• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Consolation: Man of the Match.

tooextracool

International Coach
i remember around 3-4 years ago when tendulkar was caught red handed tampering with the ball and gavaskar like the unbiased SOB that he is backs tendulkar up by saying that he was only trying to make it easier for the batsman to see the ball!

Loony BoB

International Captain
I guess nobody can answer the second question, then. I sent it into Cricinfo to try my luck with the Ask Steve column. Fingers crossed on that one...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hint for Loony BoB: Search for all the ODI teams on StatsGuru. Turn on advanced filter, put wickets lost 0, and match result to lost.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Thanks - can you tell me how to set it to wickets lost? I can search with "Wickets from: _ to _" for batting and bowling, but I'm not sure how that can be fitted to find how many wickets were lost.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Batting filters, wickets from 0 to 0, that would be.

(as the team in question would be batting, and losing no wickets, and still losing the match)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bets I can manage are five games where the losing side lost two wickets:

ODI 56
Pakistan v India, 1978/79, 3rd One-day International
Zafar Ali Stadium, Sahiwal
3 November 1978 (40-overs match)

Pakistan 205 beat India 183-2

Bishen Bedi conceded the match in protest against the short pitched bowling tactics of Pakistan. Sarfraz Nawaz's last 4 deliveries were all out of reach of the batsmen, and not called wide by the umpire.

ODI 619
Rothmans Cup Triangular Series, 1989/90, 6th Match
New Zealand v Australia
Eden Park, Auckland
10 March 1990 (50-overs match)

Australia 239-6 beat New Zealand 167-2 (Rain-affected)

ODI 717
Benson & Hedges World Cup, 1991/92, 4th Match
Pakistan v West Indies
Melbourne Cricket Ground
23 February 1992 (50-overs match)

Pakistan 220-2 lost to West Indies 221-0

ODI 732
Benson & Hedges World Cup, 1991/92, 19th Match
India v Zimbabwe
Trust Bank Park, Hamilton
7 March 1992 (32-overs match)

India 203-7 beat Zimbabwe 109-2 (Rain-affected)

ODI 2096
West Indies in South Africa, 2003/04, 5th One-Day International
South Africa v West Indies
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg (day/night)
4 February 2004 (50-over match)

West Indies 304-2 lost to South Africa 310-6

I love research :)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Has a team ever gone through the 50 overs without losing a wicket then? Not necasserily losing the game, I mean.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Consolation :Man of the match

There has been lot of insinuation and rumours regarding ball tampering in some parts of the world. Some have suggested this as one of the reasons why South Africans do exceedingly well at home, but not so well outside their home patch. This has been said particularly, not of their frontline bowlers, but of bowlers of the calibre of Jacques Kallis and Lance Klusener.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jason

my previous response was in reply to a post previously along this thread regarding ball tampering. As a newcomer to this site I have still not found a way of using the 'quote' icon for replying a particular post in the thread.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
Has a team ever gone through the 50 overs without losing a wicket then? Not necasserily losing the game, I mean.
1st 200* SC Williams & S Chanderpaul West Indies v India Bridgetown 1996/97

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There are a few cases of the openers finishing the game - but as no teams have lost with 0 down, the only way a team could bat through 50 overs without loss would be scoring the winning runs of the last ball.. not likely IMO.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Lara won the MAN OF THE SERIES in Sri Lanka despite WI losing 3-0 in 2001. He also picked up the MOM in the 3rd Test when he scored 221 and 130 in the same test but WI still lost.