• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to make the middle of ODI innings more interesting

Linda

International Vice-Captain
pakster said:
3. Bringing on a duck (or a man dressed like a duck) on to the pitch when a player scores 0, the duck man would then dance around the player who just scored 0. That would be great!!
Oh, please no! :cry: I couldnt handle Pathan..

I was thinking of something to do with a trump player, like they do with catching sixes of them in the ING cup. Except, instead of a bonus for the audience member, there could be some advantage for the bowling team. Dont ask me what, however.

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
anybody who thinks that test matches or the 15-40 overs in a one-day game are boring, cannot be called a cricket fan.

in one-dayers, its time bowlers are given a fair go. i being a bowler myself, know how the bowlers feel like after getting thrashed. unlike earlier days, when bowlers returned with figures like 1/30, now a 1/50 is considered a good figure. bowlers now just play merely for the sake of playing and their role has been minimised. if that is the case, then why not play 11 regular batsman and make cricket a complete slam-boom-bang affair with 400-500 runs in 50 over matches ?

bowlers, do need to be given a some go. gone were the days when 240 was a match winning total, now 300 isnt a match winning one. recently, in a domestic OD match in pakistan(who claim to have the best bowling attack), a team chased 392 as well. what is cricket coming to ? if this goes on, 300 could become a small total and 400, a match winning one. out of the 300+ chases, before 1998, only 1 took place and all others have taken place since 1998. although it is good that 2nd innings batting has improved, but at the same time with huge 1st innings totals, bowlers have DIED.

a rule which can be applied is the bowlers get 13 overs maximum and 2 bowlers are able to bowl this much and the remaining bowlers get 12 overs each.

another rule can be to have the new ball in odis after 40 overs as thats the time when the teams ask for a change of ball. the new ball, would give bowlers a chance to pick some wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Although the 13 over rule has merits - cutting it to 4 bowlers just means teams can pick an extra batsman.

I would encourage something like allowing 1 or 2 bowlers 12 overs - add more tactics into the game.

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Except Bradman's career has evidence, the bias claim against Bucknor does not.
The claim against Bucknor has evidence to one who will remove the tinted glasses.

First it was the last dayn of the Sydney test...3 lbw's were turned down.

then it was the pakistan tour.

anzac

International Debutant
bhooth nath said:
anybody who thinks that test matches or the 15-40 overs in a one-day game are boring, cannot be called a cricket fan.

another rule can be to have the new ball in odis after 40 overs as thats the time when the teams ask for a change of ball. the new ball, would give bowlers a chance to pick some wickets.
1 - agreed.........

2 - my only concern is that this could remove a few bowling attributes for the slower & swing bowlers - unless they design the ball to have a shorter life to allow it to go 'off' b4 they take the new one...........still get the best of both worlds so to speak...........

IMO the most immediate / simple change they could make would be to lift the fielding restrictions after 10 overs.................

incidentally ODIs used to be longer - 60 overs in the early WCs????? - what were the allowable parameters then re bowling overs, field restrictions etc, and why did they change to the current format?????

:)

biased indian

International Coach
give the captian the choice of using the 15 overs with field restriction say 3 overs each at any point of time like from 3 to 6 overs then from 13to 15 and like that in 5 sets

biased indian

International Coach
anzac said:
incidentally ODIs used to be longer - 60 overs in the early WCs????? - what were the allowable parameters then re bowling overs, field restrictions etc, and why did they change to the current format?????
:)
because sub continent have less day time
and ICC wanted uniformity in the game so they decided on 50 overs

twctopcat

International Regular
Tony Blade said:
..Allow the fielding team to 'tamper' with the ball for a few minutes after every 10 overs. :D
Great idea, that would hopefully put an end to all this run a ball nonsense.