• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most of the people calling for life bans dobt watch cricket anyways so rushing him back isn't an issue imo.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Its been a totally over the top reaction. Suspension for a series and no captaincy for 2 years will do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
God damn it, I somehow knew my opinion wouldn't have a poll option for it.

He should be stipped of captaincy forever, and not banned from any games (other than the one the ICC will ban him from). Warner too.

morgieb

How many games will he miss in 6 months? Imo a suspension for 1 series in each format is more than enough. Can resume captaincy once he's back.
Tour of England (ODI only) at least, I think we're also touring Zimbabwe (also likely ODI only). Australia won't play Tests until the India series next summer.

TheJediBrah

He should be stipped of captaincy forever, and not banned from any games (other than the one the ICC will ban him from). Warner too.
I second this.

How many games will he miss in 6 months? Imo a suspension for 1 series in each format is more than enough. Can resume captaincy once he's back.
Pls no.

Not because of the tampering thing. Just because he sucks as captain.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why strip someone of captaincy forever? What if he were to reform, grow some facial hair and develop wrinkles, become a born again pagan and start to speak with a gentlemanly English accent? Still no chance to redeem himself?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Stripped of captaincy is punishment enough. He has already been banned for a game, which is the punishment by the laws. Don't really feel the need to ban him longer.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And in terms of the precedent set by every other instance of ball tampering that is still massive overkill. I'm afraid I find this idea of brand protection rather silly, certainly no other country seems to worry about it, but the same goes for the whole kerfuffle of it in the first place.
You're dealing with CA

They're seeing the reaction in Australia and are dealing with sponsors while negotiating a new tv deal

I'll be amazed if they don't err on the high side and will ignore the irony of sending out a team on Friday against 2 convicted ball tamperers

Victor Ian

International Coach
I just want to see if he can come back from this and more so Warner. Warner has been **** ever since he took it upon himself to change back to his former self. It's as if he has been too distracted with being a wanker.

Spark

Global Moderator
6 months, removed from captaincy (not even as a punishment tbh) and not considered for central contracts for a year.

One thing which is flying under the radar is that Smith will be a lot, lot, lot poorer than he otherwise would have been regardless of what happens. Gone from one of the most marketable sportsmen in the country to one of the least in about 4 hours.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Ill go with this too. And to add I don't think he should lose the captaincy for the ball tampering alone, but because of the feral culture this team has adopted under his captaincy.

TheJediBrah

Why strip someone of captaincy forever? What if he were to reform, grow some facial hair and develop wrinkles, become a born again pagan and start to speak with a gentlemanly English accent? Still no chance to redeem himself?
Hmm ok if he can grow some facial hair then he can be captain

(only saying this because I know it's not possible)

Daemon

While we're handing out punishments willy nilly, I propose banning Lyon permanently.

TheJediBrah

As far as Warner's concerned, the whole world knowing and laughing about his wife's ***ual past is already punishment enough for anything he does IMO

Really feel for the guy. There's no escaping that.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Take his 1 match ban. Strip him and Warner of captaincy. Get on with the game.

Is the Aus public really that unhappy or is this just media hype? I can't imagine how this has created such a scandal amongst the Australian public, most of whom, probably don't watch cricket.

Oh and scan Lehmann for the good of cricket.

Starfighter

Is the Aus public really that unhappy or is this just media hype? I can't imagine how this has created such a scandal amongst the Australian public, most of whom, probably don't watch cricket.
The media hype feeds into the public and you end up with a positive feedback cycle of the type that creates tropical cyclones, except these storms occur in teacups.

Yes

social

Take his 1 match ban. Strip him and Warner of captaincy. Get on with the game.

It's everwhere

I went out to lunch with a few friends yesterday who have hardly watched a ball in their life and they were all over it

_Ed_

As far as Warner's concerned, the whole world knowing and laughing about his wife's ***ual past is already punishment enough for anything he does IMO

Really feel for the guy. There's no escaping that.
I can't quite understand what's so significant (or funny) about this tbh. Not being your wife's first partner isn't that much of a big deal.