• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to make the middle of ODI innings more interesting

Leigh_Lancs

Cricket Spectator
I think it's fairly unanimous that overs 15-42ish are pretty boring, with both sides content to score/concede 5 an over. What would you favour for how to get around this problem?

I'd advocate having the 15 over restrictions for the whole innings personally.

Craig

World Traveller
What?!

Having 15 over restrications the whole way through will make 320-350 scores, more and more common and IMo that gets a little boring. I sometime's like when the bowlers actually have a chance.

You might as well swap the bowlers for bowling machines.

Conceding 5 an over for thirty overs gives you 150, and I thought the whole aim of ODI bowling is to keep the runs to a minimum relevant to the conditions.

I find overs 15-45 not boring, if not just as entertaining.

Deja moo

International Captain
Break up the 15 over restrictions into 3 groups of 5 each, allow the fielding captain to decide during the course of the innings, when he wants to apply each 5 over spell of restrictions.

tooextracool

International Coach
orangepitch said:
Break up the 15 over restrictions into 3 groups of 5 each, allow the fielding captain to decide during the course of the innings, when he wants to apply each 5 over spell of restrictions.
interesting idea,although i fear most captains would probably use all 3 in the first 15 anyways

Deja moo

International Captain
Not necessarily. If the batsmen are going hammer and tongs in the beginning, have only 5 fielding-restricted overs....then spread the field....

Later when the fielding captain is more confident that the new batsmen arent great in first 15 over conditions, apply the remaining restriction overs then.

Also creates suspense regarding when the captain will apply the restrictions.....there wont be a lull in the 15-40 over period as usual, and also forces the captain to think.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have heard Ian Botham regularly suggest that after the 15 overs are up..you should only be allowed to send 1 player back to the boundary every 10 overs or so. By that he means...3 players (max) on the boundary at 15 overs..4 at 25, 5 at 35 etc...or whatever way the rules are set.

I can't see it happening while there are still a number of traditionalists around though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
That already happens though...NZ have Cairns at #5, Australia have Symonds at #5, England have Flintoff at #5, India have Ganguly at #5, Pakistan have Inzi at #5 (usually).

I think it needs to be a set of rules, rather than the way a team structures their batting lineup.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, the middle overs are vital. Most teams are clear what they want to do in the first 15 and thel last 10 or so. It is how they handle the middle overs that really decides the how many runs you end up with. Not just because of the runs you score in these overs but because you keep getting 4 plus AND keep wickets in hand for the final onslaught. It can be quite fascinating , this period of play.

Craig

World Traveller
Sehwag309 said:
Get more attacking batsmen to play in the middle overs
Why?

Hitting 6 2's is more effective or just as effective then hitting 3 4's in an over.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see why people consider the middle overs so boring. God forbid that we watch a Test match...

Sehwag309

Banned
Craig said:
Why?

Hitting 6 2's is more effective or just as effective then hitting 3 4's in an over.
I know, he said its boring ,so what is ODI afterall..entertaintment..so get em, match over in 15.1 over

Loony BoB

International Captain
I agree with SJS and Mr Mixyzpitilk (Mxyzptlk - Random letters, I assume?)

Also, sport isn't always purely entertainment, a lot of the time it's talent (heaven forbid!), and you need to allow players who do have the talent for hitting 1's and 2's to be able to show how much better than the rest they really are.

EDIT: In response to Sehwag309, just because ODI's are more entertaining doesn't mean there isn't strategy and talent involved. If we were going for pure entertainment, we'd allow one of the players on the batting side to be running around the field and tackling the people who are trying to catch a guy out. Or something. Which would be really amusing, maybe they should create some alternative game of cricket where that happens. xD

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Although, Liam also has the 12th result for a Google search of Mxyzptlk with his Australia story.

Be proud. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I can't see it happening while there are still a number of traditionalists around though.

If that were true the changes already introduced wouldn't have got past them though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Leigh_Lancs said:
I think it's fairly unanimous that overs 15-42ish are pretty boring, with both sides content to score/concede 5 an over. What would you favour for how to get around this problem?

Give each captain 3 "sniper" shots.

At any point in the middle overs he can take one (involves giving the bowler a gun, sending him back to the sightscreen and taking aim)

Simple, effective and adds the much needed element of blood into the game!

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
i do not consider the overs 15-40 as "boring". these overs are as interesting as the rest of the overs. the present system is just fine. seeing too many 280+ scores regularly makes odi cricket look a bit boring.