• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann resigns

the big bambino

International Captain
Anyway that is the situation as it is now. If something turns up that shows he was involved then I would agree with the sentiment and say good riddance. At the time I thought he was the master mind and then weak in going on the lam. Atm it seems Jimmy Maher called it right and what I thought about his involvement at the time was wrong, and so are you.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not sure Langer would be much of an improvement. Jason Gillespie on the other hand, would be exactly what we need. Wouldn't mind Ponting staying on for some sort of role either.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If they're serious about being more like the Black Caps in terms of cricketing culture, why not take Mike Hesson off our hands? Please, we don't want him anymore.

Daemon

We can accept that, sure. But down one road you have a coach who condones cheating. And down the road we've taken we have a coach who couldn't get his team in order and who as some might say lost control of it.
I mean I'm not convinced he did know, but even if he didn't he's still culpable in fostering a culture that would encourage something like this. And his actual record isn't that flash either. He had to go, pretty much.
You put this in context of a manager or CEO of a business... and regardless of if you were aware or not of what is going on, 90% of the time you get sacked if your employers coloured out of the lines. And most of the time the reason for this is because they thought they could get away with because that was the culture of the business. Sometimes that is and can be unfair, but leadership often dictates practise.

And it is not even like Lehmann was far removed, he shared a change room with his players.... obviously for whatever reason, condoned or not condoned, they thought they could and should try it. That is a bad environment to be in.
That he had to go is no question imo. I agree with that and the culture stuff completely.

What I'm against is how some people aren't even entertaining the thought that he didn't know it occurred. They're saying he's some sort of utter **** who's lying and denying that he was even part of it while throwing his players under the bus. I don't like how that's just being assumed as a given is all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Lehmann has gone because it happened under his watch rather than it being something he condoned or instigated , why is Sutherland not also falling on his sword?

His reluctance to use the "c" word would embarrass an 80 year old maiden aunt.

Daemon

He presumably still claims he had no knowledge of the actual incident. Nothing on the broader cultural questions though...
btw he did say this on culture

I'm ultimately responsible for the culture of the team and I've been thinking about my position for a while

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That he had to go is no question imo. I agree with that and the culture stuff completely.

What I'm against is how some people aren't even entertaining the thought that he didn't know it occurred. They're saying he's some sort of utter **** who's lying and denying that he was even part of it while throwing his players under the bus. I don't like how that's just being assumed as a given is all.
This is why I keep on saying, this is no longer about a ball tampering incident... this has got a whole lot bigger, how big is it and who is to blame that is difficult to say. But if you are going to subject 3 players to this sort of scrutiny and blame for a whole cultural ethos of brining Australian cricket into disrepute, then the coach and other management is just as much at fault for letting get this far.

If Lehmann has gone because it happened under his watch rather than it being something he condoned or instigated , why is Sutherland not also falling on his sword?

His reluctance to use the "c" word would embarrass an 80 year old maiden aunt.
Sutherland should definitely go here as well....

Last edited:

Daemon

This is why I keep on saying, this is no longer about a ball tampering incident... this has got a whole lot bigger, how big is it and who is to blame that is difficult to say. But if you are going to subject 3 players to this sort of scrutiny and blame for a whole cultural ethos of brining Australian cricket into disrepute, then the coach and other management is just as much at fault for letting get this far.
I did not disagree with any of that

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
He needed to leave for the culture to change but Langer isn't going to operate that differently I don't think.

Flem274*

123/5
If they're serious about being more like the Black Caps in terms of cricketing culture, why not take Mike Hesson off our hands? Please, we don't want him anymore.
there is no way the big macho australian team could handle being coached by a tiny nerd

also as frustrating as he is sometimes we might regret losing him.

gavin larsen and shane jurgenson however...

Burgey

Yeah same. Ridiculously long time particularly what he's overseen in the last decade.
Yeah, Kimber’s article linked in t’other thread is bang on. Sutherland gets to be the pious bastard handing out the bans after overseeing the culture which led to all of this.

Burgey

I'm not sure Langer would be much of an improvement. Jason Gillespie on the other hand, would be exactly what we need. Wouldn't mind Ponting staying on for some sort of role either.
Yeah agree fully with this. If not Dizzy then Punter imho, if either are prepared to put up with the travel.

Zinzan

Could we package them a 2 for 1 deal and throw wet-fish Gavy Larsen at them too, as head of selectors? He'll make sure he picks blokes who he'd allow his daughter to date.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Completely agree.

You see the bare faced hypocrisy of a prick like KP, who sooked most his career about innuendo and assumptions about his influence in the team, yet sends out a tweet laughing at a suggestion Lehmann didn't know. Which is borderline slander. He, and anyone else outside that group has no ****ing idea and shouldn't claim to.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, probably. And tbf he almost certainly does feel like **** right now and his rationale does make sense at face value.
There was only going to be more scrutiny on him - it would have gotten out during the Test and been even worse.