• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confirmed: Rabada banned for two matches

the big bambino

International Captain
Look mate your making a ****load of assumptions here and they are all wrong. I dont need to justify myself to you but I'm telling you straight out i had a spell from this site because you and a few others were carrying on like ****wits and for the first time since Ive been here i wasnt enjoying the place because of it.

Of course there is far more mileage in it for you to make out I had a sook and left because my team was losing......just ignore the fact that Ive survived 2 whitewashes and the best part of 90s without taking my ball and going home. But hey......don't let then truth stand in the way of a good yarn will you.

Wwwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
Yeah sure bud. I believe you. :dry: Anyway got to go as I can hear the plane ready to take off. Oh hang on that's you just you whinging. I have time. So what did I say about Warner and why is it relevant?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah sure bud. I believe you. :dry: Anyway got to go as I can hear the plane ready to take off. Oh hang on that's you just you whinging. I have time. So what did I say about Warner and why is it relevant?
See this......this is just 8yo level posting.

Spark

Global Moderator

Just fines all round for this incident, FWIW.
As it should be.

The lack of self-awareness by people who think that cricket should copy a discipline system, completely out of context, from far more physical sports in which dangerous foul play has to be limited (David Lloyd, looking at you), in response to this whole saga has been utterly embarrassing IMO. It's already had a huge effect on this series and frankly will make it a far lesser spectacle than it would be otherwise, all over incidents which are objectively minor, and all to satiate their own romanticised nostalgia-driven view of what The Game Should Be, as if the sport is their own personal property.

If you want a deterrent, let the umpires add penalty runs. That Rabada should have known better doesn't change the fact that this outcome is ridiculous.

the big bambino

International Captain
its unfortunate but it isn't ridiculous. They give players several warnings, an opportunity to correct behaviour as they have a reserve off demerit points, and then finally known consequences for continued instances of ill discipline. Couldn't be clearer.

Spark

Global Moderator
its unfortunate but it isn't ridiculous. They give players several warnings, an opportunity to correct behaviour as they have a reserve off demerit points, and then finally known consequences for continued instances of ill discipline. Couldn't be clearer.
I said "That Rabada should have known better" for a reason.

You can make it absolutely obvious to players to the point where they have no real cause to feign ignorance that an unreasonable and disproportionate punishment is applied. That doesn't make the punishment any less unreasonable or disproportionate, or damaging for the game and to this series.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's pretty clear that Rabada broke the rules. But the rules are just rubbish. Completely taking away from what is building up to be a great series

the big bambino

International Captain
It damages the series, no doubt about that, but I disagree its disproportionate, given that the onus is on the player to modify their behaviour and given the opportunity to do so, which it is and he did have. That on top of the sport needing to maintain a broken windows policy on physical contact.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's pretty clear that Rabada broke the rules. But the rules are just rubbish. Completely taking away from what is building up to be a great series
Pretty much. The two things are completely independent to me.

I've been on this drumbeat for ages now, I find this primarily media-driven drive to over-regulate and over-discipline the game deeply toxic.

It damages the series, no doubt about that, but I disagree its disproportionate, given that the onus is on the player to modify their behaviour and given the opportunity to do so, which it is and he did have. That on top of the sport needing to maintain a broken windows policy on physical contact.
Broken windows policies are dumb and bad.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Under the rules and demerit system enforced by the ICC, Rabada should be banned. I have no qualm with that

I just think that such a system ultimately takes away from the game itself. Instead of discussing the quality of cricket on display, we've spent the whole time arguing over sledging and send offs. What a complete waste of time

the big bambino

International Captain
Broken windows policies are dumb and bad.
Disagree. Especially in the case of physical contact in cricket.

Under the rules and demerit system enforced by the ICC, Rabada should be banned. I have no qualm with that

I just think that such a system ultimately takes away from the game itself. Instead of discussing the quality of cricket on display, we've spent the whole time arguing over sledging and send offs. What a complete waste of time
Was really amped for the remaining tests. Rabada not being there has taken the air out of it atm. By the time the next game starts and SA with Morkel and then Steyn I think the anticipation will be high.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not really about Rabada personally, but there's a big difference between a generational talent coming off a match-winning 11-wicket-haul and a bowler is both retiring and was just dropped.

Spark

Global Moderator
Another totally ridiculous example: MMarsh was given a point for saying something after he dismissed. 25% of the way to a ban. For ****ing what? Would anyone who is not a complete clown partisan have remembered anything about that incident an hour later, let alone after the game?

Utterly absurd.

cnerd123

likes this
If we're having a broken windows, no tolerance policy on physical contact then I wonder if Flintoff should have been fined under the current system for this:

It's ridiculous to strip away context, intent, and actual harm caused by said contact. Whoops I bumped into another player. Now I broke the spirit of the game and need to miss Test matches. Ridiculous.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah its not the same. But I was hearing Morkel may be considered for one or both of the remaining test because of ground conditions. (I can't recall the article). Anyway I'm talking myself into it being a contest and really its not an impossible sell. Despite both their ages and Steyn's fitness they still are quality. Still plenty to like about this series.

Spark

Global Moderator
If we're having a broken windows, no tolerance policy on physical contact then I wonder if Flintoff should have been fined under the current system for this:

It's ridiculous to strip away context, intent, and actual harm caused by said contact. Whoops I bumped into another player. Now I broke the spirit of the game and need to miss Test matches. Ridiculous.
It'll cause incredibly tedious scrutiny of incidents where bowler and batsman are ball-watching and run into each other when the batsman takes a run as well. The slightest indication that either player initiated contact or moved line will be dissected to an inch of its life. It'll be a miracle if anyone talks about the ****ing cricket in between.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain

Ok. When you start equating a breach of the code with a handshake I think you can safely say you're done.

cnerd123

likes this
Ok. When you start equating a breach of the code with a handshake I think you can safely say you're done.
You've already started on that slippery slope when you go 'Zero tolerance on physical contact'

What's the difference between a slap and a high five? Is slapping someone on the back assault now? What if you move to stop the ball but the non-striker batsman is in your way and you collide? Did he barge into you now? Did he make cricket physical?