• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

GRAB

First Class Debutant
41 for Qeshile. It's obviously very early in his career, but he doesn't seem to be out of place at franchise level, and the next step for him is to turn one of those fifties he's shown he can score into a century.
Remember when David White started off like this... Warriors learn quickly not to get our hopes up!

SeamUp

International Coach
Batsman of the week : Tristan Stubbs (Grey PE & Eastern Province)
Bowler of the week : Kgaudise Molefe (Jeppe & Gauteng)
All-rounder of the week : Marco Jansen (Potch Gym & North West)
Fielder of the week : Ximus du Plooy (Affies & Northerns)
Player of the week : Bryce Parsons (KES & Gauteng)

SeamUp

International Coach
SA SCHOOLS 2018

Jono BIRD (17) Bishops & Western Province
Cameron SHEKLETON (18) St Stithians & Gauteng
Bryce PARSONS (17) KES & Gauteng
Tristan STUBBS (18) Grey PE & Eastern Province
Thamsanqa KHUMALO (19) Glenwood & KZN Coastal
Caleb PILLAY (18) Westville & KZN Coastal
Nonelela YIKA (17) Hudson Park & Border
Kgaudise MOLEFE (18) Jeppe & Gauteng
Gerald COETZEE (18) St Andrews & Free State
Thando NTINI (18) Wynberg & Western Province
Achille CLOETE (17) Paarl Boys & Boland
Lifa NTANZI (17) Glenwood & KZN Coastal

SA COLTS

James RITCHIE (18) Hilton & KZN Inland
Bonga MAKHAKHA (19) Newlands Cricket School & Western Province
Dian FORRESTER (18) Affies & Northerns
Ruan CRONJE (17) St Andrews & Free State
Gareth SCHREUDER (18) Hilton & KZN Inland
Justin GILLILAND Newlands Cricket School & Western Province
Emmanuel MOTSWERI (18) Maragon & Gauteng
Akeem MINNAAR (17) Klein Nederburg & Boland
Marco JANSEN (18) Potch Gym & North West
Mondli KHUMALO (17) Maritzburg & KZN Inland
Siya PLAATJIE Wynberg & Western Province
Tumelo YEKI Queens High & Gauteng

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
50 up for Amla, which is encouraging. It doesn't meant that there aren't still some concerns over his form, but he is at least showing that he's not quite done yet.

SeamUp

International Coach
50 up for Amla, which is encouraging. It doesn't meant that there aren't still some concerns over his form, but he is at least showing that he's not quite done yet.
Like we said yesterday. There is hope he can eek out some runs in the longer format and we assess as we go (obviously we have concerns) but the concern is all formats including limited overs cricket and the last push for world cup honours. As I'm typing out for 62 but 187 minutes is also nice. Janneman Malan still going on 135* and Hamza joins him.

Not great for Lucky but he should have 4 more games in the 4-day comp this year. Don't think it should be a quick fix for him too.

AL Phehlukwayo
c Ramela b Alexander
44.1 very wide of the crease and Phehlukwayo literally puts his bat there and gives Ramela the simplest of catches 141/6
Also that Lions batting line-up has holes in it.

I think Rickelton, Richards, Mulder should be in there pretty quickly. Pity about Mulder's situation. Eathan Bosch 3 overs 3 maidens 2 wickets for 0 runs

Dwaine Pretorius with his first 10-for in his career but we known for a while the Dolphins have holes in their batting line-up.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Malan brothers continuing to score runs; happy Amla got some time in the middle, better than Markram and Elgar have done.... what is up with Lions batting. Truly atrocious recently.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Whats up with van Tonder? I really like him, is he not getting opportunity or not putting the numbers up?

SeamUp

International Coach
Malan brothers continuing to score runs; happy Amla got some time in the middle, better than Markram and Elgar have done.... what is up with Lions batting. Truly atrocious recently.
Different stages of their careers and Elgar has a recent FC 100 and runs in MSL. But more the type to want the fight for the bigger stage.

Markram I do have concerns with but it seems less so with Stuart Hess. I don't think he is mentally in the right space and I can see it in his body language. For me he is such a keen bean and determined person that if he was right and ready for the test he would be scoring runs in Bloem. Maybe my eye is seeing things and there is nothing to worry about but just a feel I got but hope he can get some scratchy runs come the test.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Is there a reason for that? Possibly an experience thing?
Basically. Maybe we put too much expectation and pressure on Breetzke and van Tonder ? I still think they have big futures though. Just turned 20 but I want them to have a good 2-4 years in franchise cricket before they picked for SA.

But you look around their contemporaries
Prithvi Shaw has a test hundred and Shubman Gill is scoring A runs for India.
Rachin Ravindra thrown into NZL A team without a domestic game for Wellington & did ok but Finn Allen been in and out the Auckland team.
Jason Sangha and Jack Edwards scored their first 100s for NSW but also not much else to speak of. But they will play in Big Bash.
Tom Banton, Will Jacks, Harry Brook got their chances for Somerset, Surrey & Yorkshire but also very patchy.

Along with Breetzke, van Tonder and Makwetu they were the best batsman of the u19 CWC for me so I will continue to monitor it. Even Makwetu is surprisingly not even getting into the Northerns team.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Different stages of their careers and Elgar has a recent FC 100 and runs in MSL. But more the type to want the fight for the bigger stage.

Markram I do have concerns with but it seems less so with Stuart Hess. I don't think he is mentally in the right space and I can see it in his body language. For me he is such a keen bean and determined person that if he was right and ready for the test he would be scoring runs in Bloem. Maybe my eye is seeing things and there is nothing to worry about but just a feel I got but he hope he can get some scratchy runs come the test.
Was not meant to be a criticism of Elgar or Markram... Markram puts so much pressure on himself I think, I wonder if he needs to learn to have a bit of fun when playing. If he is not playing well think he may take it almost 'personally'.

Basically. Maybe we put too much expectation and pressure on Breetzke and van Tonder ? I still think they have big futures though. Just turned 20 but I want them to have a good 2-4 years in franchise cricket before they picked for SA.

But you look around their contemporaries
Prithvi Shaw has a test hundred and Shubman Gill is scoring A runs for India.
Rachin Ravindra thrown into NZL A team without a domestic game for Wellington & did ok but Finn Allen been in and out the Auckland team.
Jason Sangha and Jack Edwards scored their first 100s for NSW but also not much else to speak of. But they will play in Big Bash.
Tom Banton, Will Jacks, Harry Brook got their chances for Somerset, Surrey & Yorkshire but also very patchy.

Along with Breetzke, van Tonder and Makwetu they were the best batsman of the u19 CWC for me so I will continue to monitor it. Even Makwetu is surprisingly not even getting into the Northerns team.
It is a bit of a tough one for me, I think the SA way (with batsmen in particular) is for them to have a bit of maturity before playing tests. Not a bad thing. But I wonder if we backed players ability a bit more, we would give them a bit more confidence in that ability and they would perform better? It probably depends on the personality. With restricted spots at FC level I do think that the conservative nature of SA coaches and administrators tends to go for experience.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
They're turning into quite a handy combination - there seems to be a tendency for at least one of them to make runs.
P.Malan and Vandiar are trying to prove no matter how many knocks they have taken in their career you still can come out on top :laugh:

SeamUp

International Coach
It is a bit of a tough one for me, I think the SA way (with batsmen in particular) is for them to have a bit of maturity before playing tests. Not a bad thing. But I wonder if we backed players ability a bit more, we would give them a bit more confidence in that ability and they would perform better? It probably depends on the personality. With restricted spots at FC level I do think that the conservative nature of SA coaches and administrators tends to go for experience.
I remember Graeme Smith was thrown into the SA A team not long out of school with only a handful of games. Same with Rudolph and AB. To a certain extent JP/Amla too. There does seem a system that CSA wants players to follow now and there isn't much of that gut feel selections anymore. Pity in my book.

It is extremely tough with the make up of our system I guess. In the past you could still reward the middle of the roaders who have performed to get there and throw in the young talents who may need time to adjust and learn and go through initial hardships but come out on top as potential SA stars.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Remember when David White started off like this... Warriors learn quickly not to get our hopes up!
What an odd career. Same age and growing up same team as Colin Ackermann. Scored a double hundred against the Warriors for EP and then in the Warriors team scoring hundreds when Ackermann was still in the EP team only. Picked for SA A team and got injured and from that moment he never got going again. Now retired at 27/28

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
That's a good win for the Dolphins.

They might have got the correct type of attack together but will lose Maharaj now. I think they are well and truly backing Eathan Bosch (over Savage/Frylinck) & Mungroo over Cele is a move that needed working out but is just about right for me . Also Keith Dudgeon has been picked who does seem to pick up wickets even if he goes for runs. In a way lots of heart and keeps running in like Olivier. That isn't a good sign for Dupavillon whose come back looks tougher and tougher.

Hamza 51 not out too :cool:

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Stu Hess quite scathing of that Lions performance and especially the batting. Says there needs to be changes with Rickelton/Richards waiting in the wings. Think Rickelton was 12th man for this game.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket...isplay-as-dolphins-conquer-wanderers-18588019

Also Knights needs 189 runs with 7 wickets left v Titans which is probably just about do-able.

Andries Gous is in the runs and he actually has pedigree so maybe it isn't him who will lose his spot down the line for when they back van Tonder with an extended run. I do think Gous is better suited to limited overs cricket though.

Last edited: