• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what should the punishment be according to CW.

To me, reading speculation of life bans for Smith (and Warner) seems ridiculously over the top, regardless of how premeditated it was. At the same time I think he should be stripped of the captaincy for life, if nothing else for the reason that the Australia Test captain is said to be as important as the PM.

So what punishment do you feel is appropriate?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
6 month ban and permanently stripped of the captaincy. Possible pay cut.

It'll hurt our World Cup prep but won't affect the India tests or the Ashes prep.

anil1405

International Captain
Ban for life is the high end punishment as per CA's norms that might have been set for offenses like crime off the field or punching someone on the cricket field or so.

Media are just using possible "life bans" to sensationalize the news and create more drama, that's it.

Zinzan

Ban for life is the high end punishment as per CA's norms that might have been set for offenses like crime off the field or punching someone on the cricket field or so.

Media are just using possible "life bans" to sensationalize the news and create more drama, that's it.
100% with you there.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah. Send him to Hong Kong so ***** can decide the rest of his punishment.
I'd have him serve community service by umpiring youth games but I reckon he'd be a bad example for the youth. What with being a lying cheat and everything.

morgieb

Somewhere between Option 3 & 4.

Most important thing is permanent exclusion from future leadership positions.

social

Assuming that CA does something (and the PR fallout will be massive if they don't so I think that can be discounted), I'm leaning towards stripping them of leadership roles, withdrawing NOCs for the IPL and suspensions of 6 months

Aside from match fixing penalties, that would be by far the biggest ever penalty ever handed down as it would not only cost in terms of prestige but also in millions of dollars

Anything more than that would be absolute overkill

Starfighter

Aside from match fixing penalties, that would be by far the biggest ever penalty ever handed down as it would not only cost in terms of prestige but also in millions of dollars

Anything more than that would be absolute overkill
And in terms of the precedent set by every other instance of ball tampering that is still massive overkill. I'm afraid I find this idea of brand protection rather silly, certainly no other country seems to worry about it, but the same goes for the whole kerfuffle of it in the first place.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant

I wonder whether some are floating this so as to create some sympathy for Smith based on 'well he deserves to be punished but that's going too far' backlash.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I voted for captaincy loss and 6 months but I think it would be best for all concerned (including Smith himself) if he weren't to play international cricket next summer.

The anger from the Australian public is really something and having him be there for the first Test of the summer will just bring up all the resentment again. Perhaps just play domestic cricket for the summer and slowly work his way back into Tests away from home.

Daemon

How many games will he miss in 6 months? Imo a suspension for 1 series in each format is more than enough. Can resume captaincy once he's back.