• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Start of the official franchise season today.

TITANS

Match preview: Titans vs Dolphins

Besides internationals, no Wandile Makwetu & Corbin Bosch missing. Latter definitely injured.

Agathangelou
de Zorzi
de Bruyn
Davids
Behardien (c)
Moonsamy (wk)
Morris
von Berg
Hawken
Dala
Moreki (debut)

DOLPHINS

Besides internationals, no Erwee, Dupavillon + van Wyk (assume just limited overs cricket) & also Vilas (definite pushing out of Kolpaks and he is officially the most played cricketer in the world according to cricinfo)

https://dolphinscricket.co.za/exciting-season-opening-pretoria-trip-for-dolphins/

Roelofsen/Oakes/Ackerman
van Jaarsveld
Chetty
Muthusamy
Ackerman/Roelofsen (wk)/Oakes(wk)
Makhanya
Savage/E.Bosch
Frylinck
Maharaj (c)
Cele
Zuma/Mungroo

* Possible debuts for Ackerman/Roelofsen/Zuma

SeamUp

International Coach
Cobras and Parnell part ways : Cape Cobras, Parnell part ways

Corrie van Zyl and Nabeel Dien speak about pride of producing players for SA is the reason they have to cut Kolpaks out.
Just more on this. That is van Zyl, Levi, Parnell (Cobras), Ingram (Warriors), Abbott (Dolphins), Rossouw, de Lange (Knights), Viljoen (Lions), Wiese, M.Morkel (Titans) not contracted.

Ackermann , Harmer (Warriors) , Vilas (Dolphins), Kuhn (Titans) that are contracted.

Only Harmer for me has a chance still to play for SA. Scored a 100 live on Sky Sports yesterday and is currently #2 on MVP for the whole season and closing in on #1 with this performance. Ledge.

https://twitter.com/EssexCricket/status/1044676237522866177

Dendarii

International Debutant
Roelofsen/Oakes/Ackerman
van Jaarsveld
Chetty
Muthusamy
Ackerman/Roelofsen (wk)/Oakes(wk)
Makhanya
Savage/E.Bosch
Frylinck
Maharaj (c)
Cele
Zuma/Mungroo
That's interesting. How much captaincy experience does Maharaj have? I know Markram is the frontrunner to be the next national captain once Du Plessis goes, but an outside chance for Maharaj perhaps?

SeamUp

International Coach
That's interesting. How much captaincy experience does Maharaj have? I know Markram is the frontrunner to be the next national captain once Du Plessis goes, but an outside chance for Maharaj perhaps?
Captained a few games last season but that is the first I know of as at junior level Jono Vandiar was his captain.

I wouldn't write it off. I suppose they also considering de Kock. Think Elgar will just be a senior player..

Bavuma & de Bruyn aren't secure in their positions but Bavuma is new Lions captain and de Bruyn captained Knights to 4-day title. So not like options are lacking.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Only Harmer for me has a chance still to play for SA. Scored a 100 live on Sky Sports yesterday and is currently #2 on MVP for the whole season and closing in on #1 with this performance.
No chance for Ackermann to return?

SeamUp

International Coach
No chance for Ackermann to return?
There probably is but how strong is Warriors and CSAs stance to non SA eligible players. There seems a drive for SA eligible players to play and they already supporting players like Breetzke & Jonker.

My view is if CSA cared much for him they would have selected him for SA A and they didn't.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bankrupt Government run broadcaster SABC has the right to the T20 tournament. CSA won't get a cent as SABC don't have it so there seems hope this will give coverage for potential sponsors :laugh:

CSA STATEMENT on player draft

CSA INVITES PLAYERS TO REGISTER INTEREST IN THE NEW SA
T20 LEAGUE BY 2 OCTOBER 2018

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today opened its register to receive applications from South African and overseas players (which includes both foreign overseas and returning Kolpak players) interested in participating in the SA T20 League.

The inaugural edition of the League will run during the last quarter of 2018, with the teams assembling from 9 November and the tournament running through to the Grand Final on 16 December.

A foreign overseas player is defined as a player who holds only a non-South African passport and who is not eligible, under ICC regulations, to play for South Africa. He must either be a current or former international player who has played international cricket in the past 18 months or has a high profile with a proven track record in domestic T20 tournaments around the world.

A “Returning Kolpak” player is defined as a player who is eligible to play for South Africa under ICC eligibility rules but has declared his intention not to play for South Africa and is registered with Kolpak status in another country. For the sake of clarity, a returning Kolpak player is, for the purpose of the League, classified as an overseas player.

A South African player is one who is eligible and available to play for South Africa and is also currently contracted either at national, franchise or senior provincial level in South Africa.

Players should be available from 9 November 2018 until 17 December 2018.

