• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick the next Aussie coach

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I have no doubt, I would love having Gillespie, Ponting, hell poach Ravi Shastri for unlimited money as long as its not Langer. With Langer it'll just be same old same old but with his own species of personal venom.
Yes, please petition for this.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always considered Langer to be a good bloke from afar. Why are folks here suggesting he's not? Did I miss something?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I always considered Langer to be a good bloke from afar. Why are folks here suggesting he's not? Did I miss something?
If you want someone who exemplifies the idea that what we do is fine, but gets precious when someone else does it, then it's Langer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've heard mixed reports on Gillespie as an actual coach, but in terms of creating an environment that's better suited to where we want to take the game then he's probably the best candidate.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being better suited to the circuit of domestic coaching (helping blokes through the grind, etc.) rather than the intensity of an international coach.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
An outside call - Michael DiVenuto might be one they go knocking on the door of. Very well regarded in the Australian set-up when batting coach, don't think he had a huge amount of success at Surrey this year (??) but a name that might pop up outside of the expected few.

Spikey

yeah Wade took over when Phil Jaques had to move to NSW. I'm not sure if there was a proper process or if he was an assistant who took over at short notice though. (not that it matters)

isn't it interesting how every name mentioned in the past few pages played in the mid 90's to the mid 00's

Zinzan

I'd naturally assumed Ponting would get the next gig if he wanted it but now it's clear CA want a proper shift in culture, not sure that's Punter.

TheJediBrah

I'd naturally assumed Ponting would get the next gig if he wanted it but now it's clear CA want a proper shift in culture, not sure that's Ponting.
Nah he would be ideal. Have you heard him commentate much? He's pure class. Don't get mislead by some of his angry antics when he was a younger man.

Borges

International Regular
Don't get mislead by some of his angry antics when he was a younger man.
Yeah. I think Ponting became quite the elder statesman towards the evening of his career.

Australia needs a coach who would command a lot of respect, not just from the players, but also from the general cricket community as a whole.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Just have David as deportment coach. Let each player source their own suitable coach. Does this sport even need a team coach?

Top_Cat

Forget Gillespie, I reckon. Good guy and his rep as a coach is well reported but unless he's changed his outlook in the wake of what's happened, can't see it. He was a young Dad and is family first so international coach probably isn't a good fit.

Divva is a good call but it'll be Langer. Bloke seems to be bleeding for it.

Top_Cat

Incidentally, Lehmann finishes with a worse W/L% than Arthur
This is soso damning, tbh. The reason to bring in the Boof types was to win more. Just shows how backward the decision-making is when the mild-mannered types have actually done the business for Aussie cricket.