• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confirmed: Rabada banned for two matches

loterry

Cricket Spectator
ICC has just confirmed that Rabada will now miss the next two matches, for his contact with Steve Smith and for the send off for Warner he also accepted a 2nd charge. This is quite a shame for the series really as Rabada has been the best bowler in the series and the game changer last test. Here the article below:

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/643074

As an Aussie myself I'm quite disappointed in the suspension, i wanted to see the best bowling lineups for both sides face each other, and with Rabada now gone it makes the South African's bowling a lot weaker.
Whats everyone's thought on this decision?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad to see this - I can see why suspensions might be justified, but surely this is just going to encourage players to wind each other's key players up for tactical reasons - even on the worst interpretation of Rabada's conduct I would've thought a financial penalty was sufficient

Slifer

International Captain
Well if oz wins we'll all know why. When did cricket become so *****-fied. I mean i didn't even mind the ozzie sledging crap. All u needed was nice nasty fast bowlers to put them in their place. Players cant show passion or express themselves way to speed up the death of test cricket...bs

JRC67

U19 12th Man
He's not really being punished for this offence but what he's done in the past. I'm not sure the contact with Smith was deliberate as both players were walking in opposite directions and did seem oblivious to one another. But he is responsible for acts of stupidity in the past and cricket does need to get on top of some things that have crept in to the game.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Disagree with it. Warner nearly assaults someone in the stairway and gets the same amount of points as kg who only brushed Smith. Doesn't seem right to me...

As for the series all depends on whether Steyn is able to make a comeback or not. If he isn't its a big advantage to Aus.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Cricket is an absolute joke.

I’ve been watching for 14/15 years now and at no point have I ever watched cricket and thought a player needs suspended for celebrating a wicket, or bumping them into a player.

Fine them match fees. But banning the player who just won the match for something less trivial than Warner’s reaction is laughable. Even then what Warner did didn’t deserve anything but a fine.

Racsim, verbal abuse(deemed by umpires to be over the line), genuine physical harm(punching/kicking, cheating. Only things that should warrant a ban

Just further attempts to kill test cricket by the ICC.

loterry

Cricket Spectator
I don’t think they should let Steyn back in early it seems every time they do he just seems to get injured again quickly. I thought this series was 50/50 after the last test, losing Rabada is like Australia losing Starc both have that ability to break the game open as we saw Starc do in the 1st test and Rabada do in the 1st innings of the 2nd test when Australia were looking good.

Morkel most likely going to comeback, but Rabada just has the fire and fear factor about him at the moment which is gonna be hard to replace

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the end of the day, cricket is the loser.

The sport gains nothing if KG turns over a new leaf as a result of this punishment and we've seen a young talented passionate quick get banned for 3 matches thus far.

He's still an absolute idiot mind.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is irrespective of these accumulated demerit points as Warner should have got four times as many demerit points for behaving like an enraged animal, having to be pulled back by about three team mates, compared to Rabada's little transgressions.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm as disappointed with the ban as anyone from a quality of cricket perspective, but other than that I'm actually ok with it except for the fact that there is genuine doubt as to whether his contact with Smith was deliberate (but I believe he'd just had a bit of a shout at Smith anyway?)

But the fact that he did the screaming at Warner thing when he knew full well he'd be under scrutiny was just stupid, so I have minimal sympathy for him to be quite honest.

The accusations of inconsistent application of demerit points are valid imo, but looking at Rabada in isolation I don't think he can really complain massively with his history. Great player with an attitude problem and I look forward immensely to whenever he next plays.

What I have noticed is a lot of comments (not on here) don't necessarily appear to realize that he's been banned due to an accumulation of demerit points and his ban is longer because it's his second in not very long. I'm also not a fan of comments to the effect the ban is somehow more of an injustice because he's so good and had just won the game for his team. I'll say again that it's a massive shame for cricket fans, but I firmly believe that however good you are you're not above the law and you're not bigger than the game.

EDIT: Only just realised it was three demerit points he got for the Smith incident, do actually feel sorry for him now with the doubt surrounding that one

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Disagree with it. Warner nearly assaults someone in the stairway and gets the same amount of points as kg who only brushed Smith. Doesn't seem right to me...

As for the series all depends on whether Steyn is able to make a comeback or not. If he isn't its a big advantage to Aus.
Agreed. BS decision, and to be honest, Smith's exaggerated reaction made it look worse, there was barely any contact. It was turning out to be such a great series, now Australia has a huge advantage, hope it doesn't turn into a boring onesided affair.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
At a time when test cricket is struggling and teams are dealing with a myriad of injuries here we have a young fit passionate and exciting fast bowler playing a critical role in an exciting series. Ok fine, Rabada probably had some bone head moments and demerit points bla bla bla but fine him, don't suspend the guy. If I were Rabada tbh, I'd be like fuk test cricket I'll go ply my trade in ipl. Have you all ever seen any critical player from the so called big 3 teams get a similar ban??? That' s a genuine question, not trying to be facetious. We all know they all aren't choir boys!!!