• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Home advantage in Cricket..

chicane

State Captain
tooextracool said:
schumacher just has the best car in f-1,one that never breaks down and has an amazing pit crew. if i drove his ferrari i too would be one of the contenders for the world championship.
i know this is a cricketing forum! :dry:
and surely if you played cricket you would be better than tendulkar....... 8-) Funny how you think everyone's overrated.

anzac

International Debutant
Leigh_Lancs said:
In broader terms home advantage counts more in England and the subcontinent and possibly New Zealand because their is a greater deviance from ordinary standard wickets. That said, it hasn't done England much good in about the last 18 years although things are looking up... :eek:

close to being right on the money...............

some teams like IND & SRL stand out because their game has been built primarily around a spin biased attack, whereas the other teams are seam attack biased - the WI '80s team did not include a regular primary spin bowler!!!

Home advantage may only be relevant to the opposition you are playing in so much as what their domestic pitches & weather is like.........the closer the conditions, the less an advantage & then you need to consider local support v traveling fans.........

:cool:

Craig

World Traveller
a massive zebra said:
Some Stats To Think About (since 1990)

England have won 35.29 of Tests at home and 25.64% of Tests away.
Australia - home 64.20% away 51.32%
Bangladesh - home 0.00% away 0.00%
India - home 53.19% away 13.64%
New Zealand - home 30.51% away 16.07%
Pakistan - home 43.14% away 43.94%
South Africa - home 59.32% away 36.84%
Sri Lanka - home 38.98% away 15.69%
West Indies - home 39.71% away 22.06%
Zimbabwe - home 15.79% away 5.71%

Clearly there is such a thing as home advantage, but it is surprising that such a phonomenon affects India most while it does not seem to effect their neighbours Pakistan. Possibly there is more than climate involved in home advantage, things such as home support and being bad travellers could play a part.
So if you want to best Australia, in your own backyard is you best chance by that list.

Craig

World Traveller
Loony BoB said:
I watch F1GP all the time, and I'm pretty confident that Schuey's home/away stats would be pretty even percentage-wise. xD I've often seen cars blow up on their home turf, or drivers just not performing.
Does the home/away arguement in F1 actually has any relevance because F1 isnt exactly a home and away sport?

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:
I seem to remember that during the 80s (?) Watford used to have a couple of rather quick forwards (complete guess : Luther Blissett??) and John Barnes was in full flow too.
Then Blissett gave up the easy life with Watford, went to Italy and got named the worst Serie A import of all time.

Ian Rush wasnt excatly a hit with Juventus either.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Craig said:
Does the home/away arguement in F1 actually has any relevance because F1 isnt exactly a home and away sport?
That's my point - I was responding to an earlier post (the one above). =)

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I reckon we are losing some of the really big aspects of home ground advantage in cricket as curators are now under pressure to produce a wicket that will provide five days of TV entertainment rather than a three day home side win (Jim Laker must be turning in his grave). This gets right up my nose, because like Neil, I love the fact that cricket is heavily influenced by varying playing conditions. They make for a wider test of players' abilities.

Home ground advantage in football can be vastly underestimated. I was in a 50 person Rugby League tipping competition a few years ago which was won by a guy who tipped home teams in every game every week.

anzac

International Debutant
bennyr said:
I reckon we are losing some of the really big aspects of home ground advantage in cricket as curators are now under pressure to produce a wicket that will provide five days of TV entertainment rather than a three day home side win (Jim Laker must be turning in his grave). This gets right up my nose, because like Neil, I love the fact that cricket is heavily influenced by varying playing conditions. They make for a wider test of players' abilities.
agreed re the current state of flat tracks - we've discussed this b4, but I don't agree with 3 day minefields either..........

I would like to see some more variation in conditions in various countries other than the current sub-continent v the rest scenario...........as well as more variation over 5 days...........

just a thought but a return to more 'traditional' 5 day pitches could help to blunt the AUS 'menace' & slow their 'advance the game' strategy...............

:cool: