• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

TimCutler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On a scale of 1 to 10 how annoyed were you at this moment?
I was livid at the team owners(' partners / families) - knowing how hard it had been for us to keep the ICC ACU guys happy etc - to be leading the charge onto the field. In the end it looked great and what not on the stream - and I cooled down pretty quickly... So using the word annoyed - was close to a 10 (rather than angry) but, yeah, it probably added to the spectacle, in what ended up a pretty limp ending when the chase died.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably the wrong thread but anyways - What's your take on some of the best ways to increase local participation?

Here in Singapore we struggle to get the Chinese and Malay kids playing the game, even if Singapore born 2nd generation expat Indians are at least ensuring we have a good supply of SG citizens playing the game.

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite an impressive win by the Afghani's over the Windies in a warm up today.

Netherlands beat Hong Kong
Nepal beat UAE
Scotland beat PNG

brockley

International Captain
Hey Tim welcome to the forum.:)
You still in Hong Kong?
Saw your twitter about Germany 1 to watch,they could do an Oman or Afghanistan.

TimCutler

Probably the wrong thread but anyways - What's your take on some of the best ways to increase local participation?

Here in Singapore we struggle to get the Chinese and Malay kids playing the game, even if Singapore born 2nd generation expat Indians are at least ensuring we have a good supply of SG citizens playing the game.
Gee, that's a tough one with so many variables - government engagement / acknowledgement is such a big step in the process - whilst maintaining push/pull with kids/parents/teaches etc. In short, I think it's all about (off the top of my head):

* Buy-in: Community leaders/ teachers / parents / elders need to be spoken to early in the process about the programmes, the sport's reach, expected learnings etc - so when the kids go home asking to do it, half the job's done (easier said than done but this is key)
* Accessibility: the school / community group needs to have regular access to consistent programmes - be they run by coaches or volunteers
* Simplicity: nothing starts with a forward defensive shot - look at what CA are doing with their modified in2cricket alongside what Brazil are doing with their programmes - they are designed to be simple, fun - and about learning the basics of the game (and team work). In essence kids should not be actually playing full games until they are fully engaged and the match itself is a natural step from where the programme has progressed from.
* Build local heroes: even if this means within the small group who are learning, in Brazil (can you tell it's a fave of mine) the leaders who emerge from the group become "black shirts" and become quasi-coaches / community advocates themselves - and what does this cost? Introduce the national players and high performing domestic stars... show the kids *and the players) there's recognition of your performance / you're valued
* Language skills - need to get this right - sometimes, it will all need to be in a local language by necessity, but don't down play the power of the game to also teach English, especially where you're working in a developing country where it is a key for future success in life to be competent in it.
* Commercial value - inevitably you need to be able to pay for this. Most large companies will have a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) budget and this is your target. Get your outcomes / strategy clear and get into see ever multi-national and/or local int'l success story you can to find to partner/s with. THe other option is to approach government / or foreign offices such as the Aussie consulate who also have funding for a CSR cause that have a connection to that country.

Hope this all makes sense - not much sleep! As I said it's really off the top of my head so feel free to ask / point out changes / things I've missed.

TimCutler

Hey Tim welcome to the forum.:)
You still in Hong Kong?
Saw your twitter about Germany 1 to watch,they could do an Oman or Afghanistan.
Thanks mate! Yeah still here - but that "may" be changing soon.

Germany is a great story - so much potential there. The only issue is being able to control the craze that is cricket amongst Germany's newest communities! A genuine candidate for exceptional funding form ICC - and deeper partnerships with German government around support (facilities / funding / leagues etc). Look up "German Cricket TV" on Facebook. Run by a successful Aussie trader who lives there now - over a million followers and growing! THey will be bigger than Oman no question in my view, with clear parallels to Afghanistan's success, considering the majority of the community!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WI lost before Rashid even got the ball. A couple of their guys have picked the PSL over the Qualifiers.

Meanwhile Holder thinks it's "About time we win a World Cup"

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think WI will be hoping that this form doesn't carry into the real matches.

Bowled out for 115 by the UAE. Good grief.

TimCutler

I think WI will be hoping that this form doesn't carry into the real matches.

Bowled out for 115 by the UAE. Good grief.
And now 19/1. The leggie looks good from what I've seen. He only became eligible in 2016. This is also around the time UAE started clawing back from the abyss.

SeamUp

International Coach
These qualifiers have the making of a surprise or 2 ? Especially with the weather being a potential issue.