• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have to go back twenty years to find a season as ineffective as this one's been for Dry. Needs wetter weather for the skiddy lbws, no doubt.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Did they really name their team after a company called El Cheapo Cars?
They only get a nice high-end local sponsor like that because they're the long-established glamour club. Most Wellington club cricketers have to settle for vehicles far rougher than El Cheapo's.

Here's 2010 Lance Dry to elaborate on their success, and his success....

Dry puzzled why he can't get a shot at home | Stuff.co.nz

The most successful Wellington club cricketer of modern times has hit out at the Firebirds selectors on the eve of their first Twenty20 match of the season.

Lance Dry has taken 502 Pearce Cup wickets, as well as guiding his Eastern Suburbs club to the last nine titles and believes he should be in the team that will play Otago at the Basin Reserve today.

"I was hoping for a chance in the Twenty20 trial [on Tuesday]," 34-year-old Dry said yesterday.

"Seriously. I mean dead serious. [I've got] the best RPO, best average and most wickets in club Twenty20 so far this season and can't get a trial. Honestly, I'd play tomorrow if they picked me today."

The leg spinner played five first-class matches for Wellington in the 1990s and hasn't been sighted since, despite having been a Firebirds selector in recent years.

"It was never on to pick yourself," he said.

"But I've never not been available for Wellington and I'd actually like to [play for them]. Whether everyone who does now likes to, I don't know.

"I would actually like to play for Wellington because it's Wellington, rather than because it's first-class cricket. I'm a Wellingtonian and I want to play for Wellington, which is a bit unusual.

"It would actually be nice to see more Wellingtonians in the Wellington team."

Suffice to say that Dry was not impressed when Wellington brought Victorian Jayde Herrick in for the most recent Plunket Shield match.

"I would describe that as a little farcical, probably. Definitely disappointing for club guys."

But with the number of selectors having swelled to five, the muddled thinking doesn't surprise him.

"I guess it's on a par with the Black Caps having 14 guys playing cricket on the tour of India and 13 support staff. A little unnecessary."

Many will remember that Dry and his club pulled a similar stunt to the Herrick one, last season, when New South Welshman Steven Spoljaric was brought in to bolster their squad ahead of the Pearce Cup final.

"Yeah, but we got an Aussie in to replace an overseas player who had gone home injured. Wellington got him [Herrick] in to replace no-one."

An unrepentant Dry said he still believes Cricket Wellington's handling of the Spoljaric affair was cowardly, making their eventual win over Karori all the more satisfying.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Cricket Wellington thread.. I'd better stay away otherwise I'll be relentlessly ranting and derail the thread 8-) Better I'm a mute spectator.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Mildly annoying news for the future of Wellington cricket in this latest Pearce Cup round, with veterans Ben Orton, Deepak Joon and bowling all-rounder Jamie Gibson remaining dominant in the batting contributions. The only recent NZ U19 bats to do something being Callum McLachlan with 74, also Arana Noema-Barnett (really a Central Districts product) with 85.

Sad to report Ravindra's SLA was part of an attack that conceded a quickfire 50 to the Dominion Post's junior cricket writer, Ben Strang. I had wanted Sears to clean him up with new ball too, but he got him later on as a consolation wicket, instead.

So yeah, a chance missed for Strang to be visually impressed by the more youthful non-Joon Hutt Districts players, and then putting that in print when 2018/19 Firebirds contracts time rolls around. The last thing we'd want is to see him hedging his bets and remaining a centrist between the two parties, re: more strops from the youth about stubborn crusty old barnacles denying them their chance to stay local and go pro.

Black Caps speedster Lockie Ferguson bowls six balls at Stuff reporter Ben Strang

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Might put up a bit of Jakob Bhula vs. Jack Brooks tomorrow, although fair to say Brooks wasn't exactly flayed to the fence in that contest, by the looks.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting a bit frustrated and pissy out there, Sears. Getting very expensive against these 2nd XIs in both T20 and red ball cricket, yet still, the broad outline of what we'd want from a new kind of Wellington-bred cricketer is there. Very brashly apparent to everyone he's steaming in at.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Match report vs. Andhra Cricket

We've played first of the one-day games vs Andhra. Andhra won the toss and decided to bowl on a fresh wicket. It was the right decision as the ball moved all over the place and had us in trouble early with Raki and Jimmy back early in the inning.

Rachin and Lauchie fought hard on the pitch. Lauchie was unlucky to be ruled out as the ball brushed the pads on its way to the keeper. Rachin and Lauchie put together 37 runs partnership for the 3rd wicket. Rachin kept the strike ticking over with Jesse giving a great hand. Rachin and Jesse dug us out of trouble with a 88 runs partnership for the 4th wicket before Rachin was ruled LBW while paddling the ball.

Enter Troy and the game turned on its head. It was not all that easy for Troy, At one point in time he had 2 runs against his name after facing 22 balls. Once he decided he wanted to go at it, he did that amazingly mixing brutal hitting with deft paddles to spinners and seamers.

Thanks to Rachin 62(86), Jesse 68(98) and Troy 62(53) we posted a very good score on the board 260/8 after 50 overs.

Andhra's bowling particularly the seamers bowled great areas and moved the ball prodigiously early in the inning.

With bowling we had the Andhra team on the ropes with good breakthroughs frequently. We had them at some point in time 88 for 6 after 21 overs. That said the Andhra team continue to fight and put a massive partnership for the 8th wicket of 72 runs. Even then we had massive upper hand. When their 9th wicket fell for 211 after 45.2 overs it was as good as the game was over. But their no.11 had other ideas and put our attack to sword. They needed 31 off 3 overs with one wicket in hand but the 47th over they took 21 off it followed by 8 more in the next over.

The last over was outstanding as well, they pushed one to mid on and ran a risky single. Troy took a shy at the non-striker and the ball missed the stumps unfortunately for us. That sealed the game for them. Overall an amazing game and the way Andhra turned the game around even when they were looking down the barrel is something we can learn from. They never ever gave up the chase.

Felix has continued his excellent form with the ball picking up 2 for 22 off 10. Luke although went for runs in his last but one over did well overall picking up 4 for 51. We could have gone with other bowlers that are good at the death but this tour is about providing different challenges to all the players. Keeping that in mind we are achieving our objectives during the off-season.

The scorecard of the exhilarating game is at https://www.crichq.com/matches/657119/2nd_innings

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I rate/want Ravindra to have more going for him as a left-arm spinner than Felix Murray over the coming years, we'll note that resting Felix on Saturday didn't pay off for the Hawks.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Back to a pretty good showing today, albeit another highly annoying loss, only five down in the chase.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Good from NZA to blood him in the UAE, I'd say. There's a limit to what Pakistan A can do to exploit that weakness you see at 0:08 on an Abu Dhabi pitch.