farhaan Behardien, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Wandile Makwetu, Shaun von Berg, Junior Dala, Eldred Hawken, Corbin Bosch

SEMI-PRO
Jiveshan Pillay, Grant Roelofsen, Leus Du Plooy, Marques Ackerman, Muhammed Mayet, Daryn Dupavillon, Michael Cohen, Nandre Burger , Junaid Dawood

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
SeamUp, our club has come up against three excellent South African cricketers this season (Jurie Snyman, Coenie Nel and Rushdi Jappie). I wonder if you've heard of them and know what level of cricket they play back in their home country?

SeamUp

International Coach
SeamUp, our club has come up against three excellent South African cricketers this season (Jurie Snyman, Coenie Nel and Rushdi Jappie). I wonder if you've heard of them and know what level of cricket they play back in their home country?
No problem mate.

Never heard of Coenie Nel. Imagine he hasn't played provincial much if at all.

Ruschidi Jappie must be quite old. Played for the Titans as an opener every now and then about 7-10 years ago. But he was definitely to fill quota of 4 players at that stage, I think he has been playing for Easterns in recent seasons.

Jurie Snyman was a teenage prodigy but ignored by SA u19 selectors. Think he has been playing cricket in Scotland and for Easterns provincially over the last few years.

SeamUp

International Coach
First-time A players selected

Mthi Nabe (Cobras)
Anrich Nortje (Warriors)
Sarel Erwee (Dolphins)
Robbie Frylinck (Dolphins)
Rassie van der Dussen (Lions)

Still very new

Pieter Malan (Cobras)
Zubayr Hamza (Cobras)
Senuran Muthusamy (Dolphins)

Re-call after a while

Gihahan Cloete (Warriors)
Sisanda Magala (Warriors)

Experienced at A level

Dane Piedt (Cobras)
Dane Paterson (Cobras)
Khaya Zondo (Dolphins)
Rudi Second (Knights)
Duanne Olivier (Knights)
Temba Bavuma (Lions)
Dwaine Pretorius (Lions)
Beuran Hendricks (Lions)
Malusi Siboto (Lions)
Theunis de Bruyn (Titans)
Farhaan Behardien (Titans)
Shaun von Berg (Titans)
Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans)

Next group should cover all formats for the forseeable future.

BATSMEN

SA Academy 2018

Ryan Rickelton
Tony de Zorzi
Jiveshan Pillay
Matthew Breetzke
Raynard van Tonder
Sinethemba Qeshile

SA Academy 2017

Janneman Malan
Kyle Verreynne (wk)
*Muthusamy/Mulder

SA Academy 2016

Marques Ackerman
Dayyaan Galiem
Jason Smith
Rivaldo Moonsamy
Leus Du Plooy
Patrick Kruger

SA Academy 2015

Andries Gous (wk)
*Hamza , Klaasen , Markram

BOWLERS

SA Academy 2018

Kerwin Mungroo
Lutho Sipamla
Nandre Burger
Eathan Bosch
Junaid Dawood (spin)
* Nabe

SA Academy 2017

Migael Pretorius
Michael Cohen
Tladi Bokako
Okuhle Cele
Lwandiswa Zuma
*Ngidi

SA Academy 2016

Eldred Hawken
Bjorn Fortuin (spin)
*Phehlukwayo

SA Academy 2015

Corbin Bosch
George Linde (spin)
* Dala

SA Academy 2014 (was just a bowlers camp)

Lizaad Williams
Daryn Dupavillon
Calvin Savage
* Olivier , Nortje

Would imagine David Bedingham, Wandile Makwetu, Gerald Coetzee are players with enough talent to be selected for SA Academy next year or even fadt forwaded to SA A and Proteas.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
No problem mate.

Never heard of Coenie Nel. Imagine he hasn't played provincial much if at all.

Ruschidi Jappie must be quite old. Played for the Titans as an opener every now and then about 7-10 years ago. But he was definitely to fill quota of 4 players at that stage, I think he has been playing for Easterns in recent seasons.

Jurie Snyman was a teenage prodigy but ignored by SA u19 selectors. Think he has been playing cricket in Scotland and for Easterns provincially over the last few years.
CW Legend cheers. Snyman has been playing club cricket here in Scotland for the last 3 seasons - definitely one of the top professionals in the country (same with Jappie). He hits a very big ball and is intimidating to bowl at. A lot of South African pro's in Scotland

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
With Colin Ackermann still contracted to the Warriors and I believe his Kolpak is coming to an end ? Do you think he wants to or will have a shot at the Proteas?

SeamUp

International Coach
Just a little catch up.

SA U19s lost the test series in England but beat England in the ODI series.

17 year-old Jonathan Bird was man of the series in ODIs and will be one too watch. Has been on my radar. Looks genuine talent. A quicker than a run-a-ball 50 and then 142* off 123 to chase 250+ in the 2nd game.

South Africa Under-19s tour of England 2018 - Live Cricket Scores & Fixtures | ESPNCricinfo

SA Emerging tour to SRL started.

Sri Lanka won the first test. Fifties in first innings from Rickelton, de Zorzi and Breetzke but not much to shout about. Some other decent players like van Tonder, E.Bosch, Dawood, Burger, Sipamla.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...1st-unofficial-test-sa-eme-in-sri-lanka-2018/

Only found out they being streamed.

Rickelton got 51 (58) and after lunch Breetzke joins van Tonder at the crease.

Last edited: