• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging is an art I feel.

Scallywag

Banned
chicane said:
Well abt the Pathan incident I think Martyn was beaten once and Pathan just gave him a glare, to which Martyn said sumthin like what the F r you lookin at u F'n piece of sh*t. Even a 19 year old rookie will not like such disrespect.
And yeah Pathan was just clapping, Brad Williams was like a wild untamed animal on the face of the Indian captain.....and he gotaway with it.

When Martyn came out to bat all the Indian fielders were making racist remarks about him and then Pathan got carried away with it and didnt listen to the umpire and thats why he was reprimanded.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
chicane said:
And yeah Pathan was just clapping, Brad Williams was like a wild untamed animal on the face of the Indian captain.....and he gotaway with it.
No no, Pathan was ruthlessly clapping in the face of an incredibly quiet and well-spoken Aussie who was struggling with form, while Williams was merely celebrating a wicket of the skipper.

(Note the sarcasm in this post.)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
what "supposedly" happend with chris cairns and what happend with mcgrath and his wife is when sledgin goes out of hand. i know from personal experience that when your playing and its hot (and your losing...) that often words just blurt out your mouth and u dont even realise, but i dont think that makes it right.

chicane

State Captain
Linda said:
No no, Pathan was ruthlessly clapping in the face of an incredibly quiet and well-spoken Aussie who was struggling with form, while Williams was merely celebrating a wicket of the skipper.

(Note the sarcasm in this post.)
:happy:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
When Martyn came out to bat all the Indian fielders were making racist remarks about him and then Pathan got carried away with it and didnt listen to the umpire and thats why he was reprimanded.
Racist remarks ?? You got to be kidding. Please share with us the racist remarks Indian fielders were making.

krkode

State Captain
orangepitch said:
Hows that an advantage ? if the aussies, safricans.....etc dont understand it, then it doesnt affect them .

And I know Hindi and a bit of Urdu , and I havent seen any Indian sledge. What are you talking about , Craig ?
It's because they know they're being talked about...Badly at that.

And that often causes hurt or anxiety.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ash chaulk said:
i love standing behind the stumps and telling a batter hes crap or to tell him i dare ya dance him you woose
That means you dont have enough confidence in yours or your bowlers abilities.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Sledging is an art form and so is pulling the race card.
Then why this hue and cry over zimbabwe Issue.

Sri Lanka and India allways pull the race card even though they would have to be the most racist people playing cricket.
Sri Lanka & India Play the race card ?? When and where ?

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Sledging is an art form and so is pulling the race card.

Sri Lanka and India allways pull the race card even though they would have to be the most racist people playing cricket.
No that's not true. Incidents like the Darren Lehmann episode are what provoke them to 'pull the racist card' as you put it. It's not a way of sledging or an 'art form'.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Scallywag said:
Racist remarks against Martyn :blink: . You gotta be kidding :wacko: . Pathan was reprimanded b'coz the Aus team complained about him to MR while the Indian Captain complained to Ponting about Williams instead of Match Refree. I would be the last person to support them if they made racist remarks. Indian players making racist remarks wasn't mentioned anywhere in the media or even by the aussie players and so how did you get this?

twctopcat

International Regular
Sanz said:
That means you dont have enough confidence in yours or your bowlers abilities.
Rubbish, could just be having a bit of fun, something called a sense of humour. Things on the field don't necessarily translate to off the field, it's just part of the game. I think most sportsmen would agree with that. So long as it's left on the field i think it can be accepted.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Rubbish, could just be having a bit of fun, something called a sense of humour. Things on the field don't necessarily translate to off the field, it's just part of the game. I think most sportsmen would agree with that. So long as it's left on the field i think it can be accepted.
I already said Sense of humor is fine but abusing your opponents, insulting them, getting into their personal lives in the name of mental disintegration, making racist remarks is cheap and the only reason you do is when nothing else works.

If these things dont translate to off the field then why it is an issue today ? Why has Cricket Australia banned it ?

twctopcat

International Regular
Sanz said:
I already said Sense of humor is fine but abusing your opponents, insulting them, getting into their personal lives in the name of mental disintegration, making racist remarks is cheap and the only reason you do is when nothing else works.

If these things dont translate to off the field then why it is an issue today ? Why has Cricket Australia banned it ?
Thats obvious, of course it's wrong to resort to racist comments or other such methods of insulting them. But i was referring to the point that you said calling someone rubbish only happens if you cannot compete. There are forms of sledging that is fair, and of course there are some that aren't.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
McGrath: Hey, what does Brian Lara's c--k taste like?
Sarwan: I don't know, ask your wife?
McGrath: If you ever f---ing mention my wife again, I will f---ing rip your f---ing throat out.
Even in the circumstances, I think Sarwan was in the right there.... When a grumpy fast bowler spouts **** like that, the "spirit" and "unwritten conduct" behind sledging just disappears...

Serves you right McGrath...

Race card? I think the Indians and the Sri Lankans are as bad as each other when it comes down to it..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Race card? I think the Indians and the Sri Lankans are as bad as each other when it comes down to it..
Err, When was the last time an Indian player pulled the race card on or off the field ??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Centurion Park I think it was...

Mike Deness?? Discrimination?? Pots and Kettles, Handbags??
Was Mike Deness playing for South Africa ?? As far as I know none of the Indian players said anything to Mike Deness on or off the field.

Can you quote any Indian Player on or off the field ?? Wasn't south Africa also party to that Incident ?? Do you want me to bring the Quotes of South African Officials and other Non-Indian ex-cricketers ??

Is that the best you can come up with ?? I fail to understand how this incident qualifies as sledging.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
Was Mike Deness playing for South Africa ?? As far as I know none of the Indian players said anything to Mike Deness on or off the field.

Can you quote any Indian Player on or off the field ?? Wasn't south Africa also party to that Incident ?? Do you want me to bring the Quotes of South African Officials and other Non-Indian ex-cricketers ??

Is that the best you can come up with ?? I fail to understand how this incident qualifies as sledging.
It doesn't, and he never claimed that it did.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Didn't it go something along the lines of "We're not agreeing with your decision to ban Sehwag for one game so we'll play him anywhere. And we don't want him refereeing us again. Listen or we sulk. Sulk. Threaten to leave ICC"?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:

Is that the best you can come up with ??
South Africa had nothing to do with that incident....

It was a fine being dished out by a respected ICC match referee for a series of punishable offences.. It was made clear by the Indians afterwards that they felt they were being "Discriminated against".. I have no specific quotes because it was a long while ago... But that was the general consensus at the time.. Their actions in boycotting the final test match were appaling and childish...
I feel the Indians were both highly immature in what they did, and let off very very lightly by the ICC...
By the way, I was referring to both players and the authorities...
Across the Jaffna Straight, Im sure Arjuna Ranatunga played the race card with Muralitharan once or twice, although I will be prepared to be proved wrong as a lot of it was before my time...

Im off to bed anyway/....