• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel to retire from international cricket after Australia series

Bolo

State Captain
It's not meaningful, but I'm pleased to see him finish with a sub 28 average. 28 is my cutoff line for very good without looking at the player

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't watched the videos but I'm assuming they detail all the insane nights in he had on tour.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
"if you cut off the bad bits then a player's record looks better"
My point is that you can't just look at raw averages of 2 players when one has a significantly higher number of wickets and wonder why the guy with 500+ wickets is more lauded.

The same argument applies for Steyn vs Philander. Minimal difference in average but Steyn has literally double Philander's wickets.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, wrong time to be doing this. Excellent bowler when on song, often an unsung hero.

To go back to the cherry picking though, I don't pay as much attention as I used to but he must've had a pretty decent last few years in Tests. Seem to remember Morel being a perennially 30-31 averaging bowler, almost like a South African Flintoff.

Daemon

Yep he was flirting with the 30s until about 4 years ago and really seemed to break away when he was leading the attack here and there

SeamUp

International Coach
Anyway, wrong time to be doing this. Excellent bowler when on song, often an unsung hero.

To go back to the cherry picking though, I don't pay as much attention as I used to but he must've had a pretty decent last few years in Tests. Seem to remember Morel being a perennially 30-31 averaging bowler, almost like a South African Flintoff.
His last 5 series alone he took 56 wickets at 20.

Talk about going out on a high.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuine question, was he ever involved in anything controversial? Possibly the nicest bloke I've seen on a cricket field (Internationally)

srbhkshk

International Captain
The same argument applies for Steyn vs Philander. Minimal difference in average but Steyn has literally double Philander's wickets.
great bowler as Philander is, think Steyn has a lot more going for him than only the extra wickets.

Pointless comparing Anderson and Morkel anyway, two very different bowlers with very different roles.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Morne's been sensational over the last 18 months. As superb as Rabada and Philander are, Morkel's been really leading the attack in that time in terms of consistency of results and it's sad to see him go at such a young age.

Burgey

Had a fine career. Well done him.

Peter Dutton fast-tracking his residency stays aws.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming he plays for WA/Perth they're going to have an even more insane bowling attack than usual.

Burgey

Also, I’ll long remember his spell to Clarke when he broke his collar bone. That was just quality fast bowling and test cricket.