• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would you rank AB de Villiers among greats of the game?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As talented as anyone to have held a cricket bat. Test numbers don't stack up with some of the other run machines, but I bet he's contributed more than most in the way of crucial knocks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tests- He has played some seriously clutch knocks in tough conditions. Averages high in all conditions where he's played a fair amount of tests. Plays in the SA ATG test XI for mine.

ODI- Undisputed ATG. Makes the world XI now in most pundit's eyes.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he can play a couple more years and get close to that 30 centuries mark, he will go down as an undisputed great.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
de Villiers is a player of ATG innings, rather than being an ATG batsman.

That being said, it speaks a hell of a lot to his talent when you think that 8500 runs at 50 is a bit disappointing tbh

Chrish

International Debutant
Against moving ball, I would back AB and even Root to cross 50 more often than Smith/ Kohli.

Smith would murder others on decent batting track though which is far more common..

Reactions: vcs

vcs

de Villiers is a player of ATG innings, rather than being an ATG batsman.

That being said, it speaks a hell of a lot to his talent when you think that 8500 runs at 50 is a bit disappointing tbh
Pietersen vs. AB would be an interesting debate. I suspect most would go AB purely because of Pietersen's odious personality, and fair enough. But that guy was a hell of a talent as well.

cnerd123

likes this
AB more consistently great than KP

KP had plenty of times where he has looked terrible and out of touch. AB always looks a level above, just lack the kind of ruthlessness that would have sealed his legacy.

vcs

KP arguably played more iconic knocks against great attacks though.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think we can get absorbed too much by the average of 50.67 only (consistency?)

Considering he has played most of his cricket in SA that is a damn fine test average.

HOME : 4586 @ 47.28
AWAY : 3977 @ 55.24

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
KPs best innings were typically big hundreds, so they often get remembered. A lot of ABs best innings were lower scoring in more challenging conditions, so they tend to get overlooked.
Yeah agree with this. A KP 227 on an Adelaide Road is not anywhere near being up there with ABDV's 91 against a raging Mitchell Johnson at Centurion.

That's not to say that KP hasn't had incredible innings on tricky surfaces (186 in Mumbai) but ABDV has just done more IMO and you'll have a hard time convincing me that KP is on his level.

OverratedSanity

AB's just a shade below all time level based on career accomplishments by my reckoning but he'll get there if does what he's doing now for another year or two.

Last edited:

vcs

KPs best innings were typically big hundreds, so they often get remembered. A lot of ABs best innings were lower scoring in more challenging conditions, so they tend to get overlooked.
Fair point. KP had a couple of great knocks against McGrath and Warne, AB didn't (before his prime though?). AB did great against Johnson and Harris in 2014, who KP failed against a few months earlier. AB's blockathons in Adelaide, Delhi, SL etc. were very memorable in their own way.