• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor vs Hashim Amla?

Niall

International Coach
The idea of Amla as an all time great in ODI cricket is absurd.

The man has never stepped up in a knock out match not just in the ODI world Cup or an ICC Champions trophy match.

Heck the flat track bully couldn't even contribute a worthwhile knock in any t20 world cup. His performances outside bilateral series is wretched unless you consider smashing associate bowlers all over the place.:laugh:

Taylor isn't perfect , but obviously not as much as a choker as Amla. That innings v Pakistan in 2011 was great, and he showed some fight in 2015 in the later stages.

Hashim Amla in 2015 smacked around medium paced Irish trundlers and failed when it mattered, same as usual. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor's strike rate is pretty average for the modern era though. Even relatively 'proper' batsmen like KW and Root tend to score in the mid-80's, while the modern T20 bats score around 90+. Taylor though has been consistently stuck around 82/83 - which was fine when he started back in 2006, but is a tad slow these days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Admittedly Taylor has a lot of not outs there, but I never held that against Michael Bevan or Dhoni
And you shouldn't. I hate when people justify away someone's average by saying it's because they had a lot of not outs. If anything it means they had more innings' ended when they had their eye in, or that they played more at the end of the innings where you're more likely to throw your wicket away, or guided their team to victory batting second. Which should go as a point in the batsman's favour, not a factor used to diminish their achievements.

Daemon

Not completely true. I averaged 49 at one point two seasons ago but my highest score was 29*. It's very likely that my innings would've been cut short in the 30s but because the game was over my average was protected.

Niall

International Coach
Not completely true. I averaged 49 at one point two seasons ago but my highest score was 29*. It's very likely that my innings would've been cut short in the 30s but because the game was over my average was protected.
Shiv would be proud of you.:ph34r:

Daemon

Nah. I have 3 runs in 3 innings this season. Hit 33 (17) in an interclub friendly and took a sick catch down the legside whilst keeping though so it's all good.

fmd that's 4 entire weekends in the sun for not much isn't it. Cricket is a cruel game.

Niall

International Coach
Nah. I have 3 runs in 3 innings this season. Hit 33 (17) in an interclub friendly and took a sick catch down the legside whilst keeping though so it's all good.

fmd that's 4 entire weekends in the sun for not much isn't it. Cricket is a cruel game.
Have you considered playing cricket for Sri Lanka?:ph34r:

cnerd123

likes this

I've played 7 games this season. All i've done is bowl 14 wicketless overs and batted twice for a total of 25 balls (and 24 runs). Taken just 1 catch too.

Cruel game indeed.

Zinzan

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can Amla play an inning like this? ATG knock from Taylor. Well ahead of Amla.

Amla is nothing more than a statistical delight.

vcs

Those numbers are stacking up very nicely for Taylor now. One more big World Cup would seal him as an ODI great. Both are ODI ATVGs for me.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Calling Amla an ODI ATG is laughworthy. He averages 44 against non minnows and doesn't have many great knocks under his belt. Nothing more than just a very good odi bat.

From current active players, he is behind kohli, AB, Dhoni, Rohit, Taylor and I expect Warner, Guptill, Root and de Kock to surpass him sooner as well.

vcs

It's weird how both Amla and QdK's bad runs have almost exactly coincided with WCs and Champions Trophies. Both are bilateral beasts. Taylor also hasn't done himself justice in those events I'd say, apart from that knock vs. Pakistan in 2011.

Root is also quietly going about building up a very impressive ODI record.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Didn't have to look too hard TBH. Against the same opposition, even though he was playing second fiddle to QdK in that game.

3rd ODI (D/N), England tour of South Africa at Centurion, Feb 9 2016 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
Are you seriously comparing an inning where a batsmen was chasing 330+ single-handedly(Latham gave some support but it was completely Taylor-esque performance) while coming to bat at score of 2-2 to the one where Amla played second fiddle to de Kock who was the more dynamic of the two and took the attack up front to lessen down the pressure?