• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appropriate Punishment for Smith from CA

What punishment should Smith be handed out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolo

State Captain
and before this, ball tampering cast it in a good light?
A year ban for ball tampering is insanely disproportionate. I still think the ban is insanely disproportionate, but I feel a lot more comfortable by them getting done by this offence.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Firstly you have the ball-tampering which is bad enough in itself.

Then they lied to the umpires.

They they, when ''coming clean'', lied again about the sandpaper.

One of the players is the captain, the figurehead of Australian Cricket.

I do not know why anyone would desire a light sentence?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Feel sorry for Steve, his ban is too long. Barncroft's is fair.
Warner too short given his past record...

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Firstly you have the ball-tampering which is bad enough in itself.

Then they lied to the umpires.

They they, when ''coming clean'', lied again about the sandpaper.

One of the players is the captain, the figurehead of Australian Cricket.

I do not know why anyone would desire a light sentence?
Every appeal for LBW when its obvious its hit the bat first...Is a lie
Every appeal for a catch when it hasn't carried..... is a lie
Standing there when you have smashed it to gully on the full..is a lie

I would desire a lighter sentence, because the punishment should be fair across the board...this patently isn't....
I'll admit its been hilarious, as a Pom, ive revelled in it to a certain extent, how the mighty have fallen etc, but thats hardly the point.
These offences should carry a mandatory sentence, the ICC has to be the arbiter of that.
The AC has acted in relation to public opinion, and not to the nature of the offence in question, while some find that laudible, I actually don't, because I see it as patently unfair, given the past discretions of players from other countries

Borges

International Regular
I would desire a lighter sentence, because the punishment should be fair across the board...this patently isn't.... The AC has acted in relation to public opinion, and not to the nature of the offence in question, while some find that laudible, I actually don't, because I see it as patently unfair, given the past discretions of players from other countries
I tend to agree with this sentiment.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain

I would desire a lighter sentence, because the punishment should be fair across the board...this patently isn't....
I'll admit its been hilarious, as a Pom, ive revelled in it to a certain extent, how the mighty have fallen etc, but thats hardly the point.
These offences should carry a mandatory sentence, the ICC has to be the arbiter of that.
The AC has acted in relation to public opinion, and not to the nature of the offence in question, while some find that laudible, I actually don't, because I see it as patently unfair, given the past discretions of players from other countries
Terrible analogy.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Terrible analogy.
Fair comment mate...depends on your view of the "Spirit of the game"..as long as there are grey areas, its neither white nor black is it?
The boundaries will forever be pushed, and this sort of thing will simply carry on

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant

Nonsense they were using dodgy tactics.

That's much more different to a batsman not walking... More batsman have walked without being given out than being brought back after they have been given out unfairly after the opposition seeing replays.

Scratching and biting a cricket ball is in another league.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It's the perfect ban. The fact that at least some of the public feels this is too harsh means he will be fully accepted back post-rehab. Captaining again is a bridge too far at this moment but it isn't inconceivable that he recovers sufficient goodwill by his early 30s to be considered for the post. Still the best Test batsman of his generation, so if he keeps his game sharp and remains contrite enough, he should be in the discussion.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From the ABC

With over 1,000 votes tallied up, 38 per cent of our Messenger users thought the punishments were fitting, 35 per cent though they should have been harsher, and 27 per cent believed they were too harsh
Now the ABC audience is very much the moralising stones-in-glass-houses sort of audience, so I'm not surprised at well over half in favour.

Spark

Global Moderator
From the ABC

Now the ABC audience is very much the moralising stones-in-glass-houses sort of audience, so I'm not surprised at well over half in favour.
Those ABC polls in my experience don't really hew to the "inner city leftie" ABC stereotype IMO, probably because a hell of a lot of people read the ABC website.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Until the start of the Australian summer. Hopefully all three will be integrated back into the team and the fervour surrounding their controversies will have died down (a bit). Will also allow a new group of players under a different captain to gain some test match experience overseas (Zimbabwe and Bangladesh)

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Nonsense they were using dodgy tactics.

That's much more different to a batsman not walking... More batsman have walked without being given out than being brought back after they have been given out unfairly after the opposition seeing replays.

Scratching and biting a cricket ball is in another league.
It all goes against the spirit of the game though mate.
We accept players "not walking" now, as though its a right of passage,and we accept catches "on the bounce", because we have the DRS, its a constant drip drip drip of the game being undermined...
Now we have "Sweets in the mouth are fair enough", ....Sandpaper is way out of bounds.
what is cheating and what isn't?
its a whole grey area that should have been wiped out immediately with the sort of ban the AC have delivered, but had this harsh penalty been in place, or threatened in previous years, we wouldn't have come to the pretty pass we are at now.
I still think the penalties on Smith and Bancroft are harsh, I've little sympathy with Warner...Ive always found him an odious individual.
If sledging is humorous, I have no problem with it, I even find it entertaining, but this "yer Mum" stuff is childish and boorish.
Its simply the way I see cricket, you may well have a different opinion and I doubt we can say who is right or who is wrong, its a matter of opinion.
What it isn't.... is nonsense, because as soon as you start settling for cheating, which "Not walking" and claiming "catches on the bounce" Is..in my opinion...You open the door to players taking it the one step further....
Which is what has happened