• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann resigns

Spark

Global Moderator
This is the 5th thread we've had on this general topic, now, right?

Anyway, right call, etc etc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
@collinsadam
Lehmann he made the decision after seeing Smith and Bancroft speak earlier. He’s been crying. #SAvAUS

Jesus

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bloody hell, watching Lehmann - who has been pushed as the "ultimate macho Aussie" - tear up might be a pivotal moment in how the Australian team is viewed by its own country.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cricket is meant to be played under the sun with smiles and cold beverages. This tour has been anything but unfortunately.

At the end of the day it is the right call. 5 years as an international coach is pushing it a bit.

Langer's feisty XI up next.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Australia implode, they seem to do a much more spectacular job of it than other sides.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
CA (and Lehmann) seem to have entertained the hope that Lehmann could continue and preside over Australia's rehabilitation from ''nastiness'' to something more sportsmanlike. That is rather like putting Hugh Hefner in charge of a nunnery.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
CA (and Lehmann) seem to have entertained the hope that Lehmann could continue and preside over Australia's rehabilitation from ''nastiness'' to something more sportsmanlike. That is rather like putting Hugh Hefner in charge of a nunnery.
Can you not speak ill of the dead please, what's wrong with you?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To a certain extent, I'm shocked. I figured if he didn't resign at the same time as the suspensions then it wouldn't happen until after they do their report on the team culture.

Spark

Global Moderator
To a certain extent, I'm shocked. I figured if he didn't resign at the same time as the suspensions then it wouldn't happen until after they do their report on the team culture.
Yeah this genuinely surprised me timing-wise

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Darren Lehmann steps down as Australia coach - ESPNcricinfo

I can't watch this live but if this is his statement....

"As many who sit in this room will know, life on the road means a lot of time away from loved ones and after speaking to my family, it is the right time to step away," an emotional Lehmann on the eve of the fourth Test against South Africa at the Wanderers. "I hope the team rebuilds and the Australian public can forgive the young men and get behind the XI."
"Speaking to the players and saying goodbye is the toughest thing I have had to do," Lehmann said. "It's been happening for a few days and you think you can keep going but the amount of abuse just takes it toll. They made a mistake. Speaking to my family, they've had enough of traveling 300 days. This was entirely my decision. I have been speaking to the hierarchy in the last couple of days."
He is taking no responsibility for his actions in this.

Maybe wrong but that what I've seen so far.