• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Were we saying something about the calls for overly harsh punishments being largely from the non-cricket following public and not from people on here?
Well people are saying maybe a year etc... which is over the top. A 6 month ban is pointless given the fact Australia only have a useless thrashing in the ODI's in England in that time.

The punishment needs to be harsh enough to be a deterrent but not overly tough. So a 3 match test ban seems about right.

TheJediBrah

Well people are saying maybe a year etc... which is over the top. A 6 month ban is pointless given the fact Australia only have a useless thrashing in the ODI's in England in that time.

The punishment needs to be harsh enough to be a deterrent but not overly tough. So a 3 match test ban seems about right.
Uh, no, a 1 match ban is already far harsher than previous offenders have gotten. There's no sensible justification for a harsher sentence of this level 2 offence.

flibbertyjibber

Uh, no, a 1 match ban is already far harsher than previous offenders have gotten. There's no sensible justification for a harsher sentence of this level 2 offence.
The fact they have been doing it for so long and tried to ride it out with sheer arrogance deserves punishing if only to knock him down a peg or two.

OverratedSanity

The fact they have been doing it for so long and tried to ride it out with sheer arrogance deserves punishing if only to knock him down a peg or two.
The SA team had 3 provable instances in the space of 2-3 years.
Australia's arrogance and hypocrisy makes all this very satisfying but that doesn't mean they deserve disproportionate punishment. Even though it's funny to watch them implode.

TheJediBrah

Ah yes, I forgot about the arrogance clause and peg-knocking-down paragraph of the ICC laws

and no this was almost certainly the first time they've seriously tried it, shown by how inept and moronic they were at it

Burgey

He loses the captaincy and rides out the ICC sanction. That’s what it deserves imo.

Losing the captaincy is a big ****ing deal in Australian sport. The biggest deal tbh.

flibbertyjibber

and no this was almost certainly the first time they've seriously tried it, shown by how inept and moronic they were at it
If you believe that then you really are deluded.

As Broad said, why change from the tactics that worked in the ashes when they got it reversing and we didn't? They were cheating for ages and everyone knows it bar you.

TheJediBrah

As Broad said, why change from the tactics that worked in the ashes when they got it reversing and we didn't? They were cheating for ages and everyone knows it bar you.
You could be perfectly describing the England team for the last decade. Glass houses, stones, etc.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He loses the captaincy and rides out the ICC sanction. That’s what it deserves imo.

Losing the captaincy is a big ****ing deal in Australian sport. The biggest deal tbh.
Losing the captaincy like this would be crushing

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

:laugh: Oh do wake up to it all Brah. What about the pocket full of sugar during the Ashes?? Was that to help the medicine go down??

What's it going to take to convince you this isn't a blip, it's not a one off........this is cricket and Australia play it the same way everyone else does.

You could be perfectly describing the England team for the last decade. Glass houses, stones, etc.
Again, you don't hear any of us denying it? I'd like to think for the most part we're a little more subtle with it though, but we know our **** stinks..........when are you going to turn around and smell yours?

Edit:

And ftr this is why I'm not advocating for any ban beyond what the ICC has already imposed on Smith.......it's just not that big a deal IMO. I do think he should lose the captaincy forever but that's more to do with the shambles this team has become with him as skip

Last edited:

Zinzan

I should have included the option of being permanently stripped of the captaincy without any match suspensions, but the 3rd option is close enough, and overwhelmingly the consensus.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I should have included the option of being permanently stripped of the captaincy without any match suspensions, but the 3rd option is close enough, and overwhelmingly the consensus.
Haha yeah that was my opinion and I ended up ticking that option. The ICC are suspending him for one game anyway, which I figured you thought sorta counted.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

England couldnt get it to reverse because they bowled half rat power short crap for most of the series

Short memories on here

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
England couldnt get it to reverse because they bowled half rat power short crap for most of the series

Short memories on here
So because we bowled slow short rubbish this means the Aussies weren't tampering with the ball? OK.