• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Contributing four players to the latest New Zealand U19 squad suggests I should really start overseeing an earnest little ****er of a thread like this. That lengthy period of adopting an 'everything's a big self-sabotaging, self-parodying joke' mentality with Wellington is potentially over.

All the stuff that I occasionally refrain from posting in the NZ domestic thread (due to it being of localised and niche interest), I'll post in here.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The current Wellington club cricket batting and bowling leaderboards (encompassing one-dayers and two-dayers) -

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I should do this for NSW. But I also should have done this for Zimbabwe for several years and haven't, so there's that. Maybe Brockley should do this for NSW. :p

More on topic: I didn't know Peter Connell was back/still playing NZ club cricket. Looks like he did well too.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Current scorecard from the T20 final, taking place at the Basin Reserve right now. You'll see Lance Dry, if you can get there.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Is Hamish Bennett still alive?

Sad to see the mighty Taita not featuring at the Basin in the final this year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
CW needs more threads dedicated to cricket that no one would care about if not for said thread.
Sounds weird but I actually totally agree. You copped a lot of **** for the amount of posts you made in the Blitz thread, and I copped some **** for stickying it too, but it looks such it brought a potentially awesome asset (Cutler) to the forum.

"If you build it, they will come", as they say.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe if we could be arsed to post enough **** in the IPL threads, Lalit Modi or Srinivasan or someone might sign up

cnerd123

likes this
Not to mention its great when people who are bored and free are browsing the forum, stumble in, and suddenly find themselves watch/following a game they would never have even heard of otherwise.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Btw, what is a 2-dayer?
Club cricket equivalent of a test. First innings used to be restricted to 55 overs when I played, not sure if that’s still the case (I was a few grades down also).
Yeah, it varies by country/region/association. When I played in Sydney there definitely weren't over restrictions -- there were just two types of "winning". To just win normally you had to get a first innings lead in a game that was drawn on the second innings (or quite commonly that the captains agreed to not bother having a second innings for), or to win "outright" you'd have to win across two innings in two days. Different amounts of points were available depending on the type of win. Where I played you could theoretically just bat for two days and that'd be a draw, but different associations have different rules, ranging from basically playing an OD game on the first day to merely only allowing a team to bat for one whole day.

They tend to either be played over two consecutive Saturdays or across a weekend.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah. So it's a bit like Max cricket stretched out over 2 days with more overs per innings.

Sounds good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah. So it's a bit like Max cricket stretched out over 2 days with more overs per innings.

Sounds good.
It really depends. When I played it was more or less just Test/FC rules on a dodgy pitch over two days, and you got league points for a first innings lead. Lots of variants have some sort of limited overs component though.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It really depends. When I played it was more or less just Test/FC rules on a dodgy pitch over two days, and you got league points for a first innings lead. Lots of variants have some sort of limited overs component though.
Yeah the uncovered green af pitches tend to lead to pretty fast innings a lot of the time! If the lines weren’t painted on you’d have difficulty finding most of the blocks I played on.