• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The TH Cricketer Height Thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Could I get TH’s all time XI with each from 1-11 being taller than the last?
Sunny Gavaskar - 5'4
Sachin Tendulkar - 5'4
Lindsay Hassett - 5'6
Viv Richards - 5'8
Ricky Ponting - 5'8
David Gower - 5'9
Adam Gilchrist - 6'1 *
Keith Miller - 6'1
Wasim Akram - 6'1
Dan Vettori - 6'2
Joel Garner 6'6

thierry henry

International Coach
Kallis is quite clearly over 6 foot, my best guess would be 6'1. I guess that makes him a better no. 6 in my top 7 above than Clive Lloyd.
I remember Kallis' height came up in another thread recently-ish but I can't find my posts to remember what I said at the time. He really does "only" look around 6' though, compared to Steyn (listed 5'11", sometimes less) and Graeme Smith (listed 6'3").

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Sunny Gavaskar - 5'4
Sachin Tendulkar - 5'4
Lindsay Hassett - 5'6
Viv Richards - 5'8
Ricky Ponting - 5'8
David Gower - 5'9
Adam Gilchrist - 6'1 *
Keith Miller - 6'1
Wasim Akram - 6'1
Dan Vettori - 6'2
Joel Garner 6'6
Some questionable stuff here. Vettori is 6'3"-4" range. Garner 6'8". I've heard everything from 6'2"-4" for Akram and I think the higher estimates are generous but I'd say he's over 6'1". Ponting is less than his 5'10" listing but more than 5'8".

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
also stevenzs favourite cricketer circa 2012 or whenever it was (i've been on this forum too long)
Haha, definitely. I think I Steve'd him into a couple of decent performances (ie completely rubbished him whereby he'd score a few runs in the next game) but he was head battler in an era full of them.

thierry henry

International Coach
If you google Van Wyk you get 2 "official" heights- 4 foot tall, and 4'9" :laugh:

These listings seem to have then made there way to a number of different pages about "shortest cricketers ever" etc

It's kinda hard to find a really good comparison pic of him but he's gotta be the shortest NZ cricketer of recent times, maybe 5'4"

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
How tall is Neil Wagner? At a guess I would say about 5'10", but I can't find any official numbers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greg Chappell should be in the OP top six ahead of WG. Pollock to three.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If you google Van Wyk you get 2 "official" heights- 4 foot tall, and 4'9" :laugh:

These listings seem to have then made there way to a number of different pages about "shortest cricketers ever" etc

It's kinda hard to find a really good comparison pic of him but he's gotta be the shortest NZ cricketer of recent times, maybe 5'4"
5'4 is generous, he is genuinely a midget. I'd guess at 5'2.

Can we get Gladstone Small in our under-height side as well, by virtue of name and also absence of neck. Huge, huge fan of Gladstone.

thierry henry

International Coach
How tall is Neil Wagner? At a guess I would say about 5'10", but I can't find any official numbers.
I have seen 5'10" as a listed height before but can't find the reference now. There was an article about him I read once (again cbf finding it) where it commented on the fact that there are varying listed heights around for him (generally 5'10"-5'11ish) and he commented vaguely on it saying he didn't know how tall he was but he certainly wasn't tall.

5'10" seems a good shout.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Some questionable stuff here. Vettori is 6'3"-4" range. Garner 6'8". I've heard everything from 6'2"-4" for Akram and I think the higher estimates are generous but I'd say he's over 6'1". Ponting is less than his 5'10" listing but more than 5'8".
Just went off the first thing that I found on google based on my rough knowledge of taller and shorter players. If anyone wants to get more comprehensive, go for it!

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm not happy with this but-

1. Gavaskar (seems to have been 5'4"ish)
2. Warner (5'7" listing seems accurate. Could go Sachin who I am confident is taller than SG, but not a real opener)
3. Bradman (in his later years he looked maybe 5'4". Listed 5'7" or 5'8". Not really confident he's taller than DW)
4. Ponting (5'9ish)
5. S. Waugh (5'10ish, slightly contentious but photographic evidence tends to show him taller than Ponting)
6. Khan (mixed bag of listings but photos suggest 5'11"ish, max 6')
7. Gilchrist (Not the full 186cm listing but near enough to 6'1")
8. Akram (6'2ish, I'm confident he is taller than Gilchrist)
9. Holding (6'3ish)
10. Ambrose(6'7")
11. Garner (6'8")

Could have possibly come up with better quick bowlers but it was surprisingly hard to get them in a feasible batting order. Garner wouldn't be happy to be #11 but him, Holding and Ambrose were much of a muchness as batsmen so the order is conceivable.

thierry henry

International Coach
I guess if you really wanted a spinner you could have Vettori at 9 but I don't wanna

Bill O'Reilly could slot in at 8 or 9 but (a) it's hard to say whether he was taller or shorter than Akram and (b) he should probably be batting 10 or 11 and isn't tall enough for that

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about picking sobers ahead of Khan and making him bowl spin?

How tall was Barnes?

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
What about picking sobers ahead of Khan and making him bowl spin?
Definitely could. If it wasn't for the spin v pace issue I would much prefer the balance of the team with Khan at 6, but the need for a spinner might swing that, and I think Sobers fits perfectly for height.

smash84

The Tiger King
Shoaib akhtar probably the shortest express bowler. 5 10. Imran was definitely 6ft if not 6 , 1. According to wasim himself he was 6ft 3. Could be lying, but I doubt he'd want to lie on a TV program for something like this.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not happy with this but-

1. Gavaskar (seems to have been 5'4"ish)
2. Warner (5'7" listing seems accurate. Could go Sachin who I am confident is taller than SG, but not a real opener)
3. Bradman (in his later years he looked maybe 5'4". Listed 5'7" or 5'8". Not really confident he's taller than DW)
4. Ponting (5'9ish)
5. S. Waugh (5'10ish, slightly contentious but photographic evidence tends to show him taller than Ponting)
6. Khan (mixed bag of listings but photos suggest 5'11"ish, max 6')
7. Gilchrist (Not the full 186cm listing but near enough to 6'1")
8. Akram (6'2ish, I'm confident he is taller than Gilchrist)
9. Holding (6'3ish)
10. Ambrose(6'7")
11. Garner (6'8")

Could have possibly come up with better quick bowlers but it was surprisingly hard to get them in a feasible batting order. Garner wouldn't be happy to be #11 but him, Holding and Ambrose were much of a muchness as batsmen so the order is conceivable.
I am very pleased with this.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The reverse order height XI is the real challenge though, tall batsman to short bowlers.

Fulton 6'6
Gayle 6'4
Sangakkara 6'1 (did I go to short already?)

Malinga and Fidel Edwards are fairly short but are they good enough?

Last edited: