• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confirmed: Rabada banned for two matches

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is going to be fun. Stuff watching my lot in NZ I will glued to this instead and sleeping at proper times. This could be one of the spiciest tests ever.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Whoops! Looks like there was a lot of premature gloating by the Aussies :laugh:. I was wrong too admittedly, as I never thought that the ICC would back down. The glare of worldwide publicity and exposure of their inconsistency and double standards was probably the deciding factor .

cnerd123

likes this
WTF? Common sense is applied, the ICC backs down...this is just not cricket.

What's next, more associates in the World Cup?

SeamUp

International Coach
The problem with the points system is trying to punish people due to their past record and unfortunately it was an easy stick to beat KG with. Whilst he knew the rules at least make judgement on each individual case. We wanted to see Warner play the series and we wanted to see KG play the series.

Moving forward I really have doubts over the demerit points system because of this. Lets judge each case by itself.

Stefan9

International Debutant
There is nothing wrong with a point system if sentences are consistently applied. The issue is with the terrible consistency.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't want it to be consistent at all. Cricketers being banned for a few harmless indiscretions robs everyone of enjoyment.

Bijed

International Regular
The problem with the points system is trying to punish people due to their past record and unfortunately it was an easy stick to beat KG with. Whilst he knew the rules at least make judgement on each individual case. We wanted to see Warner play the series and we wanted to see KG play the series.

Moving forward I really have doubts over the demerit points system because of this. Lets judge each case by itself.
Thing is, now the ICC have decided there's certain behaviour they want to see less of, they can't just judge each case by itself because otherwise they'd essentially be allowing anything other than the most serious transgressions to go without punishment as on a case by case basis you can't really say that most things that occur are deserving of a ban (which I maintain is the best option they have in terms of punishment options). I appreciate that we've seen on here that people's views on how unacceptable or otherwise certain things are varies a lot, which is an issue and I think there's probably some tweaking can be done, on the whole I think as long as you're not being given points for totally trivial things, then it's fair to say that if penalties are awarded correctly you'd have to do quite a few bad things or something particularly bad to cop an ban.

Or do you mean that the original charge was 'inflated' because of his past record? I agree it was unreasonable given what actually happened and if this was deliberately so then yeah, that'd be basically just bad (also there's probably an element of unconscious bias which slips in and you can't really do anything about, but thankfully we've seen that the appeals process can work well).

Spark

Global Moderator
There is nothing wrong with a point system if sentences are consistently applied. The issue is with the terrible consistency.
Consistency is required but not sufficient to be a good system. The actual punishments being applied consistently have to actually make sense and be proportionate as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyway, congrats to the English cricket journos who tried to use the original ridiculous outcome which most people now agree was ridiculous to justify their spurious moral high ground as to how a meaningless ODI series was the height of sportsmanship. Maybe some self-awareness would be in order now, but I'm not holding my breath.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is almost like he is letting off pent up steam.... also very noticeable earlier in spell than later, obviously getting a bit tired at that stage. Do a Fanie stand in the middle of the pitch and scream into the air.

Put simply - Do a Fanie, don't be a Fanie.