• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Just to confirm Muthusamy going to Ramsbottom

Senuran Muthusamy boarded a flight bound for the UK last night, and he left Durban still beaming from what had occurred the night before at the Dolphins end of season awards.

Muthusamy swept the board, winning the coveted Player of the Year, as well as the Players’ Player of the Year on a memorable night for the budding all-rounder.

“I was pleasantly surprised to win so many awards,” Muthusamy admitted. I guess I had a successful season. I have moved my career forward this season.”

But, the end-of-season awards was a chance for Muthusamy himself to shine. While other players came to the function with their partners, the left-hander came with his mum, who wore the biggest smile of the night.

“It was pretty special. It has been a big season for me, going from the Momentum Cup, and then obviously making my SA A debut against a strong Australian side, that was really fantastic.”

There is no rest for the wicked, either, as Muthusamy has a busy winter ahead of him. Last night, he left to go to Manchester where he will play in the highly-competitive Lancashire League for Ramsbottom.
Prince has also called on Cobras player not to neglect red-ball skills this winter.

Prince calls on Cobras players to not neglect red-ball skills

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Everytime I see an SA player head off to County cricket rather than IPL I`m a happy man.....

...sometimes I wish there was a way to make a deal with the ECB board on allowing SA players to play in County considering that our seasons are different. Can see how well it works with players like Harmer and/or Ackerman etc. May help us stop losing them altogether but also help solve some of the financial issues for the players. Obviously the English players may not be so happy, but may help strengthen both FC cricket systems. Never happen though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Everytime I see an SA player head off to County cricket rather than IPL I`m a happy man.....

...sometimes I wish there was a way to make a deal with the ECB board on allowing SA players to play in County considering that our seasons are different. Can see how well it works with players like Harmer and/or Ackerman etc. May help us stop losing them altogether but also help solve some of the financial issues for the players. Obviously the English players may not be so happy, but may help strengthen both FC cricket systems. Never happen though.
Would be great but I guess we have a decent enough movement between countries for our young players and it is almost part of their development. I think CSA for instance got in there with Breetzke who was scoring runs for Lancashire 2nds already.

Just on a side not. Once this is all sorted with SACA and CSA and franchise contracted squads are announced - CSA will also announce a CSA Top-Up contract list and a CSA High Performance Squad (mainly for black Africans) and supposedly Wandile Makwetu has already got a CSA Top-up. Not even sure where is for a Titans debut to be honest.

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA-player saga still all up in the air

Cape Cobras CEO Nabeal Dien will not allow his players to be “out of pocket” despite the threat that South Africa’s 230 professional and semi-professional cricketers could be unemployed by the end of the month.
Cricket SA (CSA) and the SA Cricketers’ Association (Saca) are yet to finalise the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), which includes the contracting of national and franchise players and specifically the image rights of players for marketing material.

Although CSA have indicated in a statement this week their "willingness to extend the existing contracts for a further period with the intention of having the new agreement in place by July this year in the event of negotiations concerning the new MOU not being completed by April 30”, Saca responded through their CEO Tony Irish that “we do not understand why such a long further delay may be necessary”.

Irish commented further that the urgency for reaching a consensus was because there needs to be “a greater degree of certainty and security for players going forward. Our players deserve that”.

The current situation is certainly not conducive for a healthy player working environment, especially after the Global T20 League was also postponed last year.

Although CSA were compelled to compensate the players close to R65-million due to existing GLT20 contracts, Saca still believe the uncertainty “comes at a time when South African cricket needs to do whatever it can to retain its players in the face of competing opportunities afforded to players in the emerging T20 leagues market and also in the UK”.

With this in mind, Dien, who was on the MOU task force set by up CSA, has worked on an “interim agreement” with the Cobras players.

“The MOU has not been finalised as yet, but we are going ahead with an interim agreement with our players.

“At this point, we have offered players a contract and close to six or seven have already signed,” Dien told Independent Media.

“Along with Ashwell (Prince, Cape Cobras coach), we are working through a process of getting the rest of the team to sign. Primarily we have the same squad as last year, with just a couple of new additions. We are working on something to get them signed up too.”

South Africa’s six franchise teams traditionally receive a “player pool” grant from CSA to contract their squads. Although this money has not yet been received, Dien is confident a consensus surrounding the MOU will be reached soon.

“We are working on a six per cent increase and offering contracts based upon that. We have informed Saca of our workings and they have indicated that we can go ahead,” he explained.

