• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball Tampering General Discussion

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Iff you haven’t taken lip balm on the field to shine the ball you aren’t a cricketer. Also, as I’ve said before, when you go off for rain and the ball is wet, pinch the seam together so it stands upright then put it in a pie oven til you go back on. ****ing thing decks so much it’s like you’re bowling a Rubik’s cube.
since when are the players allowed to keep the balls during the break

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always liked this bit from 10 for 66 and all that:

Arthur Mailey said:
One day in Sydney, Johnny Douglas, the England captain, asked me to show him my hand. He held it for a while the said, 'Arthur, you've been using resin. I'll report you to the umpire'. I asked him to show me his right hand, and looking at the thumb-nail I noticed it was worn the flesh the outside. 'You've been lifting the seam, Johnny,' I said. My co-rebel grinned and the matter was dropped. On the following day I read in the paper: 'Douglas and Mailey appear to be good friends again. They were shaking hands out in the middle yesterday.'
Just a reminder that was a generation of cricketers from a time when doing such things was normal and who continued to tamper with the ball even when it was made illegal. These players of course come from the sort of era that seems to be idealised by modern commentators as a time of fair play and good spirit compared to today.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rules are ridiculous

If you can shine a ball with your hand and use saliva from your mouth, I don't see why you can't raise the seam with your finger or even use your nails to scour the surface of the ball

Draw the line at bringing stuff onto the field that shouldn't be there (e.g. sandpaper) and the blatantly obvious like rubbing the ball in the foot marks/using spikes/6 inch long finger nails

Everything else is fair game IMO

Last edited: