• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann resigns

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If Lehmann has gone because it happened under his watch rather than it being something he condoned or instigated , why is Sutherland not also falling on his sword?

His reluctance to use the "c" word would embarrass an 80 year old maiden aunt.
I posted this earlier:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...-aussie-leadership-group-129.html#post4010787

With the investigation ongoing and "cheat" being related to the charges that could have come about, he couldn't use the term to prejudice the investigation. There's already talk from the ACA that too much board involvement could see an appeal - they weren't supposed to be involved at all - so I'm sure it would have been related to legal advice.

Once the punishments were handed down, he did refer to it as cheating in the next press conference.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No he didn't! Look, I thought he was into this balls deep. Then I saw an interview with Jimmy Maher who said he wouldnt ever be a part of this. Maher's a mate but it seems he's right. He understands Lehmann's character better than anyone here and all I can say is that the investigations vouched for his faith. If Lehmann is as maher says, someone who would never countenance cheating then it can't be said he "created an atmosphere" where it occurred.
You seem to have a very strange definition of leadership.

If he truly is someone who would never countenance cheating:
1. He failed in proper leadership of his team...which is the irst thing that means he has to go.
2. Upon finding out that he failed he should have tried to address his and his team's failures, rather than arguably trying to cover it up (as the evidence strongly suggests).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Completely agree.

You see the bare faced hypocrisy of a prick like KP, who sooked most his career about innuendo and assumptions about his influence in the team, yet sends out a tweet laughing at a suggestion Lehmann didn't know. Which is borderline slander. He, and anyone else outside that group has no ****ing idea and shouldn't claim to.
The camera evidence suggests he at least tried to cover it up, but yeah...KP is a wanker

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The camera evidence suggests he at least tried to cover it up, but yeah...KP is a wanker
Apparently it was more of a "what the **** is going on" as opposed to "tell bancroft to ditch the evidence". Plausible imo.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Apparently it was more of a "what the **** is going on" as opposed to "tell bancroft to ditch the evidence". Plausible imo.
Exactly. He's said that, and said that he dragged the team into a meeting at tea to ask what was going on. If that's not the case, it'll get out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly. He's said that, and said that he dragged the team into a meeting at tea to ask what was going on. If that's not the case, it'll get out.
Sure. KP is a wanker, we can leave it at that.

I don't think Lehmann is a terrible guy or anything like that. He's probably a victim of believing the crap about the magical line and everything more than taking a critical, reflective look at the team's behaviour (and where it's going). But it's his job to be critical and reflective and self-appraise. It's certainly Sutherland's job too...

I do think his responses were quite cowardly.

Redbacks

International Captain
I suppose it's a tricky situation. If he takes more responsibility then he should fall on his sword. He's walking fine line to save his own neck no doubt.

howardj

International Coach
Bet he was pushed out (or a strong recommendation was made that he finish up) and paid out the final 18 months of his contract

Salvages his reputation, gets his money, and the team is able to reset its moral compass

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has Warner come out and spoken yet? Last I saw he issued that statement saying he’d speak in a couple of days.

I feel like he’ll come out swinging. If I’m going down I’m taking everyone with me...

So if what you say was the case and going to get out maybe that would be when

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
I would like to imagine the walkie-talkie exchange was something along the lines of

DL - Peter, I just looked at my Crypto porfolio and everything is red. Is that bad?

PH - Haha boss man. Chill. It's just a market correction. Moon, Lambo in April mate.

DL - FFS I KNEW I shouldn't have invested in this ****. **** you kids and your new internet money. Can you please go ask Camo how I get this back into real money?

PH - Haha ok bossman.

PH - Yo yo sup Camo. Bossman is tripping cuz he bought the dip and the market's crashed.

CB - Did you tell him moon, lambo in April brah?

PH- Yea brah.

CB - Well he shouldn't sell at a loss. Rule number one. Get me his Hardware wallet, I'll hide it so he can't get online.

A bit of blockchain humor. Very real for some on here I'd imagine.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Has Warner come out and spoken yet? Last I saw he issued that statement saying he’d speak in a couple of days.

I feel like he’ll come out swinging. If I’m going down I’m taking everyone with me...

So if what you say was the case and going to get out maybe that would be when
No, he's speaking tomorrow at 11am Sydney time.

And if Lehmann's not speaking the truth, then it'll come out then.

The other possibility is that he'll say that Lehmann/Smith/others knew that illegal means had been going on in the past, in which case he'll further incriminate himself and others.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, he's speaking tomorrow at 11am Sydney time.

And if Lehmann's not speaking the truth, then it'll come out then.

The other possibility is that he'll say that Lehmann/Smith/others knew that illegal means had been going on in the past, in which case he'll further incriminate himself and others.
What do you expect?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon he’ll just say he stuffed up and he’s sorry, without really showing he means it like the others have.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If I were a betting man, I feel like this will get a kick along after Warner's speech. Is Warner another one who goes to Alan Jones for advice?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I reckon he’ll just say he stuffed up and he’s sorry, without really showing he means it like the others have.
Yeah it's going to be underwhelming. He'll say something prepared by a PR person most likely, and it'll be a bit of an anti-climax