• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Savage definitely has something, just from looking at these clips. Unique action and looks nippy
Hopefully this is the season he goes to the next level and has a peak season because the talent is there. You will be impressed when you see him bat as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's going to be a long season for the Knights. 42/3 Paterson removed Mokoena, Mnyanda, Petersen - was overcast this morning in Cape Town so Piedt sent them in

Warriors are 36/0 v Lions in PE - solid start and I expect them to be in the mix this season.
Cracking innings by new captain Pite van Biljon. I think he will tell you he got messed around last season and his dream of playing cricket in SA was near done so fair play to him.

Gihahn Cloete also warming-up for T20 series with runs.

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors v Lions

Warriors have a good chance of stamping their mark on the game today. Can get somewhere near 350 and I think that is a good first innings score. Especially that I think there is more ability in their seam attack. There is a chance of rain in the afternoon in PE.

For individual players. 18 year-old , Sinethemba Qeshile , is impressing again for one so young. Warriors have a bright future in Breetzke, Qeshile, Sipamla, Nortje. They the heart-beat of Eastern Cape cricket moving forward I feel. With all their Kolpakers potentially having limited contribution and the fact they've always had to scrap and play above themselves but with those 4 there is genuine SA potential.

For the Lions their line-up : Cook, Ramela, D.Hendricks, Bavuma, vd Dussen, D.Pretorius, vd Bergh, M.Pretorius, Siboto, Phangiso, B.Hendricks
I don't think that is very strong. Phangiso had to pick up 4 wickets on day 1 and the batting line-up is ok - They will be stronger when R.Hendricks/Mulder fall down from Proteas + Rickelton is fit & I think there is more potential in Nandre Burger than some of their bowlers but will need to prove it some more.

Cobras v Knights

Some squalls of rain around this morning but they finished now. I think the Knights recovered to a decent score from where they were. Was surprised with the Knights selection - going with another bowler in Dry over Gous/van Tonder which leaves their top-order very vulnerable but it works and I think Shadley van Schalkwyk is injured and when he returns for Baartman he will only strengthen that lower-order for the Knights. Interesting days cricket ahead. Olivier, Dry, McLaren v The Malan's, Hamza, Bedingham, Verreynne

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
It's amazing how Stephen Cook's technique can survive in SA but his recent chances in British Isles doesn't work. He was in putrid form for Glamorgan.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure if you guys have seen the reporting of a SA cricket mag journo who criticised the Titans going for a draw when he was supposedly not there and had no idea of the pitch. Putting other domestic leagues on a pedestal.

Well Paul Harris , Chris Morris, Henry Davids and even Dale Steyn have got stuck in. I know they have had previouses with Dale Steyn for their reporting.

https://twitter.com/Carl_LewisZA/status/1046662367503941632?s=19

https://twitter.com/Carl_LewisZA/status/1047073274411270145?s=19

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Pieter Malan has to do loads for me to stop being so harsh on him :D but he hast started the season with a much needed 100 in overcast conditions.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pieter Malan has to do loads for me to stop being so harsh on him :D but he hast started the season with a much needed 100 in overcast conditions.
Scoring so many runs.... Obviously got some experience but would love to know what changed with him, had potential and then just disappeared.

SeamUp

International Coach
Scoring so many runs.... Obviously got some experience but would love to know what changed with him, had potential and then just disappeared.
A lot of people did believe in him I guess and through hard work has dealt with failures.

I just have this belief that the next level he goes he struggles. SA A tour just past for example. I guess after losing a franchise contract twice and earning a 3rd one and performing for the Cobras like he is does deserve credit. Many of his contemporaries have had frustrating careers where they didn't really kick on to be SA stars ie Rossouw, Parnell, Smuts, Vandiar, Vallie, R.Hendricks, Pienaar (Miller)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors batting line-up just needed to apply themselves until Breetzke/Ackermann got back but unfortunately the predictably unpredictable players like Cloete, Moore, Smuts couldn't. Ngoepe obvz not good enough too.

Breetzke & Qeshile deserve time and hopefully their 2 best 4-day batsmen Ackermann & Vallie can help them.

Special mention to Stephen Cook for his 188.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
:D I still reckon this can be a big season for you guys but yes there are some of the above. But on the plus side you have some top talent that you have kept for a change.

For my boys I think Prince has brought a lot of positives. The batting is young. Hamza/Verreynne/P.Malan had a breakthrough season & no body scored more provincial 100s last season than J.Malan and Bedingham (5 each) so whilst the batting is young they have talent. I always doubted whether we would get 20 wickets easily though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Never really heard of him (Qeshile) really before this.... long may it continue. And we need him today to stave off a defeat.

SeamUp

International Coach
Super excited to see him play as out of the 10 young batsmen I have on my radar he is the only one I haven't seen yet.

SeamUp

International Coach
Big knock pending for Zubayr Hamza's credentials.

Obviously Bedingham's debut so can't be too harsh but 2 pretty stroke-filled 20s don't win your teams games and that was an issue for him as a youngster and it seems like he had got over that so lets see in the coming games.