• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball Tampering General Discussion

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only acceptable form of work you can do on the ball is licking your finger applying on the ball and then rubbing on your trousers. Its one of crickets weird things that we do and shouldn't be taken away. Throwing the ball in on the bounce is a skilled art by being able to land it on the right side so that can stay.
Any use of tools or fingers to damage the ball by picking the seam or scratching is wrong and and should be dealt with
I'm ok with the status quo as well. Certainly none of the suggestions thus far seem like they'd be an improvement.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
I'm ok with the status quo as well. Certainly none of the suggestions thus far seem like they'd be an improvement.
Me too...its the penalties for abuse of tgis "status quo" that needs addressing....The ICC should play a major part in this, because its OK them giving "Demerit" points or one match bans...While the AC decide to hang the players out to dry..10 year bans etc....That may well stop the aussies doing it...but lets be honest...Every buggers at it, so there has to consistency, across all cricket playing nations, its pointless otherwise

SillyCowCorner1

Also baseball is for pussies

In a real man's sport you gotta let them play with the ball. Apply bodily fluids, rough it up, give it a good rubbing on the trousers. That's how men play.
They only tampering they do to the ball is when it's rubbed with a special mud obtained from the banks of the Delaware River...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Any side that can condition a ball to reverse is probably guilty of ball tampering. Reverse swing shouldn't happen if the fielding side obeyed the laws of the game to the letter.

What I think needs to change is the subtler methods of tampering probably need to be legalised. Fielding sides shouldn't need to get creative by throwing the ball into the wicket keeper on the bounce, for example.

Athlai

Not Terrible
even artificially aged balls often swing. it's basically the nz tactic for getting the benefit of a new or newish ball for 80 overs. first discovered in their 2012 Sri Lankan tour where the balls were genuinely falling to bits and they've been doing it for years. every summer it's 'a bad batch of kookaburras'.

it's a bit like McCullum claiming nz don't sledge, spirit of cricket etc then turning a blind eye to wagner, mcclenaghan and mills carrying on.

I don't mind it of course. It's smarter than australias current tactic.
England had four balls swapped when bowling against us. This happens with every kookaburra game. The balls are often rubbish.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ball tampering is such a low level crime and IMO it should be legalised through natural ways. I reckon you should be able to pick at the seam etc. but not any foreign objects

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Me too...its the penalties for abuse of tgis "status quo" that needs addressing....The ICC should play a major part in this, because its OK them giving "Demerit" points or one match bans...While the AC decide to hang the players out to dry..10 year bans etc....That may well stop the aussies doing it...but lets be honest...Every buggers at it, so there has to consistency, across all cricket playing nations, its pointless otherwise
I think this is a major point that should be addressed by the ICC. It looks pretty stupid for the ICC imo, when the ICC give a player a ban of 1 game and we have a cricket board who might potentially ban some of these players for up to 6-12 months.

If players knew that would be the basic punishment for getting caught, by the governing authority, I would think most people would think twice about it.

REDBACKING

Cricket Spectator
Explain the difference.

Please explain the difference in someone purposely taking a sticky mint out on the field and someone taking some sticky tape out on the field, when both had the intention to tamper with the ball. Also do you think others in both instances knew what was happening, when in both instances captians were involved.? I do not condone any of these actions. but find the extreme reactions and treatment of one and not the other as unbelievable. Also one team was man enough to own up and the other in complete denial to their stupidity..

FBU

International Debutant
I am all for the fielder throwing the ball in at the pitch once an over. :)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How about the umpire decides... he gets bored with the game, grabs the ball and roughs up one side. Play on....

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean it's going to be 100% impossible for any relaxation to happen for a long time now.

Burgey

The line (there's that word again) should be with foreign objects (that is you can't tamper with the ball with objects that you wouldn't have on you in the field anyway). Ball tampering with objects on you (like saliva, sunscreen, whatever) is generally OK, sandpaper or bottle tops a no-no.
Iff you haven’t taken lip balm on the field to shine the ball you aren’t a cricketer. Also, as I’ve said before, when you go off for rain and the ball is wet, pinch the seam together so it stands upright then put it in a pie oven til you go back on. ****ing thing decks so much it’s like you’re bowling a Rubik’s cube.

Burner

International Regular
The rules are fine as they are imo. Don't want anymore re-appropriation of the balance between bat and ball. There's plenty of help for bowlers in test cricket atleast. Can't imagine what the ball will do in a context like the recent SA vs IND series where the balance was already skewed towards the favour of the bowlers.

Victor Ian

International Coach
The rules are fine as they are imo. Don't want anymore re-appropriation of the balance between bat and ball. There's plenty of help for bowlers in test cricket atleast. Can't imagine what the ball will do in a context like the recent SA vs IND series where the balance was already skewed towards the favour of the bowlers.
That's only because they knew how to not get caught.