“If there are slight adjustments to be made once everything is sorted, we will do so, but we cannot allow our players to be out of pocket.”

Player Associations and cricket governing bodies across the world have been at loggerheads recently, with the most high-profile dispute happening in Australia last year.

The Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) and Cricket Australia (CA) were in negotiations for 10 months over their new MOU, with neither party having budged by the time the deadline arose for the new agreement to be in place.

The situation had dire consequences when the Australia A team, which included internationals like Usman Khawaja, Travis Head and Glenn Maxwell, withdrew from their tour to South Africa last July.

Although there were reports that Australia’s federal sports minister Greg Hunt was prepared to intervene should the two parties not move beyond their standoff, an agreement was finally reached when CA relented and kept in place the existing revenue-sharing MOU model.

Obviously a massive concern above and well summed up.

But from contract perspective for next season Dien says it is basically the same squad with a couple of additions for Cobras. The most obvious being Dawood and Cohen I imagine. But really hope Bedingham is in the mix too especially with the batting depth in the Cape tested a bit.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Global League Franchises want to take CSA to court.
I think that debacle has gotten them into serious trouble financially and that is why they are delaying everything.... I don't think this is a case of trying to pull a fast one on the players, but they may not know what they can afford?

SeamUp

International Coach
I think that debacle has gotten them into serious trouble financially and that is why they are delaying everything.... I don't think this is a case of trying to pull a fast one on the players, but they may not know what they can afford?
Massive financial problems. Don't forget they've been a scandalous organisation at board room level in the not too distant past. Recently they've been picking their heads above water until Lorgat did what he did.

At the end of the day there is a week left. CSA has come out with a 2nd incorrect public statement in a short space of time wrt SACA. Transparency and urgency is required.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bavuma returns to Lions

The decision by Temba Bavuma to return to the bizhub Highveld Lions after a season in Cape Town, enjoys the backing and unequivocal support of the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras, said Nabeal Dien, chief executive officer of the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras.

The South African middle-order batsman, who produced a gem of an innings in compiling 95 in his previous test, against Australia, left the Lions for the Cobras in 2017/2018. He has decided after one season to return to the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium.

“We obviously lament the fact that a player who is a match-winner in all formats, will not be at our disposal next season, but we wish him well for the 2018/2019 season. His silky batting skills and acrobatic fielding will be missed at PPC Newlands,” said Dien.

“It is understandable and practically makes enormous sense for Temba to return to Gauteng. Temba’s family is based there. We respect and back the decision,” added the CEO.

“We welcome Temba back with open arms. He is a player with special skills, experience and a star of his calibre is hard to find. We did not have the best of seasons, so it is a step in the right direction to have him back in our system,” said Greg Fredericks, chief executive officer of the bizhub Highveld Lions.

Bavuma produced one of the greatest highlights of recent memory in test cricket with an undefeated 102 against England in January 2016. And he returned to those lofty heights with his unbeaten 95 in the fourth test against Australia as South Africa recorded a resounding win.

The diminutive middle-order batsman struck 195 runs for the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras in the RAM SLAM T20 Challenge in 2017/2018, but was seldom available in the Sunfoil Series due to international commitments.

“I made the decision to ply my trade for the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras to fulfil a childhood dream of donning the blue colours, but there have been developments in my personal life that have led me to reconsider that decision. I recently got engaged and feel that with my fiancé in JHB, it’s the favourable thing to do. I’ve enjoyed my stint with the Cobras and wish them all the best in their future endeavours.”

SeamUp

International Coach
Colin Ackermann's 186 for Leicestershire

Already wickets for Olivier, Viljoen, de Lange, Harmer, Abbott

SeamUp

International Coach
Hmmmmm not sure how I feel about this.

Also depends how much Levi and van Zyl are used.

The Cobras have not made any major signings for next season, with only North West batsman Janneman Malan, brother of opening batsman and current Player of the Year Pieter Malan, set to join his sibling at Newlands next season.

SeamUp

International Coach
Tuks are cleaning up at Club Champs even with LT captain Thomas Kaber finished now & others moving up full time to senior cricket.

