• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a great batting effort today by Hutt District, but interesting to see Lellman is now in Wellington club cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
McLachlan set for a third straight ton in the second division. He must be catching a morning flight to his Wellington A three-dayer in Christchurch, starting tomorrow. One less motel night to pay.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Felix Murray is also in town and has been in that Hutt District team in recent rounds. A 6/33 off 17 against Onslow today.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
HDCC is like RCB of IPL. Sign up so many players that don't necessarily play the season.

Jimmy Neesham, Ben Sears, Rachin Ravindra, Iain McPeake, Troy Johnson, Brett Johnson - Firebirds

Felix Murray - Central Districts

Jesse Tashkoff, Fraser Lellman - NZ Under 19s

That is too good a line up for a club side. That said 4 players from above are generally not available. Soon that list will grow to likely 6 or 7.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Presumably, Lellman must be studying in Wellington? Maybe Vic Uni can entice Thorn Parkes to head north.

Last edited:

nzfan

Presumably, Lellman must be studying in Wellington?
Yeah and will most likely play for ND. Don't think he will want to play for Firebirds as the lad is from Tauranga.

Felix I reckon is going to end up playing for Firebirds. Besides Younghusband and Ravindra we don't have as many spinners in club cricket. Murray works here in Wellington so doesn't make sense to play for CD. He barely got few games for CD, he didn't do all that wrong but they wound't play him for some reason. He's better off playing for Firebirds.

Immenso

Yeah and will most likely play for ND. Don't think he will want to play for Firebirds as the lad is from Tauranga.

Felix I reckon is going to end up playing for Firebirds. Besides Younghusband and Ravindra we don't have as many spinners in club cricket. Murray works here in Wellington so doesn't make sense to play for CD. He barely got few games for CD, he didn't do all that wrong but they wound't play him for some reason. He's better off playing for Firebirds.
The 'some reason' is probably Ajaz Patel.

So, is he still available for CD if he isn't playing club cricket in the region? I don't think he is.
Schmulian playing as CD spinner/Allrounder this round in Patel's absence.

Edit: I see he is still playing for CD A as of last month.
When has he moved to Wellington club cricket?

Last edited:

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I guess that's the thing about CD, the guys will already be used to travelling well over the country so I doubt it really matters where they are, they'll be used to it anyway.

Immenso

I guess that's the thing about CD, the guys will already be used to travelling well over the country so I doubt it really matters where they are, they'll be used to it anyway.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the player. I'm asking in trying to gauge the integrity of the competition.

Fully understand 15 or 16 contracted players, of which one or two might be moving from their permanent home and needing to play a tiny bit of token club cricket before the domestic season starts.

But I'd be totally uncool with a player being picked for an association if he no longer plays cricket within that association. The competition has to retain meaning and context.

Anyway, in the post-Jeets world Wellington should be welcoming Murray with open arms. Has as much/more chance of making the Wellington team than CD for whom Ajaz would still block him for 75% of the season.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I feel like for a young guy at university it seems fine - he's grown up playing in Nelson and through the CD age groups. If a guy has been toiling away in club cricket for years, and then is picked by another association it seems less ok.

nzfan

Felix Murray, born and brought up in Nelson. Played all his cricket in Nelson, then for CD obviously. Did his uni in Palmie (again a CD minor association) and now working in Wellington. He can't necessarily drive to Palmie or fly to Nelson every Friday to play club cricket if he's not playing for CD can he? That'll be some commitment to play for CD. Instead play for a local club in Wellington and opt to play for Firebirds if chosen. He's made the right choice.

Immenso

Felix Murray, born and brought up in Nelson. Played all his cricket in Nelson, then for CD obviously. Did his uni in Palmie (again a CD minor association) and now working in Wellington. He can't necessarily drive to Palmie or fly to Nelson every Friday to play club cricket if he's not playing for CD can he? That'll be some commitment to play for CD. Instead play for a local club in Wellington and opt to play for Firebirds if chosen. He's made the right choice.
100% agree.

So, he's only just transferred to Wellington club cricket? Mid season?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, hasn't been on HDCC scorecards for long. Maybe one more weekend than Lellman.

He can't necessarily drive to Palmie or fly to Nelson every Friday to play club cricket if he's not playing for CD can he? That'll be some commitment to play for CD
Playing in Kapiti is a way for those who work in Wellington to do it. Sinclair, Andrew Lamb, Ryan McCone, one or two others.

Last edited: