• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing words and phrases that we don't understand and don't like

cnerd123

likes this
It's basic division. Runs / wickets = batting or bowling average

What are you calculating by doing it the other way around?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chinaman

I like, need to take a deep breath every time I say it, like the comfort of my emotional-support Platypus is like barely enough for me to stomach looking at the word, like let alone say it. So much UGH, like you know what I mean?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think anyone knows what a proper arm ball actually is anymore.

I hear one SA commentator use that phrase to describe a dismissal off a fast bowler in the second test. Absolutely dire.
That's funny. I don't know why an off spinner's straight one is called "arm ball". I mean, are other balls bowled without an arm? I know it should not piss me as much as it does.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stolen from the venue for today's Sheffield Shield match between NSW and Qld.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Chinaman

I like, need to take a deep breath every time I say it, like the comfort of my emotional-support Platypus is like barely enough for me to stomach looking at the word, like let alone say it. So much UGH, like you know what I mean?
Embrace the casual racism.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Bludgeoned is a fine description.

It is a big hit that sounds bad, hasn't been middled, but has been 'muscled' over the ring to the boundary.

However, this is now physically impossible to do with modern bats and the word, I begrudgingly accept, should now be retired from the commentator's vernacular. A Shane Watson for example pinging a ball over the boundary from high up on a modern bat is not bludgeoning. Let alone use of the word when someone actually middles it.