Interested players will need to register by going to the CSA Website (www.cricket.co.za) and accessing the registration process via the relevant SA T20 League registration link. Foreign overseas players will also need to submit a copy of their passports or other similar identification as part of the player registration process.

Players’ applications will then be vetted and, after acceptance by the League, will be notified to complete and submit an Agreement to Enter the Draft (AED) on the same link, which will be a binding agreement to enter the Draft.

The following information is required to complete the AED process:

1) The periods for which the player is available
2) Notification of any existing playing obligations/contracts that impacts his availability period during the tournament period
3) Any Reserve Price the player may wish to set for the Draft (only applicable to overseas players); and
4) A high-resolution head and shoulders photograph in jpeg (20mm x 25mm)

5) In the case of a South African player, he will need to confirm whether he currently is a national, franchise or senior provincial contracted player in South Africa and provide a high-resolution head and shoulders photograph in jpeg (20mm x 25mm)

The closing date for players to register is 2 October 2018 and the Player Draft will take place on Wednesday, 17 October 2018.

The CSA Board has unanimously approved the following rules and regulations for the competition:

• There will be six competing teams and a total of 32 matches on a home and away basis;
• Each team will have 16 players;
• Each team will have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 4 overseas players. Overseas players are defined either as foreign overseas or Returning Kolpak players;
• The six venues will be decided by a bid process open to all ICC accredited CSA Members that will include an independent analysis by an appropriate consultancy firm. No venue will host more than one team; and
• Players will be centrally contracted by the League

“The time is now right for us to register players who would like to participate in our League,” commented CSA Chief Executive Thabang Moroe. “We will be seeking to secure the services of the foreign and South African marquee players who were recruited for the previous league on two-year contracts. In addition, subject to our international commitments, all the Standard Bank Proteas contracted players are expected to participate in most of the League.

“Any unavailability of Standard Bank Proteas players only affects the first few days of the league when the Proteas will be involved in their limited overs tour to Australia which finishes with the T20 match on November 17.

“I am also delighted to announce that that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has accepted our invitation to make some of their senior administrators, who have extensive experience in running the Indian Premier League (IPL), available to assist with the smooth running of our tournament.

“Their experience will be invaluable and will assist in ensuring that the League is one of international standing,” concluded Mr. Moroe.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bankrupt Government run broadcaster SABC has the right to the T20 tournament. CSA won't get a cent as SABC don't have it so there seems hope this will give coverage for potential sponsors :laugh:

CSA STATEMENT on player draft
Maybe the worst cooking oil in the world comes back.....

SeamUp

International Coach
So that means 12 x 6 which makes 72 South African players of which say 20 or CSA players leaving 50 domestic players the chance to express their talents. Going to be tough.

Back to the 4-day cricket. Dolphins 82/3 at Lunch
Roelofsen & Oakes getting 31 each
Von Berg, Mothoa & Morris with the wickets.

SeamUp

International Coach
stuart hess
‏@shockerhess
So @OfficialCSA would appreciate if you could just ignore the possibility that they could be sued by owners of the defunct T20GL. Just enjoy this new T20 tournament. Okay?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
stuart hess
‏@shockerhess
So @OfficialCSA would appreciate if you could just ignore the possibility that they could be sued by owners of the defunct T20GL. Just enjoy this new T20 tournament. Okay?
That is effectively it.... and to be honest purely as a supporter it is a good attitude.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I guess so but incompetence and corrumption grates at me. They've budgeted for a 40m loss. What did the defunct T20GL cost ?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving the CSA a pass on the T20GL fiasco.... but this needs to be treated separately as a fun tournament. Can still give CSA crap over the dismal failure that was the T20Gl and the ensuing law suits.

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving the CSA a pass on the T20GL fiasco.... but this needs to be treated separately as a fun tournament. Can still give CSA crap over the dismal failure that was the T20Gl and the ensuing law suits.
True. Let's see how it all unfolds. This T20 tournament though doesn't feel like other one's around the world and how the T20GL was meant to be. Not sure the players will be getting anywhere near what they were getting last year and opportunities are slimer. Do you think we needed this tournament if we weren't going to go the whole hog ? Might as well have just kept going with the current domestic T20 ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
True. Let's see how it all unfolds. This T20 tournament though doesn't feel like other one's around the world and how the T20GL was meant to be. Not sure the players will be getting anywhere near what they were getting last year and opportunities are slimer. Do you think we needed this tournament if we weren't going to go the whole hog ? Might as well have just kept going with the current domestic T20 ?
I'm looking at this as a slightly larger with a more potential domestic tournament. I said right from the beginning, we where jumping on the bandwagon to late with the GL, gravy train was empty. Nothing that happened consequently surprised me.