• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging is an art I feel.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
McGrath: Hey, what does Brian Lara's c--k taste like?
Sarwan: I don't know, ask your wife?
McGrath: If you ever f---ing mention my wife again, I will f---ing rip your f---ing throat out.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
McGrath: If you ever f---ing mention my wife again, I will f---ing rip your f---ing throat out.
as far as i am concerned, sarwan was not in any way guilty in this incident....mcgrath acted like a typical bully, dishing it out in plenty, but when he got a taste of his own medicine, didn't like it one bit.....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Anil said:
as far as i am concerned, sarwan was not in any way guilty in this incident....mcgrath acted like a typical bully, dishing it out in plenty, but when he got a taste of his own medicine, didn't like it one bit.....
Yup. I don't see anything wrong it giving stuff out so long as you can take it back.

Scallywag

Banned
Sledging is an art form and so is pulling the race card.

Sri Lanka and India allways pull the race card even though they would have to be the most racist people playing cricket.

krkode

State Captain
Scallywag said:

Sri Lanka and India allways pull the race card even though they would have to be the most racist people playing cricket.
:mellow:

krkode

State Captain
A common trait of a historically repressed race, now enjoying relative equality?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:
Can u give me a link of this BBC forum, I am hearing about it for a long time and the nonsenese that takes place there
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tms/

Consists of four msg brds. Counties, England, South Asian and Other international. No points for guessing which one is the most .....er...agressive. Believe me it can get pretty ugly there at times. I hope this forum never gets like that.

Craig

World Traveller
Sanz said:
And then there are classics like this :-
Mcgrath to Sarwan :-
"If you ever f---ing mention my wife again, I will f---ing rip your f---ing throat out."
There was a similar case in the early 90s when Chris Cairns' sister was killed in a train accident and some Australian players were alleged to have said "Choo Choo" when he was batting.

That to me if it was said goes to far.

If any player sledged something, they will cop and absolute gobful, no matter who they are.

Craig

World Traveller
Scallywag said:

The one adavtanage teams like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka have is that they sledge (racist or not) pretty badly in Hindi, Urdu, and the language they speak in Sri Lanka (not sure what it is) and no one who isnt from that country wont understand it.

Same with South Africa as they all speak in Afrikaans when out in the field. Makes sense really.

Scallywag

Banned
Craig said:
There was a similar case in the early 90s when Chris Cairns' sister was killed in a train accident and some Australian players were alleged to have said "Choo Choo" when he was batting.

That to me if it was said goes to far.

If any player sledged something, they will cop and absolute gobful, no matter who they are.

Chris Cairns has repeatedly said this did not happen.

ash chaulk

International Captain
every sport sledges... every game needs it.. including internet ones

i love standing behind the stumps and telling a batter hes crap or to tell him i dare ya dance him you woose

Craig

World Traveller
Scallywag said:
Chris Cairns has repeatedly said this did not happen.
Note the key word "alleged".

It was something I read a few years back (at two or three years).

V Reddy

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Sledging is all part of the game, and its what makes cricket a tough sport to master...
As long as it doesnt degenerate into personal abuse, or end up in a tasteless prat like Pathan clapping his hands in a class batsmans face, then I have no problem with it...
Pathan said that Martyn said a few words to him which cannot be mentioned and which was not caught on tape but when he returned the favour by clapping it was caught on tape. IMO, Williams behaved much much worse on that tour but was not even reprimanded :wacko:

ash chaulk

International Captain
theres a saying in Aussie Rules "Never Retaliate" because when you do thats when u get caught and sent off or what ever else might happen.

sorry i think i spelt retaliate wrong but incase its re tal e ate... ok

V Reddy

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Great reply there from Sarwan :yes:

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
The one adavtanage teams like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka have is that they sledge (racist or not) pretty badly in Hindi, Urdu, and the language they speak in Sri Lanka (not sure what it is) and no one who isnt from that country wont understand it.

Same with South Africa as they all speak in Afrikaans when out in the field. Makes sense really.

Hows that an advantage ? if the aussies, safricans.....etc dont understand it, then it doesnt affect them .

And I know Hindi and a bit of Urdu , and I havent seen any Indian sledge. What are you talking about , Craig ?

chicane

State Captain
Langeveldt said:
Sledging is all part of the game, and its what makes cricket a tough sport to master...
As long as it doesnt degenerate into personal abuse, or end up in a tasteless prat like Pathan clapping his hands in a class batsmans face, then I have no problem with it...

The line has to be drawn, somewhere.. And providing it doesnt get crossed, it usually ends up as a friendly bit of banter over a beer afterwards...

[/I]
Well abt the Pathan incident I think Martyn was beaten once and Pathan just gave him a glare, to which Martyn said sumthin like what the F r you lookin at u F'n piece of sh*t. Even a 19 year old rookie will not like such disrespect.
And yeah Pathan was just clapping, Brad Williams was like a wild untamed animal on the face of the Indian captain.....and he gotaway with it.

Last edited:

chicane

State Captain
Craig said:

Sledging in Urdu/Hindi is done mostly only in Ind-Pak games but some of the aussie and english players have learnt a couple of urdu/hindi swear words too :cool:

and it works the other way too....most sub-continent players don't understand English. ( Sehwag is the best example:lol: )

Last edited: