• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unlucky not to play tests (or more tests) for South Africa XI Post Isolation

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Criteria: not missed out because were too old once we reached post isolation, or because of constant / career-ending injuries (Martyn, Schultz, Ngam etc.), or because chose to play for another country instead (you know which two in particular.)

1. Andrew Puttick
Got an ODI in which he made a duck, but a consistent and compact domestic run-maker who, whenever there seemed to be an opening opening, someone else appeared ahead of him - Graeme Smith out of nowhere, the reinvention of Neil McKenzie et. al.
2. Terence Lazard
Broke a longstanding record for the highest FC score for South Africa for about month at the beginning of the 93/94 season before his record was in turn broken by one DC Cullinan. Chose to move from Western Province to the less ***y Boland team, and by the time our persistence with Andrew Hudson waned, he had faded to an early retirement... I do know we tried Rudi Steyn, Gerhardus Liebenberg and several others during that time.
3. John Commins
Made a lot of unsexy runs for WP and Boland, and amassed runs for SA A. Batting with a runner because of a groin strain, he forgot to not run, worsening his injury and running himself out. He could never force his way back into the side...
4. Justin Ontong
His first test he was under unfortunate circumstances. He struggled with McGill too, I think? Got another match 3 years later then was dropped again. After that, got pigeonholed as a limited overs player, despite piles of runs for Cobras.
5. Dale Benkenstein(C)
Also pigeon-holed as a limited overs player to some extent, though once the anointed successor as captain to Cronje. He struggled for any sort of fluency batting mostly seven in a number of limited overs games, but I don't think even got as far as a test squad...
6. Zander de Bruyn
Never sure what he did wrong to be dropped so quickly, although wasn't there a change of coach at the time? You feel if Jacques Kallis wasn't in the side he may have played more, as a top six batsmen with solid back-up fast-medium swing as a second string in his bow.
7. Nic Pothas (Wk)
Richardson's successor, but after Richardson is ruled out of the '96 WC, Palframan is selected, Boucher replaces Palframan at Border, and thereafter his chances faded... Never played a test, but I think he got 2 ODI's.
8. Ryan McLaren
Regarded as a bits and pieces player, I still feel at his best his bowling was test quality. Probing lines outside off and a wobbly seam work for Philander, and McLaren could bowl over 140... Got two tests four years apart
9. Steve Elworthy
Picked for the 1992 WC but an injury saw him replaced by Tertius Bosch. A beautiful, high action and lots of wheels he had to wait 6 more years for both odi and test debuts at the age of 33. He still played the last of his four tests at 37.
10. Claude Henderson
Four of his seven tests were on the ill-fated tour of Australia in 2001, where he was, along with Pollock, our leading wicket-taker. He got two more games against Bangladesh, where he was hardly needed, and we never went back to him again; this despite being a finger spinner who, on bouncy pitches especially, could be a genuine attacking option. It always felt like our spinners were picked on batting first...
11. Charl Willoughby
Left-arm fast-medium whose style of accurate fourth-stump bowling would be emulated by rightie Philander to great success. Got two opportunities against Bangladesh and England on dead pitches. If he was ever picked at Newlands you feel his career trajectory may have been different...

BTW, looking back, that's a lot of WP/Boland players, but I'm not a Cobras fan, so...

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Wow didn't realise Elworthy was originally in the 92 WC squad.
Hmm, wrote this as a stream of consciousness. Now trying to find something to back-up that statement, and failing, but then not finding much on the squad at all. Only that Peter Kirsten was selected even though he wasn't on the shortlist of 30. Difficult to corroborate, as pre-Internet era. I think at the very least that must have a [citation needed].

Bolo

State Captain
Craig Matthews- only 18 tests spread across a number of years, but proved himself high class in both test and FC. Could bat a little as well. May have got in a bit late due to apartheid, but also a victim of strong competition- by 95 RSA had Kallis, Macmillan, Donald and Pollock.

A number of spinners from the last few years- not necessarily that good, but would definitely have been given a fair run in the Boje/Symcox/Harris eras

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, wrote this as a stream of consciousness. Now trying to find something to back-up that statement, and failing, but then not finding much on the squad at all. Only that Peter Kirsten was selected even though he wasn't on the shortlist of 30. Difficult to corroborate, as pre-Internet era. I think at the very least that must have a [citation needed].
That's okay mate. On another note, where can you find those original 30-man shortlists?

Bolo

State Captain
Also Alan Dawson. One of the best FC bowlers in the country for many, many years. Got 2 tests in 2003, when probably getting a little old. Would have played more if he'd been born a little later, and probably deserved to play more anyway considering how thin the bowling resources were at the time.

SeamUp

International Coach
I like and I was immediately thinking who else.

I suppose in batting it was those two senior openers Kuhn and Cook (They better than Sven Koenig, Rudi Steyn, Gerhardus Liebenberg, Dougie Watson) .

HD Ackerman and maybe Martin van Jaarsveld at 3/4. current selector Errol Stewart for keeper.

Being a big WP supporter I like the fact that C.Henderson and Willoughby are there GRAB :D but I had a bigger attachment to Alan Dawson. Actually I think most WP supporters would say the same.

I must admit, I can't remember the Elworthy-thing. I do remember Kepler Wessels being a prick about Jimmy Cook and Clive Rice making ultimatums that they're too old and not performing to get picked and he would throw in the towel if they were selected. It nearly worked for Peter Kirsten but he shut a few people up and was our best batsmen at the tournament.

The bowling intrigues me. Think it is under-estimated how strong Seam attacks were in the Currie Cup & Castle Cup early 90s

WP : Pringle, Matthews, McMillan, Simons, Rundle
EP : Schultz, Bryson, Shaw (McCurdy & the other Aussie replaced by Baptiste)
Natal : Rawson, Packer (Marshall/S.Pollock/Klusener/Symcox)
FS : Donald, van Zyl, Boje , Henry (Stephenson/Player)
TVL : Snell, Jack, Rice, Eksteen
N TVL : T.Bosch, de Villiers, Elworthy, Morris

I suppose tons of those bowlers will count unlucky. Like Bolo mentions C.Matthews with 18 tests with the massive competition but Snell and Jack were the fearsome pace duo at the Wanderers and they got a hand-full each.

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Ackerman and Dawson were on my shortlist, but how many WP guys can you include? I think of Dawson as a better L/O bowler, perhaps unfairly. Both Dawson and Willoughby contributed a lot to Philander's (and Kleinveldt's) growth as a bowler. Poor HD's career was ruined by Muralitheran, but perhaps they were a tad harsh... Sven Koenig was also on my shortlist. Considered Rudi, but his bowling could be all over the shop when he had a bad day. Serious paceman on his day though. Another paceman I think I should have considered was Gary Guilder. Left armer,who just couldn't find a way in, after his Natal teammates Pollock and Klusener (another when-we, although unlike Johnson, didn't try playing for Zim). Ross Veenstra was another good leftie, but never seemed to settle anywhere, and often even struggled to keep his place for Natal (originally from Transvaal though)...

Bolo

State Captain
I must admit, I can't remember the Elworthy-thing. I do remember Kepler Wessels being a prick about Jimmy Cook and Clive Rice making ultimatums that they're too old and not performing to get picked and he would throw in the towel if they were selected. It nearly worked for Peter Kirsten but he shut a few people up and was our best batsmen at the tournament.
Interesting. I wasn't aware it had much to do with Kepler. I guess you could rationalise the decision by saying that he was trying to make hard calls to maximise winning odds and not allow fanboy sentiment to play a role.

How horrible he was as a captain (and particularly an ODI captain) makes me agree with you though.

Marius

International Debutant
I have to say I don't remember Elworthy being in that squad, maybe in the preliminary squad but I doubt the final squad.

Marius

International Debutant
Ackerman and Dawson were on my shortlist, but how many WP guys can you include? I think of Dawson as a better L/O bowler, perhaps unfairly. Both Dawson and Willoughby contributed a lot to Philander's (and Kleinveldt's) growth as a bowler. Poor HD's career was ruined by Muralitheran, but perhaps they were a tad harsh... Sven Koenig was also on my shortlist. Considered Rudi, but his bowling could be all over the shop when he had a bad day. Serious paceman on his day though. Another paceman I think I should have considered was Gary Guilder. Left armer,who just couldn't find a way in, after his Natal teammates Pollock and Klusener (another when-we, although unlike Johnson, didn't try playing for Zim). Ross Veenstra was another good leftie, but never seemed to settle anywhere, and often even struggled to keep his place for Natal (originally from Transvaal though)...
Klusener isn't a when-we, he's from Zululand, and was born in Durban.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The Wisden Cricket Monthly for February 1992 gives a preliminary World Cup squad of 20 for South Africa; apparently Pringle as well as Kirsten wasn't in this squad. Besides the other 12 who played for SA in the World Cup, it included Rudi Bryson, Daryll Cullinan, Ray Jennings, Craig Matthews, Mike Rindel, Brett Schultz, Tim Shaw and Corrie van Zyl.

Bolo

State Captain
Tim Shaw is a guy that should have had more of a career. He was impossible score off in ODIs and probably deserved a crack at the test side too considering the competition.

Marius

International Debutant
The Wisden Cricket Monthly for February 1992 gives a preliminary World Cup squad of 20 for South Africa; apparently Pringle as well as Kirsten wasn't in this squad. Besides the other 12 who played for SA in the World Cup, it included Rudi Bryson, Daryll Cullinan, Ray Jennings, Craig Matthews, Mike Rindel, Brett Schultz, Tim Shaw and Corrie van Zyl.
So no Elworthy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was thinking a couple of weeks ago about how useful Zander de Bruyn could have been to South Africa's side right now if he was born a decade or so later.