• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann resigns

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Although the sanctions were over-the-top on those individuals, I do think Australian cricket will be better off in the long-term, especially now Lehmann has gone.

They get a decent bloke like a Langer, or a Stephen Fleming (if they could handle another non-aussie coach) and start building a team that has a bit of humanity about them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I imagine the complete story will emerge in the fullness of time, but the timing does seem a little strange given he was exonerated, however implausibly, only yesterday.

24 hours is a long time in politics and all that.

Spark

Global Moderator
I imagine the complete story will emerge in the fullness of time, but the timing does seem a little strange given he was exonerated, however implausibly, only yesterday.

24 hours is a long time in politics and all that.
I don't quite get why he didn't do it after the Test. Surely the team doesn't need any more distractions...

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
... Resigned my arse.Barely 24 hours or so ago he said he was staying put.

'Pushed' is the operative word in this sense.The cattle prod the higher ups used to get Boof moving on must've been good one.

the big bambino

International Captain
Do the plebs have enough blood yet?
I hope so. The reaction has been worse than the cheating incident. Egged on by a truly ugly self righteousness.

Darren Lehmann steps down as Australia coach - ESPNcricinfo

I can't watch this live but if this is his statement....

He is taking no responsibility for his actions in this.

Maybe wrong but that what I've seen so far.
Thats because its looking likely he din't know and if he did would have stopped it.

They get a decent bloke like a Langer, or a Stephen Fleming (if they could handle another non-aussie coach) and start building a team that has a bit of humanity about them.
Not meaning to be personal but I don't like that description. If Faf can twice do this sort of thing an keep his job then i think they are being held to a higher, unfair standard.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Thats because its looking likely he din't know and if he did would have stopped it.

Not meaning to be personal but I don't like that description. If Faf can twice do this sort of thing an keep his job then i think they are being held to a higher, unfair standard.
This stopped being about ball tampering a long time ago.... and Lehmann maybe sticking his head in the sand about issues within the Aus team at the very least makes him complicit in the mess....

Spark

Global Moderator
But nobody has any sympathy for him do they? Or is this trying to feed off sympathy for Smith and co?
I mean I have sympathy for him at a personal level, as I don't doubt that this is a pretty horrible time for him. But this situation is more his fault, broader-picture-wise, than anyone else's IMO, save maybe Sutherland.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I mean I have sympathy for him at a personal level, as I don't doubt that this is a pretty horrible time for him. But this situation is more his fault, broader-picture-wise, than anyone else's IMO, save maybe Sutherland.
Exactly... but his continued behavior is that of an innocent bystander. He can go get ****ed... and I say this as somebody who has no interest in the general behaviour of the Aussie team.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
17 years in the job though. I had no idea he had been in that position for so long until this saga.

He's big, too big to fail.

the big bambino

International Captain
This stopped being about ball tampering a long time ago..../QUOTE]

But you said he is taking no responsibility for his action in this; giving the impression you are speaking about the ball tampering. Understandable really because without that incident we have no incident.

Spark

Global Moderator
17 years in the job though. I had no idea he had been in that position for so long until this saga.

He's big, too big to fail.
Yeah same. Ridiculously long time particularly what he's overseen in the last decade.