• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Home advantage in Cricket..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Do you think cricket is the sport where the venue and climate can have most impact on the outcome of the match, out of any sport??

I guess the conditions and venue of a Formula 1 race has a strong bearing on the result, with guys like Schumacher being great in the wet.. But I dont think this adds up to the advantage a team of subcontinental cricketers get over their rivals when playing at home...

Never have I seen another sport where a team can look invincible in home conditions and amateur in different conditions.. just my two cents, but it makes for interesting viewing, and I dont know of any other sport that has the success of whole seasons resting on the weather...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
One of the many factors that makes cricket the greatest sport in the world :)

But when the outcome is being decided by the weather, rather than the merits of the players, is that a good thing?

krkode

State Captain
Langeveldt said:
But when the outcome is being decided by the weather, rather than the merits of the players, is that a good thing?
I have a feeling he was being sarcastic...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I dont think he was :)

Neil?
I was being deadly serious!

It's how there are so many different variables in one game. Different players have different merits that suit different conditions.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Some Stats To Think About (since 1990)

England have won 35.29 of Tests at home and 25.64% of Tests away.
Australia - home 64.20% away 51.32%
Bangladesh - home 0.00% away 0.00%
India - home 53.19% away 13.64%
New Zealand - home 30.51% away 16.07%
Pakistan - home 43.14% away 43.94%
South Africa - home 59.32% away 36.84%
Sri Lanka - home 38.98% away 15.69%
West Indies - home 39.71% away 22.06%
Zimbabwe - home 15.79% away 5.71%

Clearly there is such a thing as home advantage, but it is surprising that such a phonomenon affects India most while it does not seem to effect their neighbours Pakistan. Possibly there is more than climate involved in home advantage, things such as home support and being bad travellers could play a part.

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Pakistanis are infamous for their home record...though away has been decent... Sri Lanka howver have a similar record to India's :Sri Lanka - home 38.98% away 15.69%....Maybe Pakistan is the odd one out then..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tony Blade said:
Pakistanis are infamous for their home record...though away has been decent... Sri Lanka howver have a similar record to India's :Sri Lanka - home 38.98% away 15.69%....Maybe Pakistan is the odd one out then..
Yes, because their attack is much more pace based than the other 2 (who between them possess about 1 decent pace bowler), so playing away from home is better for them.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Do you think cricket is the sport where the venue and climate can have most impact on the outcome of the match, out of any sport??
Nope. Maybe it's true of team sports, but I would have to say that the outcome of most golf tournaments is even more dependent on conditions than most cricket matches. Not that I have anything much to say in favour of golf, which even at its best only matches the existential excitement of a Chris Tavare Test innings, but you'd have to say that it is played in an even more challenging range of conditions than cricket is. And the choice of venue is even more crucial - at least cricket fields would all be represented pretty similarly on relief maps, which cannot be said about the rolling hills of a challenging links course.

I was just thinking about my various objections to golf as a spectator sport, and found myself thinking about ski racing, whether downhill or slalom, and came to the conclusion that that also is a sport where the conditions matter a hell of a lot, and may even have more influence on the result than in cricket.

But I can't think of another team sport which is as dependent on conditions as cricket.

However, that may be a superficial analysis.

A work colleague was a Premiership referee until they went fulltime professional, and he had some interesting things to say about home advantage which were certainly not apparent to me as a relative football-hater. Soccer's rules about pitch dimensions only really specify that the pitch must be longer than it is wide - and there are clubs which will mark a narrow pitch when their opponents base their play on going wide and crossing and have a wide pitch when their opponents like to play down the middle so that they can outflank them or at least spread them out and make the short passing game difficult. And the length of the grass on a football pitch makes a lot more difference to styles of play than you might think.

That's not to say that football is as variable as cricket - I merely offer it as evidence that we self-satisfied cricket fans who know that we follow the finest sport there is don't necessarily appreciate the complexities at the top levels of other games.

But there was something he said which I found very relevant to cricket. They've had "neutral" referees in football for decades, almost centuries - certainly longer than in cricket, where we can see the fading photographs of teams only 90-100 years ago who had their own travelling umpire. And there had been analysis done which showed that there was something like a 10% bias in favour of the home team on marginal refereeing decisions, and none of the whistle-carriers could explain it in terms of their own thought processes, and my colleague was of the opinion that however much they tried to shut out the crowd, in reality they could not avoid being pushed by them, at least at a subliminal level.

I remember Mike Gatting complaining after a one-day Final, I think against Essex, that it had felt like playing away - and this was Lord's, where Middx play their home matches. To what extent, I wonder, were the Barmy Army responsible for the rather pathetic show some of the Windian batsmen put up in the Test series just gone?

So I don't think that " the conditions" are restricted to the weather and the nature of the grass on the field of play.

Cheers,

Mike

Leigh_Lancs

Cricket Spectator
A few of the English players said that playing in front of so many Brits made it like a home series, so in that respect it muct make a difference.

In broader terms home advantage counts more in England and the subcontinent and possibly New Zealand because their is a greater deviance from ordinary standard wickets. That said, it hasn't done England much good in about the last 18 years although things are looking up... :eek:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Leigh_Lancs said:
A few of the English players said that playing in front of so many Brits made it like a home series, so in that respect it muct make a difference.

In broader terms home advantage counts more in England and the subcontinent and possibly New Zealand because their is a greater deviance from ordinary standard wickets. That said, it hasn't done England much good in about the last 18 years although things are looking up... :eek:
Welcome to the boards dude.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

QUOTE]

Well tennis is another sport where the type of surface can make a huge diffeence, perhaps much more than cricket. One has to just look at some of the French Open Champs and some Wimbledon champs to see how so many players can shine only at one of the two surfaces.

So I would say , the advantage a home team enjoys in deciding the surface in Davis Cup matches is , at times, huge. India's record at home in Davis Cup even with mediocre ranking players as far as singles rankings are concerned is a case in point. I know India has won some very important ties on non-grass surfaces but these have been relatively rare.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
Soccer's rules about pitch dimensions only really specify that the pitch must be longer than it is wide - and there are clubs which will mark a narrow pitch when their opponents base their play on going wide and crossing and have a wide pitch when their opponents like to play down the middle so that they can outflank them or at least spread them out and make the short passing game difficult.

I thought they had to name the size at the start of the season and stick to it?

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I guess the conditions and venue of a Formula 1 race has a strong bearing on the result, with guys like Schumacher being great in the wet..
schumacher just has the best car in f-1,one that never breaks down and has an amazing pit crew. if i drove his ferrari i too would be one of the contenders for the world championship.
i know this is a cricketing forum! :dry:

Loony BoB

International Captain
I watch F1GP all the time, and I'm pretty confident that Schuey's home/away stats would be pretty even percentage-wise. xD I've often seen cars blow up on their home turf, or drivers just not performing.

With cricket, it makes a huge difference where you play, and it only makes sense for a player to perform better at home if he's being picked on the form that he displays in the domestic season.

PY

International Coach
badgerhair said:
And the length of the grass on a football pitch makes a lot more difference to styles of play than you might think.
I seem to remember that during the 80s (?) Watford used to have a couple of rather quick forwards (complete guess : Luther Blissett??) and John Barnes was in full flow too.

They used to have the grass in the corners a lot longer than the rest of the pitch and then the midfielders and defenders could hump the ball into the corners of the pitch and it would hold up in the longer grass and then these quicker players could just run onto it and have the defence turned and facing backwards.

This is a prime example that I can remember of home advantage with respect to pitch conditions.