Jiveshan Pillay (Maritzburg/KZN Inland)
Tony de Zorzi (KES/Gauteng)
Neil Brand (England)
Rubin Hermann (Waterkloof)
Donovan Ferreira (Pretoria Boys)
Mitchell van Buuren (KES/Gauteng)
Wandile Makwetu (St Stithians/Gauteng)
Ruan de Swardt (Affies)
Migael Pretorius (Waterkloof)
Gideon Peters (Waterkloof)
Ruben Trumpelmann (Affies)

Curtis Campher (St Stithians/Gauteng)

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans CEO Jacques Faul confirms Theunis de Bruyn is returning home to the Titans.

They losing Malusi Siboto to the Lions and they in negotiations with Tshepo Moreki of the Cobras to be his replacement.

brockley

International Captain
Whats the story with Bretzke? England or South Africa? Brand S AFrican been playing Glamorgan 2nds for years,is he qualified for England yet?

SeamUp

International Coach
Whats the story with Bretzke? England or South Africa? Brand S AFrican been playing Glamorgan 2nds for years,is he qualified for England yet?
Breetzke with a Warriors contract I imagine.

Brand joined Uni of Pretoria (Tuks) after leaving SA as a teeanger. Supposedly Kruger van Wyk had a few chats.

SeamUp

International Coach
Contract news dripping out.

Lions considering seven for head coach role

The Highveld Lions hope to reveal the identity their next head coach by the end of the week following interviews that took place on Wednesday.

The Lions received seven applications for the position, which became vacant at the end of last season when Geoffrey Toyana was moved into the role as high performance coach by the Gauteng Cricket Board (GCB)

David Terbrugge, who played seven Tests for the Proteas, and spent his entire playing career with Gauteng, led the interviews of the three candidates who were shortlisted for the position.

Terbrugge, who also serves on the board at Gauteng Cricket, will in conjunction with the interview panel, submit the successful candidate’s name to a full sitting of the board. The GCB’s chief executive Greg Fredericks said he hoped the new coach could be revealed by Friday.

“I was quite surprised by some of the applications we received and overall I’m very happy with the quality of the candidates who forwarded their names,” said Fredericks, who added, that all the applicants were South African.

Among the favourites to take over from Toyana, are Enoch Nkwe - a former coach of the Gauteng Strikers semi-professional team - who has been coaching club cricket in the Netherlands for the last three years and Lawrence Mahatlane, the SA Under-19 coach, who was also an assistant coach at the Lions before Toyana took over in 2013.

The search for a new coach has not had an adverse effect on the signing of players, according to Fredericks. Malusi Siboto and young seamer Migael Pretorius will be available for the Lions next summer, while Ryan Rickleton, a big hitting top order batsman, has put pen to paper on a deal as well.

All-rounder Wiaan Mulder, who’d been the subject of much speculation regarding his future, will stay at the franchise. The 20-year-old, who still has a year left on his contract, was eyeing a move to the Titans and there was also interest in his services from the Knights, but Fredericks is hoping to tie him down to a two year deal soon.

Meanwhile, Toyana, after a short break, got to work immediately in his new role on Wednesday, by emailing all the club coaches in the province, asking for their input on how to improve various structures throughout the province.

Toyana’s new job, according to the GCB, includes talent identification, retention and managing the elite development levels for both North West and Gauteng Cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
SELECTED AWARDS NOMINATIONS
AFRICA T20 CUP RISING STAR AWARD
Sarel Erwee (KZN Inland)
Andries Gous (Free State)
Nduduzo Mfosa (KZN Inland)

DOMESTIC NEWCOMER OF THE SEASON
Alfred Mothoa (Multiply Titans)
Mthiwekhaya Nabe (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras)
Kyle Verreynne (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras)

MOMENTUM ONE-DAY CUP CRICKETER OF THE SEASON
Gihahn Cloete (Warriors)
Pieter Malan (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras)
Tabraiz Shamsi (Multiply Titans)

RAM SLAM T20 CHALLENGE CRICKETER OF THE SEASON
Farhaan Behardien (Multiply Titans)
Lungi Ngidi (Multiply Titans)
Tabraiz Shamsi (Multiply Titans)

SUNFOIL SERIES CRICKETER OF THE SEASON
Zubayr Hamza (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras)
Simon Harmer (Warriors)
Rudi Second (VKB Knights)

INTERNATIONAL NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
Heinrich Klaasen
Aiden Markram
Lungi Ngidi

STANDARD BANK T20 INTERNATIONAL CRICKETER OF THE YEAR
Farhaan Behardien
Junior Dala
AB de Villiers

STANDARD BANK ODI CRICKETER OF THE YEAR
Hashim Amla